Second-grade Loveland student reportedly suspended for imaginary weapon : Swingers Discussion 216546101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsSecond-grade Loveland student reportedly suspended for imaginary weapon
TOPIC: Second-grade Loveland student reportedly suspended for imaginary weapon
Created by: fjep91754
Original Starting post for this thread:
denverpost.c om/breakingnews/ci_22524862/second-grade-loveland-student-reportedly-suspended-imaginary-weapon

LOVELAND -- A 7-year-old Mary Blair Elementary School student says he's confused about getting in trouble for trying to save the world from evil, though Thompson School District officials contend that the boy broke one of the school's “absolutes.”

Parent Mandie Watkins said Mary Blair principal Valerie Lara-Black called her Friday afternoon to inform her that her second-grade son, Alex, had been suspended for throwing an imaginary grenade during recess on the playground.

Alex did not have anything in his hand at the time and made no threats toward other people, Watkins reportedly was told.

Watkins said Alex's story matched up with the principal's account: He threw the pretend grenade at an imaginary box that had something evil inside.

He was going to save the earth this way, and when he threw the grenade he pretended that the box exploded, in apparent success.

“He is very confused,” Watkins told the Reporter-Herald on Tuesday. “I'm confused as well, so it makes it hard for me to enforce these rules when I don't even understand them.”

The rules are laid out by Mary Blair Elementary School in a list of “absolutes” that are posted on the school's website and are aimed at making Mary Blair a safe environment.

Included in those absolutes are no physical abuse or fighting – real or play – and the no-weapons absolute also covers real or play weapons.

District policy does not prohibit imaginary weapons, but Superintendent Stan Scheer said individual schools are permitted to add enhancements to the general student code of conduct.

“It fell under that set of local policy they have in the building, and it was shared with all parents in the community at the beginning of the year,” Scheer said.

The district does not discuss disciplinary issues, but Scheer said there's more to the story than he was able to comment on.

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 19   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Yeah, but you can feel completely reasonable and be called an "anti gun" person, just for making suggestions. Or, as Fun just did, for debunking some boolsheet post.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
I understood it to mean just that too.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18781 posts)
And before anyone gets their panties twisted, my use of "nuts" wasn't intended pejoratively; more of a shorthand for "people for whom this issue is really really important and who spend a lot of time and emotion thinking and talking about it."

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10769 posts)
Yeah I remember those. Pointless.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18781 posts)
Actually, I was prompted to look by that story posted in the Pop Tarts thread, about the teacher's suspension. Those stories that sound over the top, usually have another side to them.

I just remember this thread, because it was one of the few I posted in during the first couple of months this year. On the few occasions then that I checked this forum, it seemed like the gun nuts were making new threads for every incident they could find, followed by anti-gun nuts responding in kind.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10769 posts)
Yes I know that wasn't the topic at hand. But dammit there's nothing good right now!

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18781 posts)
Man... Fun's digging back through old threads....

After last week being saturated with the events in MS, TX, and Boston, + North Korea, suddenly we have a drought of news. Must.... dig for... old stuff... ;)

Harry Reid decided to stir the pot in a speech in the Senate:

We have a situation where this country has been driven by the Tea Party for the last number of years. When I was in school, I studied government and I learned about the anarchists. Now, they were different than the Tea Party because they were violent. But they were anarchists because they did not believe in government in any level and they acknowledged it. The Tea Party kind of hides that. They don't say they're against government, but that's what it amounts to. They don’t do physically destructive things to buildings or people “directly” but they are doing everything they can to throw a monkey wrench into any form of government, whether it's local, whether it's state or federal government. That's what it's all about. So, anything they can do to throw a monkey wrench into the wheels of government, they're happy doing that, and I'm sorry to say my friend from Oklahoma [Senator?] is helping them, not directly but indirectly, and that's wrong. Government is not inherently bad; government is inherently good, that's why we have a constitution, and that's what we direct the activities of this government based upon. So, madam President we have a situation here which is really not good.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18781 posts)
Often these stories that sound outrageous and are breathlessly touted to make a point, just don't stand up to calmer scrutiny. 

Just for grins I went back and checked into this one. It turns out that the little boy was not suspended at all, and it wasn't for throwing anything imaginary. The kid had a history of discipline problems, and this occasion involved him throwing non-imaginary rocks at other kids. He had to spend some time in the Principal's office but wasn't suspended; his own mom was the one who removed him from school. 

The only person saying otherwise was the kid's mom who, it turns out, has a lengthy criminal record including false reporting of crimes, felony theft, forgery, two (2) arson charges, and child neglect. 

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10769 posts)
"The district does not discuss disciplinary issues, but Scheer said there's more to the story than he was able to comment on."

From personal experience I'm aware of dozens of instances where disgruntled students or employees took to the media to tell one (false) side of a horror story about a public school. School districts usually don't set the record straight, for fear of violating confidentiality laws.

The downside is that people with an agenda seize upon the false, one-sided story, and trumpet it to promote their agenda. I'm betting there is more to this than meets the eye, that might or might not come out in the wash. In the meantime, it is fodder for yet one more badly-needed message board thread about weapon-related hysteria. /sarcasm switch on

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10769 posts)
Party:

While this is true, the right would jump at cutting the arts as the arts is what pushes people to challenge things and to ask questions.

The fact remains that this was an injustice done to the kid and it shouldn't be allowed.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7248 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 19   End
TOPIC: Second-grade Loveland student reportedly suspended for imaginary weapon