Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics Scanner - Crime Fighting Break Thru or Invasion of Privacy
TOPIC: Scanner - Crime Fighting Break Thru or Invasion of Privacy
Created by: dzzyred
Original Starting post for this thread:
Police say Mobilisa Inc.'s m2500 Defense ID system shows promise of saving them time and helping them fight crime. Critics say it intensifies questions about privacy.

The Port Townsend, Wash., wireless technology company says its handheld electronic scanner can identify within a second whether someone is a fugitive from justice, has a violent criminal past or is a convicted sex offender.

The scanner reads the magnetic strip or barcode on state-issued ID cards, passports and driver's licenses. It uses the information to determine whether a person shows up on wanted or watch lists, including ones from the Drug Enforcement Agency and Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 11   End
User Details are only visible to members.
People, people you should worry more about Russian hackers and bored 15 year olds than the government trying to control your life. Really information technology can either be used by the "good" guys or can be used by the "bad" guys. Actually it's being used by both, and to handcuff the local governments and federal government agencies because we worry about our privacy does not address the misuse of this technology by the criminals who they want to catch. You can't have a system that's 100% safe, but you can ensure checks and balances. This is a good thing until it's proven to be a bad thing, lets start worrying about the "bad" guys who we know wants to hurt us.......like terrorist maybe......

Arlington TX
Username hidden
(2284 posts)
DebJack

"I will not allow my information to be scanned by a bouncer or anyone else, except police, and then they better have a good reason, just to prove who I am."

But having your phone tapped for information is Ok?

St Petersburg FL
Username hidden
(989 posts)
The neocons ought to love this device. One step closer to getting the mark of the beast implanted on your forehead and the commencing of the apocolypse and subsequent rapture.

Welcome back, Jesus!

Goose Creek SC
Username hidden
(1690 posts)
im right with u there. im pretty much ok with the police having access to all that information for the proper use at the proper time but the other instances downright scare me. when i was in minsk, the police would just walk down the street and point to cars for no reason and stop them to "check papers". it was very "chilling" to say the least...

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
i think the invasion of privacy concerns comes from who stores this information, who could use such a scanner. could people outside of law enforcement purchase and use them, how about banks, concert venues..

what about each bar (yes we are youthful enough to still get carded!! haha) who checks your id was able to do this.

are these legitimate privacy concerns?

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
Again would the same information be availiable to the guards at a slower pace.

Miramar FL
Username hidden
(2075 posts)
it is also being used at Andrews Airforce base to check visitors..

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
So is this information that the police would have been privy to anyway just that they are getting it... what.... faster?

Miramar FL
Username hidden
(2075 posts)
it is now being tested in ohio. i believe it can be used by police for any reason once they have stopped and asked for your ID...

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
The question I have Dzzy is why would the ID be scanned in the first place?

Miramar FL
Username hidden
(2075 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 11   End
TOPIC: Scanner - Crime Fighting Break Thru or Invasion of Privacy