Remember Fukushima : Swingers Discussion 209971
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsRemember Fukushima
TOPIC: Remember Fukushima
Created by: TheGhost_and_MrsMuir
Original Starting post for this thread:
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5
 1 to 10 of 45   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Let us hope without further incident.

Hazle Township PA

Username hidden
(6894 posts)
So..... anyway, obviously Ghost never bothered to come back to back up his statements or explain why mine were incorrect. But in any case, removal of the sets of fuel rods began on Monday.

4 down. 1,529 to go. It's expected to take about a year.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17660 posts)
Yahoo! is reporting an Earthquake close to the Fukushima plant. 5.3 magnitude as of 2:41 EST. Probably not so bad.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17660 posts)
So did you ask your friend, Ghost? Or is he busy helping plan the abandonment of Tokyo or maybe half of Japan?

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17660 posts)
So did you ask your friend, Ghost?

Add-on: While I am not as familiar with MOX (as it's not commonly used in the US due to President Carter's ban on fuel reprocessing, and the only source for the plutonium is leftover from nuclear weapon manufacture), what is it you think is so horrible about MOX compared to any other nuclear fuel? It's not especially reactive or dangerous compared to others. What is it you hope I will learn by reading more about MOX?

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17660 posts)
Look, I don't know how many times I need to repeat myself to get you to stop saying that I'm not being serious about it. Of course it's serious. It's a very big deal.

However, this doesn't change the fundamentals behind what causes a critical excursion, which is that enough mass is in one radius that the neutrons being emitted by the fission events exceed those that escape thus causing a chain reaction. I told you what was required to cause that. Having more of them around doesn't change the fundamentals.

Also, your statement about the zirconium casings igniting in air - what? Zirconium is not pyrophoric. The fires with the zirconium casings happen in the event of superheated steam (>900 °C) contacting the rods which causes release of (flammable) hydrogen. This sort of situation doesn't exist in a fuel pool. Zirconium is unreactive in air to the point where the caps of the rod are welded on.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17660 posts)
Ghost:

While I am all for going green... Placing windmills throughout the country side, solar farms where there is little to no population, using tilde wave generation, ect... Nuclear power is sadly going to have to be part of the equation.

Japan's problem isn't the nuclear plant, it is their culture of hiding failure and shame, avoiding direct confrontation with peers who might endanger everyone...

They in short need to learn how to do their damned jobs.

What the rest of us need to do is to develop safer nuclear plants, figure out how to remove the radiation from the plants we have and lift the ban on recycling our nuclear waste.

Most every nation in the world allows nuclear fuel and waste to be reused as medical devices and other civilian applications... Except for the US. Only in the US, do we mandate that a X-ray device not use recycled radioactive materials. This alone would reduce our build up of radiation.

Above all other factors, this is why we fear Iran and NK having nuclear power, much less weapons. Weapons are almost 99% stable, they are put in a warehouse and kept under lock and key, not to be used, moved or touched until maintenance is preformed.

Nuclear power in a third world nation will not end well for any of us.

Hazle Township PA

Username hidden
(6894 posts)
Oh, one more factoid. The aquifer that Tokyo uses runs UNDER the region where the reactors are situated. They are geologically connected. You can't live anywhere without a water supply. (My daughter is a geologist). There are currently three reactors that they suspect have breeched their containment...

Evacuate Tokyo and abandon it? Perhaps all of northern Japan in a worst case....

Seriously, you're not really worried about this?

East Fishkill NY

Username hidden
(2788 posts)
Meh

I came up here to,post stuff I thought everyone should know, I'm not back.

Way too busy actually getting laid and building our business for this place....

You of all people should not be back burnering this story. It's real, it's dangerous as hell and it needs WAY more sunlight in this country.

East Fishkill NY

Username hidden
(2788 posts)
Look, let's be intellectually honest here... The two situations have nearly zero similarities. Size, (the Demon vs nearly 1600 assemblies of fuel? MOX at that?) concentration of fisable material, lack of any kind of normal controls.... Lets not even consider statements like these from some very 'tony' scientists: "The current situation is at the point where more surveillance won't be enough to keep the accidents from happening," declared Shunichi Tanaka, chairman of the NRA.

The likely result of any one of Fukushima’s problems getting out of hand is that no one can then get close enough to keep the other reactors’ problems under control, so everything goes; all the problems manifest their worst. - See more at: ://ww .fukushimafaq.info/#sthash.E9tuuIYN.dpuf

East Fishkill NY

Username hidden
(2788 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5
 1 to 10 of 45   End
TOPIC: Remember Fukushima