Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics Professor Bans Fox News As Source
TOPIC: Professor Bans Fox News As Source
Created by: Seduction4Two
Original Starting post for this thread:

GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 26   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Gee...I can't imagine why Was this professor a member of the "friends of Hamas" by any chance?

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3844 posts)
"Could you objectively distinguish this from a tendency of your own family to be "right leaning"?

"Nope ... "

Got it, thanks.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
actually I can identify a profs thinking with a few questions about these subjects, guns, abortions, affirmative action, and the repayment of student loans. The first two are diversion, the second two will disclose where they come from.

Affirmative action is nothing more than liberal accepted institutional racism. The repaying of student loans is a question that is really about personal integrity and self responsibility.

Red Bluff CA
Username hidden
(438 posts)
Could you objectively distinguish this from a tendency of your own family to be "right leaning"?

Nope it comes from real knowledge from family members who have been on the Calif. UC Board of Regents, From family members still teach at several different colleges, From my wife's 8 years of college experience, My 6 years, and the combined 10 years of my daughters. My son is off to college next year and I expect nothing to be different. All of us at different colleges..... Why is it that when you do not agree with those on the left they want to assume that it is because that person is some uneducated redneck??? It never crosses their mind that there are other rational and sometimes more accurate points of view. They just automatically think they own possess, and know all the knowledge about everything and can never, ever, be wrong. I guess this attitude of superiority allows them to feel better about themselves.

Red Bluff CA
Username hidden
(438 posts)
"What there *is* in academia, however, is an opportunity for more "power", as opposed to money. Politicians listen to you. You can sometimes drive public opinion, and to some extent pick winners and losers by influencing public policy decisions. Like all people with power, you can use it for good and bad."

Nice!

Some people don't understand, or acknowledge the politics of Science.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17386 posts)
"I assume there's more money in industry than in academia, at least for certain personality types. "

Yes, and no at the same time. I'd say there are more opportunities in industry, but you are also much less protected if you are an incompetent fool who somehow survived the rigors of grad school. I liked having my career opportunities largely determined by my abilities (or shortcomings) rather than by who I know, whose ass I kiss, and how many years I've been there. I'm certainly not saying that's *never* the case in industry, but less so, for sure.

What there *is* in academia, however, is an opportunity for more "power", as opposed to money. Politicians listen to you. You can sometimes drive public opinion, and to some extent pick winners and losers by influencing public policy decisions. Like all people with power, you can use it for good and bad.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20271 posts)
"They expected me to talk like a technogeek all the time .."

Well you do! Seriously, that was a very reasonable explanation and description. I assume there's more money in industry than in academia, at least for certain personality types.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
The professor is a low life indoctrinator. All media outlets are biased and present the news with a slant.

The teacher's job is to teach, not to indoctrinate.

Teach the student how to research, how to determine what is or isn't factual.

New Orleans LA
Username hidden
(17093 posts)
"Would you have another explanation for why better-educated people would be more "left" than you are? "

I'd change that wording a little - plenty of different political leanings enter universities and become educated; it's what they do after. Those that remain in academia or go into government work tend to be more left-leaning, while those who go out into industry are more likely to be right-leaning. I stress "tend to" - you'll find plenty of both in all situations though.

If you had asked me in my 2nd year of grad school, I would have told you I wanted to be a professor. By my last year, I had sworn off academia. I couldn't stand the politics (in all senses of the word) in the academic world. I loved teaching, I loved research. But there were ways for me to do that in industry too, and doing so free from the "it's who you know" ways of fighting over funding.

So I went from a university chemistry department containing roughly 40 PhDs (faculty and post-doc fellows), very predominantly left-leaning, and moved into a company with 180 PhDs (mostly local). Very different people with very different ideas than those in academia.

The major distinction I draw is that the industry PhDs tend to be largely unknown in their social lives as such, and do not have the same kind of recognition and distinction as academic ones. Most people we know socially - even for years - don't know about my education, and those who find out are shocked. They expected me to talk like a technogeek all the time or something.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20271 posts)
norcal, are you saying that the tens of thousands of people in college education, from university presidents down to teaching assistants, are predominantly "very left leaning"?

Could you objectively distinguish this from a tendency of your own family to be "right leaning"?

Would you have another explanation for why better-educated people would be more "left" than you are?

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 26   End
TOPIC: Professor Bans Fox News As Source