Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Politics › Predictions!!!
TOPIC: Predictions!!!
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 198  Next »
12 to 21 of 1977
User Details are only visible to members.
People, both dumb, semi dumb, semi smart, regardless of how educated they are, all vote for one thing: What they think will do them the most good. If you are poor and dumb, you vote for a Sanders, because he claims he will give you stuff fast, and you are in need. And, he will take it from the rich bastards, (as a bonus) ; If you are semi dumb, you're probably not yet broke, but worried, so you vote for Hillary who also promises a lot of Government Goodies. Either way, you also like the idea of Taxing the rich because, somewhat like Robert, you blame them for your misery, and because you are jealous, so you hate the successful. If you are smart, even semi smart, you vote for a Republican because you think you will do better in the long run because you trust the Free Enterprise Economy to be the most productive, and all ships rise with a rising tide. You see a balanced budget and economy and low taxes and a smaller government as the best way to bring that about. And you have a good job and enough savings to wait for the rise to come. Then there is another group, I call it the special interests group. These will vote for Hillary, because they prefer to make various deals with politicians to get money. That's kind of the surest way to get rich. These would be the already rich and the very rich who are involved in wall street and banking activity, union employees, college professors, specialty farmers, all who benefit from Government largesse, all who look for special treatment, and, lest we forget the huge numbers of Government employees. That's the way it is, and that's the way it will be. Who ever said we were all born equal was out of his mind!

Hockessin DE
Username hidden
(2122 posts)
"Democracies end when they are too democratic."

Tytler?

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25134 posts)
Found common ground. Have to agree with Va and tbr.

Christoval TX
Username hidden
(1168 posts)
It's in New York Magazine

"Democracies end when they are too democratic."

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19800 posts)
On what?

I'm unable to find it.. When I searched his page it went to an old 2015 article....

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25134 posts)
Andrew Sullivan has a good piece on this today...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19800 posts)
Well I'm going to agree with you on just about everything there.

Basically, I don't see Donald winning as out of the question. I used to. I don't want him to, but that doesn't mean I can't see it happening.

However, if it does, this is not going to be the Fourth Reich; we will survive it and in the end we'll be OK. There really isn't that much that a president can do when Congress is totally lined up against him.

I've believed that this exercise will ultimately be a good thing, because I think it's made more people pay attention to how a primary works. Well, more Republicans anyway. Many Democrats are still under the delusion that Bernie has this in a lock because opinion polls of him are (sometimes) more favorable, as if this whole delegates/primary thing doesn't really matter.

The other reason I think it will be a good thing is because I hope it will cause a tear-down and rebuild of the Republican party, which I think it badly needs.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25134 posts)
tbr, take Trump over Hillary anytime. Maybe we all can "all" make some money with him as President.

Thornton CO
Username hidden
(2708 posts)
Well, it is somewhat complicated, but it goes back to what we have both said for years.

People are stupid.

They only pay attention during election years, and then only to the messages they want to hear.

Their representative could be voting to sacrifice babies between elections, but as long as they come out against the godless commies (or poverty wage employers) come election time, hey the gravy train continues.

Look around. The Donald, one of the biggest crony capitalists in the country, rails against crony capitalism, and people eat it up. Hillary, the Washington insider, gets all populist, and people don't remember anything before...

There are tons of other examples, but I'm typing on my phone...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19800 posts)
"People vote against things, not for things. "

I want to agree with you, but I can't, at least not very much. If that were true we wouldn't see such a high rate of incumbents being reelected. People want to vote FOR something, even if it's superficial and simply noisy.

Case in point is the 2004 election, and to a lesser extent 2012. In 2004 the country was plenty prepared to fire GWB, provided they were given a suitable alternative. They were not. The Democrats ran on a "Bush sucks" platform and they lost. If voting against someone was all it took then 2004 and probably 2012 would have not gone the way they had.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25134 posts)
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 198  Next »
12 to 21 of 1977
TOPIC: Predictions!!!
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.