Pop Tart Guns and Trauma Counselling : Swingers Discussion 21834510201
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsPop Tart Guns and Trauma Counselling
TOPIC: Pop Tart Guns and Trauma Counselling
GoTo Page: Less ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... More 
Start   201 to 210 of 260   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Suicide absolutely has to be a part of any discussion of firearms. Study after study after study has come to the conclusion that firearms embolden those who would not attempt to take their own life any other way and that the vast majority of people who attempt suicide once and fail never try again. Firearms seldom offer that second chance

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3842 posts)
Speaking of suicide, and I know this is waaaay off topic....

I just read a news report of a 44-year old woman who strapped her 10-month old son to her chest, left behind a rambling 13-page suicide letter about how she was a bad mother, and jumped from the 8th floor of a building. She landed on her back and her baby is mostly OK, it seems.

It seriously pains me to see how people can be so unhappy, so desperate and so much feeling like they have no other options that they do these things to themselves. I cannot imagine the level of pain people must be in in order to do that.

My biggest weakness in the whole world is seeing people in abject misery. I seriously am affected by it. I try to avoid thinking about it too much because it upsets me so much. More than 10 years after I saw a man die on the sidewalk from a heart attack while his helpless wife and 4 or so year old son watched, it is really hard for me to fight back tears thinking about it. The look on their faces, being able to read the fear, despair and horror, was the worst thing I ever saw in my life and I can never forget it.

Sorry to go on about that....

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19463 posts)
Except that firearms are not the only method of suicide with a high "success" rate.

The preferred method of suicide in the US is firearms. The fatality rate is around 85% (depends hugely on the type of firearms and the location of the shot - a shotgun blast to the head is practically 100% fatal, while a handgun shot to the abdomen is only about 65% fatal). The guns with the highest success rate are actually the ones that are the least likely to face any kind of ban at all, namely shotguns and hunting rifles. People aren't killing themselves with AR-15s or AK-47s, by and large.

The preferred methods in Japan are jumping in front of trains and hanging, both of which have success rates of well over 90% (approaching 100% for trains).

Suicide statistics are confounded often by the inclusion of attempts that were not intended to actually kill the person, but instead were to get attention. Someone who takes a handful of Tylenol and then calls her boyfriend to tell him counts as a suicide attempt, even though the attempt was probably not serious. However, gunshots to the head and leaping off of bridges or in front of trains are far more likely to be "real" suicide attempts, and their stats are much more reliable.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19463 posts)
Guns are very effective suicide tools. A relatively small percentage of people survive an attempt, compared to other means. Survivors seldom attempt it again.

To me, this indicates that a less lethal means would produce fewer 'successful' suicides.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
It's rather silly to include suicide in that number, as the general lack of firearms doesn't seem to drive overall suicide rates but instead simply changes the preferred method. Bringing suicide numbers into the argument is an attempt to make the situation appear worse than it actually is.

More than 900 people a day commit suicide in China (no stats on method that I can find), more than 40 a day in South Korea (a country with 1/6 our population), and more than 75 per day in Japan, which has less than half our population and is virtually devoid of firearms.

In fact, the US is basically in the middle of the pack of OECD countries (18th out of 35). Many countries that you wouldn't expect are higher, such as France, Switzerland, Austria, Ireland, New Zealand, Finland and Sweden.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(19463 posts)
Sounds like PP runs with his local OMG in Cook County or they run him. He seems to know a great deal about their lifestyle. Either that or he watches to much Sons Of Anarchy.

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
Mark...nahhhhh...but you see it posted right here on SLS all the time

"Jack, Meth and Leather 2013" "We meet at Spike and Pussycats at 7AM for jack and cokes, then we hit the road, we hit 5 bars between 7 and noon and have a drink at each one, ride drunk to a BBQ and gang bang at LindaLou's trailer, who will have her 5 kids sedated with NyQuil, then hit 6 more bars for drinks, we have a bar fight and someone gets stabbed beat up and left in a ditch, then back to Spike and Pussycats to tweak and after 12 hours of road grime, drinking and smoking meth, we have a play party with no place to take a shower Couples $40 Dudes $60 Bitches $10 Everyone throws in an additional $15 for a bail fund for those who get DUIs Bring a bottle of amonia and get 5% off All proceeds go to Toys for tots.

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3842 posts)
:30 per day murdered. The other 60 are suicides. "

dang, why are those guns so mean?

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(16994 posts)
pp: So you have first hand experience of attending a party at a meth lab. Can you expand on that.

Tulare CA
Username hidden
(1880 posts)
Party I had to scrape up the 100 bucks to shoot in it, But I have no problem helping a great cause,,,ENOUGH SAID,

Mickey.

Rayne LA
Username hidden
(4938 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... More 
Start   201 to 210 of 260   End
TOPIC: Pop Tart Guns and Trauma Counselling