Pop Tart Guns and Trauma Counselling : Swingers Discussion 21834510171
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsPop Tart Guns and Trauma Counselling
TOPIC: Pop Tart Guns and Trauma Counselling
GoTo Page: Less ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... More 
Start   171 to 180 of 260   End
User Details are only visible to members.
As of 2008, over 90% of active service military are under 40, with the average age being 28.

The spread for suicides is much broader, but the peak ages are between 25-55, with the average age being about 42.

I think the point of the numbers we've worked out is that the suicide rates in the military do not seem to be dramatically different from the general populace, once controlled for confounding factors such as gender.

Interesting fact: Blacks have the lowest suicide rate in the United States, along with hispanics. White and Asians commit suicide 2.5x that of blacks and hispanics.

It actually doesn't seem to matter what country you're in - Asians have the highest suicide rate, followed by whites, then hispanics, and then blacks. Interesting. Why?

Note: We have very scant statistics on suicide in southeast Asia and the Middle East. But generally, suicide is far more prevalent in east Asia and eastern Europe than the rest of the world.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17598 posts)
“They ought to allow the individual to block others and thus the individual doesn't see the post of the persons they block.”

LOL

Robert- that’s what does happen- Outdoors can’t see your posts, and you can’t see his. It’s tough to keep track of who has blocked whom unless you keep a spreadsheet.

Brooklyn Park MN

Username hidden
(3843 posts)
Maybe military suicides are above the norm for that age -- guys in the prime of life. Also there are veteran suicides; but this demographic includes guys who are missing a limb or 2, have PTSD, etc.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
VA:

I can't see what outdoor post. That is why I do not like this forums version of the block game. It destroy's the continuity of any conversation.

They ought to allow the individual to block others and thus the individual doesn't see the post of the persons they block.

Hazle Township PA

Username hidden
(6877 posts)
VA:

The military has a suicide problem, many counts of suicide aren't counted for multiple reasons. (SGLI or other issues use to be a leading cause of calling a suicide accidental.)

Case in point, the soldier returns home from iraq, buys a motorcycle and takes on a mack truck in a game of chicken... A game they (the soldier) won't flinch in because that soldier chose to die and make it seem accidental.

Also and more pointedly, is the suicide rates you are looking at counting the national guard? Because my father has had to bury four men he served with... All suicides. (2004-2011) That is on top of the three men they lost in the first three months of the war.

Hazle Township PA

Username hidden
(6877 posts)
Jesus Christ Robert.......

If you'd been paying attention at all you'd see that I was just making an adjustment to the numbers outdoor was quoting, since he was measuring a non-military suicide rate, he had to exclude military personnel from his population count.

It has nothing to do with "not counting them", or bankers, welfare cases or whatever your cause-du-jour is today. It was simply an adjustment to a statistical calculation.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17598 posts)
Actually I'm a little surprised it worked out that way - haven't we been led to believe that military suicides were way above the general population?

Considering the stress many of them are under, I actually find it surprising that their suicide rate is in line with that of the general population.

People need to remember that the military is not a very representative cross-section of the country in terms of almost any measurable demographic - age, race, gender, socioeconomic background etc. Any comparisons made with them should control for these factors as best as possible.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17598 posts)
Va:

The military are our countrymen as well, they ought to be counted. But they ought to be counted in a category which list possible coalitions.

For example:

Males- Group A: Bank accountants or other big business people. Group B: Young adults: Sub-group B: Young adults with disabilities. Group C: Military Sub-group B: Military with disabilities or war related issues.

Is this burying you under a mountain of information? Yes, but it is useful when you are discussing the topics. It cannot be easily denounced as factual as all groups are labeled individually and can be seen as individual issues which maybe addressed and resolved differently.

Hazle Township PA

Username hidden
(6877 posts)
Hmm, right you are. Now I am seeing that 349 active duty service-people killed themselves last year.

This makes active military just about twice the US average, and exactly the same as for all males -- 25 per 100k.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
No, it makes it 12.26. If you take the 300 military suicides out of the total number, you also have to take the total active service military (about 1.5 million) out of the number.

The military is more than 85% male, which could skew their suicide numbers up slightly, given that most suicides in the general population are males.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17598 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... More 
Start   171 to 180 of 260   End
TOPIC: Pop Tart Guns and Trauma Counselling