Pop Tart Guns and Trauma Counselling : Swingers Discussion 21834510161
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsPop Tart Guns and Trauma Counselling
TOPIC: Pop Tart Guns and Trauma Counselling
GoTo Page: Less ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... More 
Start   161 to 170 of 260   End
User Details are only visible to members.
<<< is confused.

Is va agreeing with me or is he repeating cplo and adding to his statments?

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7248 posts)
"WTF are you talking about? "

That's like asking "Please Sir, barf in my face again?"

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18779 posts)
Cplo:

You said that the military is a reflection of our society. I am saying that you are wrong.

You can't quit the military like you can any job. You can't simply call in sick, or say the snow made you late. (in the military, late is being AWOL that yields an article 15.)

There are other aspects that inflict a greater amount of pressure upon our service members than what any civilian is afflicted with.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7248 posts)
WTF are you talking about?

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3199 posts)
Cplo:

On the aspect of the asians/Asians-Americans I agree.

On the aspect of the military, there are other considerations to account for. Namely the extra pressures associated with being under the microscope 24/7, commanded to do more and sacrofice more.

In a civilian job, you can tell your boss that you quit, in the military, you cannot.

Personally I find it offensive when people stand there and say those in the military are under the same amount of pressure as any civilian. This thought is total ignorance and bullshit.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7248 posts)
"I think the point of the numbers we've worked out is that the suicide rates in the military do not seem to be dramatically different from the general populace, once controlled for confounding factors such as gender."

That's because the military is by and large a direct reflection of society. Every problem that plagues society can be found in the military (thieves, drunks, drug addicts, dealers, criminals, rapists, etc) and in most cases at or around the same percentage as the general populous. I'd say that the number of murders committed by servicemen/women are dramatically lower than the rest of the US, but that's probably one of the very few exceptions to the rule.

As for Asian suicide rates, I think a lot of that has to do with the emphasis on personal honor/family name in Asian cultures. Asians don't take public humiliation or embarrassment very well because they're taught from the day they're born that family and personal honor and integrity pretty much come before anything else. For many, suicide isn't an escape, it's more of a means of atonement.

And as far as Asian-Americans go, they're more or less in line with the US suicide rate. The biggest difference is their motivations, with family conflict being the primary factor in Asian-Americans rather than depression, financial trouble or work-related issues which are the leading causes for most other races. Older Asian-Americans who immigrated to the US or Asian born students sent to the US for college are also a higher risk to attempt suicide than Asian-Americans born in the US. For older Asian-Americans, particularly women, they dedicate their entire lives to the family. When their US born children grow up and move out like most other kids in this country, it leaves the mothers feeling unfulfilled without having family to take care of. Asian students sent to colleges and universities in this country are under extreme pressure from their families to not just do well, but to overachieve. So anything less than finishing in say the top 1% of your class could leave an Asian student feeling shameful, especially if the parents are unsatisfied with the grades.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3199 posts)
people who have anal sex have the lowest rate of all.after all the guy that will fuck you in the ass is just behind you.and they never go away

Kingston TN
Username hidden
(1991 posts)
Va:

I had taken a sociology course in college. We debated this very issue and most everyone agreed with the following.

"Interesting fact: Blacks have the lowest suicide rate in the United States, along with hispanics. White and Asians commit suicide 2.5x that of blacks and hispanics."

Look at the social support that blacks and Hispanics have.

From tighter nit religious congregations which aren't as radical to larger family sizes to rely upon. That social support reduces the likelihood of falling so low as to commit suicide.

"It actually doesn't seem to matter what country you're in - Asians have the highest suicide rate, followed by whites, then hispanics, and then blacks. Interesting. Why?"

Asian culture places greater importance on protecting the whole and less on yourself. Thus if you bring shame, or are believed to have brought shame upon the house or family, or even if you failed in some important task, you had to restore the families/clan honor by taking ones life.

This was something that happened most with the higher levels of their society, but the masses always try to mimic the leaders, the higher levels of the society.

"Note: We have very scant statistics on suicide in southeast Asia and the Middle East. But generally, suicide is far more prevalent in east Asia and eastern Europe than the rest of the world."

East Europe? I can't intelligently state that it is because they are closer to the third world nations of the middle east, WWII or the Soviets attempts to destroy religion.

But if cultures with greater important placed on protecting family/clan honor and or societies with fewer family bonds are at greater risk of suicide, a mix of everything could also create similarly high suicide rates.

Mostly it comes down to expectations of success and how large your social web is and your willingness to ask for support.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7248 posts)
I doubt it. How many suicide attacks are there every year? A hundred at most, I think. Compared to the over 300,000 suicides in China a year, I think this is a very small (but highly visible) number.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18779 posts)
"We have very scant statistics on suicide in southeast Asia and the Middle East. "

Well, you know there have been quite a few suicide bombers from Asia. Is it a significant fraction of all suicides?

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... More 
Start   161 to 170 of 260   End
TOPIC: Pop Tart Guns and Trauma Counselling