Poll: A Surprising GOP Edge for '08 : Swingers Discussion 761651021
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsPoll: A Surprising GOP Edge for '08
TOPIC: Poll: A Surprising GOP Edge for '08
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4
Start   21 to 30 of 31   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Dan,

Of course I am not, but I do think it is a joke to blame everything on "waspish men".

Minden NV

Username hidden
(4041 posts)
"i see and experience this every day, along with many friends & relatives. "...So everyday you are discriminated against......boy sucks being you huh!!

Miramar FL

Username hidden
(2075 posts)
I also found it interesting that in 1996 when people were unhappy with Clinton they did not come out to vote in mass to stop him from being reelected. Voters actually stayed home in 1996, registering the lowest percentage of voters since 1924.

Therefore I also disagree that people would come out to vote against Hillary or Obama. History suggests that when voters are disgusted or think negative of a candidate they stay home, displaying apathy not activism.

Minden NV

Username hidden
(4041 posts)
The U.S. Census states there are more adult females then males in the U.S. and that in both 2000 and 2004 National elections there were more registered female voters then male voters, with males declining by almost 8 million votes since 1996.

Since females represent the largest voting block does that mean that the double standard and discrimination being referred to is not just by the "waspish type men".

I'm sorry, but since the number of women voters out numbers the male voters and with the growing number of minority voters, I believe that a minority and/or female has a very good chance of being elected. I also think that the "waspish type male" that would only vote for another white male are a minority themselves. In my opinion, most "waspish type males", like myself will vote for character and on issues, regardless of a candidate's ethnic background or gender.

Minden NV

Username hidden
(4041 posts)
I would vote for Condi on any ticket so I guess I am progressive? LOL

Saint Louis MO

Username hidden
(12439 posts)
im not suprised by this poll, especially this early in the election. and i agree that one of the main problems for the dems is that their top two candidates at this point are indeed a woman and an african america. i am convinced that there are many people in this country would would not vote for either just because they are that, a woman and an american american. that's a huge factor. I really believed that this election was too soon for Obama and wish he would have spent the next several years in polishing up his foreign policy experience and gaining some national prominence before jumping into the presidential race. i guess from his standpoint maybe he thought this was the best chance he had to win.

Philadelphia PA

Username hidden
(5326 posts)
Dan,

I hope you are right. However, you, yourself have pointed out how polls can change over time. The election is still a little over a year away and when it comes down to crunch time, I believe she will pull it out. I think her toughest challenge will be in the Democratic Primary. The current Republican candidates have to many issues that will ultimately send conservative voters elsewhere. Either they will stay home as many did this past November or the will vote, in protest, for the Independent, Libertarian, etc, candidates with some even casting votes for Hillary. Remember, polls 6 months to 1 year out showed that Gore should of been a shoe in, but he narrowly and ultimately lost to GWB.

Also remember Clinton won in 1992 with only 43 percent (approximate) of the popular vote and only 49 percent in 1996. Based on the divide, not only within the country, but within parties as well, I think whoever wins the Presidency in 2008 will win with less then 50 percent of the vote. Again, I hope I am wrong, but I think Republicans have a much harder mountain to climb to gain back credibility then Hillary does.

Robert

Minden NV

Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Well Dan,

I will make you a little wager, one I do not like, but I honestly believe will happen. With the current crop of conservative candidates and the leverage and money that President Clinton can lend and raise, I believe Hillary will be the next President. I see only Fred Thompson being capable of preventing that and time is slipping away. It will be a close race, but, unfortunately, I think she will win. My wife and I are actually planning our move to Vancouver, Canada in anticipation of that win.

The Republican party still does not get it. They have betrayed everything that Reagan conservatives, like myself, support and believe in. The current deficit mess, expanded government, their lack of leadership in being decisive and harsh in dealing with terrorism and Iraq, as well as the scandals (even some that should not be) are the result of cronyism, mismanagement, apathy and arrogance within the republican ranks. The taking of the House and senate by the Democrats, is not based on anything positive that the current Democrat leadership has done or said, it is based on the failure of the old republican guard to stand by their word, their principles and their base.

Although I have no faith in anything the current Democrat leadership says or stands for, the problems facing conservatives are "home grown", so to speak, and a result of their (our) current leaderships own greed and lack of true accountability or vision.

Minden NV

Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Dan,

Again I have to disagree. I don't think the Unions give two shits what a candidates gender or ethnic background is, only on how that candidate will or will not satisfy their needs. Two of the biggest unions today are federal employees and teachers. Both of those unions have large Democrat blocks, as well as large populations of female voters. The senior vote no longer is as large and important as it was even just a few years ago. The biggest voting block now is the baby boomers, like myself, who are either middle age or moving into the senior category. Most Baby boomers could care less about gender and color, versus how a candidate will effect their lives.

I just don't see it being a core issue anymore, a peripheral one, but not a core issue.

Minden NV

Username hidden
(4041 posts)
I respectfully disagree. A female or minority candidate can be a viable candidate. It is not based on gender or the ethnic background but on two things; how honest the public believes they are and how balanced they are on the issues.

Obama is believed to be a honest candidate who polls well with all Americans on his character. Right now, Obama is hurt by his short record on voting and supporting issues that are considered left of center or far left. Hillary who is actually more moderate and in the middle then Obama, loses on polls concerning her character and honesty. Although race and gender bias is not completely wiped out, it's impact, in my opinion, is minimal at best.

Up to a few years ago, Colin Powell was in the general polls concerning voters, and all indications seemed to reflect he would prove a formidable candidate who would receive support from Republican, Democrat and non-partisan voters. If not for his wife's battle with health and depression, I believe if he ran against the current crop of candidates he would win with a substantial margin. Just MHO.

Minden NV

Username hidden
(4041 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4
Start   21 to 30 of 31   End
TOPIC: Poll: A Surprising GOP Edge for '08