Politics--Who Cares : Swingers Discussion 207158
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsPolitics--Who Cares
TOPIC: Politics--Who Cares
Created by: Fun_Ahoy
Original Starting post for this thread:
My father has told me that in his day, every election year was marked by a daylong "speaking" on the city square. Almost everyone in the county showed up to hear speeches directly from the candidates, from Governor down to county constable. 

Today, the majority of people seem uninterested in, and uninformed about, political issues. Even if they care to pay attention, what passes for "journalism" today is superficial, slanted, or both. TV ads are more often dissembling than anything else, and 30 seconds can't really explain issues in depth anyway. 

Even Presidential debates often seem little more than joint press conferences, with 30 seconds given to follow up before hustling off to the Moderator's next question. 

All of this is why a proposal to push social security eligibility back a couple of years gets demagogued as an attempt to "destroy" it. And a person making $50,000 is fed the lie that "your" taxes would go up under a proposal that applies only to millionaires. A substantial number of people still believe that Saddam masterminded the 9-11 attacks, and cite that "fact" as a reason to invade Iraq. 

Even in these forums absurdities from an email or fringe website get repeated as truth, unquestioned by people supposedly more interested and informed than average. 

What happened to people's interest in actually understanding things, and applying their own critical analysis? 

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 270   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Aint that the truth perf? i have never seen so many pure Idiots.

Mickey.

Rayne LA
Username hidden
(4876 posts)
"it's more like we have an infected leg and it's getting gangrenous."

Mostly comprised of white WORKING Americans. You libtards never cease to amaze me.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(16841 posts)
I think the Repubs have already become the "radical right". Didn't Romney call himself a "severe conservative", and isn't he their leader?

The Tea Party philosophy is that dumb and simplistic arguments are superior to well thought arguments, because ... well, there are psychological theories for that.

They hijacked the Republican Party, whose leaders all swore to never raise a tax, nor ever end any "temporary" tax break; and the purpose is to shrink government out of existence.

This is self-defeat by definition.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Outdoor:

So if the dems took the center and will (we hope) leave the radical left behind and the republicans become the radical right.... wouldn't this meant that we become a tri party nation with a strong democratic party?

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7364 posts)
Well, some 30-40% of American voters are rather diehard Republicans. It's not like we can just order a new leg and install it. It's more like we have an infected leg and it's getting gangrenous.

Of course, some new party might arise to replace the Repubs. There would presumably be a void created, but it may take a few years or election cycles. By shifting ever rightward, they're marching off the cliff; and the Dems have already moved to the centrist position.

One can imagine simplistic fringe parties left and right -- Greens and Libertarians, say. But the Repubs abandoned the reasonable middle, and the Dems just had to accept the default and occupy it.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
out:

By this point and if the world were good capitalist. Would they not be shifting their economic hopes upon selling to the middle east and other nations? We are a instable element and as with all broken legs which are unstable... Is it not best to remove it and replace it with a new, more stable leg?

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7364 posts)
The Australian Treasury Minister said this yesterday: "Despite President Obama's goodwill and strong efforts, the national interest was held hostage by the rise of the extreme right Tea-Party wing of the Republican Party. The consequences were grave..."

Referring to last year's fiscal showdown. And now:

"... global markets are nervously watching the positioning of hardline elements of the Republican Party for signs that they will dangerously block reasonable attempts at compromise. Let's be blunt and acknowledge the biggest threat to the world's biggest economy are the cranks and crazies that have taken over the Republican Party."

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Mark:

It makes perfect sense. Unless the tenets are going to be paid more for the increased price of rent, they need stability. Increased rent places those who are paid minimum wage into the street which means more of them are going to turn to crime as actually working no longer allows them to even have a roof over their heads.

Until you can find a better way of keeping the price of rent controlled for those who do not qualify for housing assistance... You do not get to comment on the methods that do in fact work. It sucks for those who like this man want to improve their environment... but a community is made up of more than just one man.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7364 posts)
Garbage, pure garbage. Arguing just to be arguing. A government allowing garbage to pile up just to keep poor people in affordable housing.....WTF!

Tulare CA
Username hidden
(1880 posts)
Mark:

My state is home to several million people, with hundreds of communities... It is impossible to be up to date on them all, let alone waste my time reading everything about them. Radio, Newspapers and most TV news stations are bias and not a good source of information.

I further stated that I do not know much about the situation and that I had made an assumption based only upon my limited knowledge of the situation. This means that it could be as right as it is wrong and not to be taken as actual evidence. Please learn how to read.

So if you are quite done spouting insults, how about showing charts of the Average income of those who live in that area, the number of businesses and other information. You are the one presenting it as an example of the failure of government, so now you must provide your supporting evidence of your argument.

So far if this would be a debate class, you would have been given an F for failing to provide supporting evidence as you have stated nothing about income brackets of these people and or quality of life other than a garbage dump.

As the only thing you stated about the quality of life in this area is that it is a garbage dump, I was able to make the assumption that it is a low income area. Thus if the government wanted to keep the dump there, they likely wanted the value of the properties to be lower, which in turn keeps lower income persons in a home.

We both are smart enough to understand that a higher value property means higher rent, a higher rent which can't be paid by minimum wage earners. What now do you do with minimum wage earners? Either they become homeless or they are forced to apply for more section 8 housing funds. That means more taxation in order to fund the program.

Again, these are aspects you haven't addressed in your argument and I would like you to address them before we can continue.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7364 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 270   End
TOPIC: Politics--Who Cares