Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Politics › Politicians Behaving Badly
TOPIC: Politicians_Behaving_Badly
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »
21 to 30 of 96
User Details are only visible to members.
This is a step up from Scalia (or another of them) giving a speech at a conservative event.

But pales in comparison with Bush v. Gore.

Yeah it would be nice if we could all play by the rules.

But that is not the way of the world.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19946 posts)
This seems to be a big step up in degree. Do you not think that this should be nipped in the bud before it gets worse?

Other things such as speaking at a partisan event are implicit as opposed to explicit endorsements or disparagements. I don't like that either, but this is worse.

It seems that all bets are off if this isn't addressed. I don't want that. I don't think you do either.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25281 posts)
Well, we could probably debate whether talking bad about a candidate is worse than putting a guy in the actual office when he didn't win it...

But I digress...

I'm just pointing out that this has been going on for quite some time.

But somehow it never bothers people when their side is doing it. Only when the other guys are doing it.

That last is not directed at you specifically, just a general comment...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19946 posts)
I read it. That article is far less dismissive of it than you are.

Since I thought we were in agreement that justifying bad behavior by pointing out bad behavior, I'd say that pointing out less bad behavior as grounds for non-action on the matter is a really weak argument.

So that article basically says (paraphrasing, but I think fairly)

- Yes, it was unprecedentedly inappropriate for her to do that.

- The precedent she is setting is very bad. It really should be slammed in every way possible. This has nothing to do with Trump but about judicial misconduct.

-That all said, she's doing it because Trump is almost Hitler and that sorta makes it OK.

It's gotta stop. This defense of abuses of power because one happens to like the outcome in this particular situation is what will make future distasteful presidents/judges/whatever even more abusive and brazen.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25281 posts)
FWIW, Slate has an article on this subject...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19946 posts)
I think the horse is already out of the barn.

Conservative justices have been making political speeches for quite some time.

Then there was the whole Bush v. Gore thing...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19946 posts)
No small number of people have spoken up about this. This has crossed a line that caught a lot of attention.

I am far from an expert, but apparently those who are say this is a violation of Canon 5 of the Code of Judicial Conduct, which says a federal judge "should not publicly endorse or oppose a candidate for public office."

The appropriate response would possibly be that her boss - Justice Roberts - should reprimand her. She should acknowledge that this was inappropriate, and that can (and should) be the end of it.

I say "possibly" because this is my own speculation. As I said I am no expert.

Justice Roberts has an opportunity here to restrain future misbehavior from SCOTUS judges while the misstep is relatively small. If he does not act it will be difficult to control this in the future.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25281 posts)
Thank you VA and TBR

Seguin TX
Username hidden
(2125 posts)
I know. And it's disappointing.

I was hoping someone around here could still act like an adult.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25281 posts)
That wall has been breaking down for some time.

Both side have spoken at partisan events.

I'll agree that it is unprofessional, but I think it is a sign of the times...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19946 posts)
« Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »
21 to 30 of 96
TOPIC: Politicians Behaving Badly
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.