Political Bands : Swingers Discussion 74039
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsPolitical Bands
TOPIC: Political Bands
Created by: dzzyred
Original Starting post for this thread:
Seeing that there are musical threads in other aspects of the forums I would be interested in your favorite bands or muscial artists that you believe are "political" or express political views. From my own perspective i don't think you have to agree with the "message" to be a fan of the band. Generally, music is considered liberal but there defn have been some bands/artists that the right has embraced. let's hear em all
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 22   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Gwar put out a song called Sadam-a-go go. It's pretty catchy too.

I remember debating with a bartender about the Greenday Song, "American Idiot". He insisted that it was a "non-political" song. Some of my favorite bands are very Liberal Minded, I usually just enjoy their non-political songs and tune out the preaching. Rage Against The Machine was a very good Anti-American pro communist band, but their fans just didn't buy into the "message" and did not take them seriously, so the the lead singer quit the band. The band hooked up with Chris Cornell from Soundgarden and became Audioslave. They now tend to stay away from politics like the plague........

The Iraq war has really turned alot of Artists into Anti-war protesters. Of course they are artists and artists are not known for their "common sense approach" to anything, especially politics. I think most people get that and take their "message" with a grain of salt.

Arlington TX

Username hidden
(2284 posts)
damn, i stand corrected!! maybe he was just a one hit wonder to me!!!!

Philadelphia PA

Username hidden
(5326 posts)
perfect - wild world, moonshadow and peace train.

i can't of any others that are really hits... cmon i pride myself on liking older music!

dione warwick... hell i like ray coniff!!

Philadelphia PA

Username hidden
(5326 posts)
Ah yes it was the band - Fuel - at the inagural youth concert which was hosted by the Bush twins. the lead singer said... Welcome to the greatest F in country in the world. HAHA

see i love it when rock singers curse!!! the outrage afterwards was FUNNY!

Philadelphia PA

Username hidden
(5326 posts)
it's only funny cause u are staring about my fiance's beautiful tits!!! HAHA

no, actually it WAS funny!

im trying to think of the rock band that played at one of bush's innagural events and then kept dropping the F bomb from the stage. now that was funny!!

Philadelphia PA

Username hidden
(5326 posts)
btw, cat stevens was at best a one or two hit wonder...

how bout CSN & Y - Four dead in OHIO...

Philadelphia PA

Username hidden
(5326 posts)
i don't know any of his songs... :-)

Philadelphia PA

Username hidden
(5326 posts)
I agree. Stevens never takes the radicals head on. His statement about the horror of 911, to me, demonstrates his half stepping. "While it is still not clear who carried out the attack, it must be stated that no right thinking follower of Islam could possibly condone such an action." To this day his interviews in Britian and Europe still reflect his "suspicions" of who carried out the attack. He can not bring himself to condemn the Muslims who were responsible for the attack.

Minden NV

Username hidden
(4041 posts)
In 2000 and 2001 Stevens gave several interviews to Rolling Stone Magazine. He has never retracted or apologized to Rushdie, or for his comments, but has blamed the media for taking his comments out of context.

After 911 he provided this quote to Rolling Stone:

"I wish to express my heartfelt horror at the indiscriminate terrorist attacks committed against innocent people of the United States yesterday. While it is still not clear who carried out the attack, it must be stated that no right thinking follower of Islam could possibly condone such an action: The Qur'an equates the murder of one innocent person with the murder of the whole of humanity. We pray for the families of all those who lost their lives in this unthinkable act of violence as well as all those injured; I hope to reflect the feelings of all Muslims and people around the world whose sympathies go out to the victims of this sorrowful moment".

Minden NV

Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Here is another NYT piece in 1989 concerning Cat Stevens and his view of equality, tolerance and peace. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- May 23, 1989

Cat Stevens Gives Support To Call for Death of Rushdie By CRAIG R. WHITNEY ONDON, May 22 -- The musician known as Cat Stevens said in a British television program to be broadcast next week that rather than go to a demonstration to burn an effigy of the author Salman Rushdie, ''I would have hoped that it'd be the real thing.''

The singer, who adopted the name Yusuf Islam when he converted to Islam, made the remark during a panel discussion of British reactions to Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini's call for Mr. Rushdie to be killed for allegedly blaspheming Islam in his best-selling novel ''The Satanic Verses.'' He also said that if Mr. Rushdie turned up at his doorstep looking for help, ''I might ring somebody who might do more damage to him than he would like.''

''I'd try to phone the Ayatollah Khomeini and tell him exactly where this man is,'' said Mr. Islam, who watched a preview of the program today and said in an interview that he stood by his comments.

The statements by Mr. Islam and several other participants in the discussion demonstrate how divided British liberal intellectuals remain over the affair. British writers and publishers have signed petitions backing Mr. Rushdie's freedom to write what he wishes, but there have been no public readings of his works. 'Not a Pacifist Religion'

Several of the participants defended Mr. Rushdie. The writer Fay Weldon, for example, said, ''Burn the book today, kill the writer tomorrow.'' She said she was offended by Mr. Islam's remarks, which she said incited people to violence.

Also on the show was Dr. Kalim Siddiqui, director of the Muslim Institute in London and one of the organizers of a nationwide demonstration against ''Satanic Verses'' that is scheduled for Hyde Park on Saturday. He said: ''I wouldn't kill him, but I'm sure that there are very many people in this country prepared at the moment. If they could lay their hands on Rushdie, he would be dead.

''As a British citizen, I have a duty, if you like, a social contract with the British state, not to break British law. We are not a pacifist religion. We don't turn the other cheek. We hit back.''

Minden NV

Username hidden
(4041 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 22   End
TOPIC: Political Bands