Penn Health System to stop hiring smokers : Swingers Discussion 2174471052
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsPenn Health System to stop hiring smokers
TOPIC: Penn Health System to stop hiring smokers
GoTo Page: Less ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Start   52 to 61 of 95   End
User Details are only visible to members.
First off, I'm a smoker. It's a filthy, disgusting habit. But it's a legal, filthy, disgusting habit.

I would rather see tobacco simply banned altogether than to have employers tell me that I can't enjoy a legal activity on my own time. I'm pretty sure that frequent and excessive alcohol consumption has a negative impact on your overall health but you don't see them telling employees to stop drinking at night or on the weekends, do you?

You want ban smoking during the work day? Cool. You want to ban smoking on company property? Fine by me. You pay me from 9-5, you make the rules from 9-5. But screw anyone who wants to tell me what I can or can't do when I'm off the clock.

A hospital local to me (Geisinger) implemented a similar practice last year, but they take it a step further by testing for nicotine during your pre-employment drug screening. This is from a job listing posted on their site:

"Starting with job offers dated February 1, 2012 and after, Geisinger Health System will no longer hire applicants who use tobacco products, including cigarettes, cigars and chewing or smokeless tobacco. Applicants will be screened for nicotine as part of the pre-employment physical process. Nicotine will be part of the urine drug screen. Applicants who test positive for nicotine will not be offered employment. Applicants who test positive may re-apply for jobs with Geisinger in six months."

So aside from the fact that they won't hire a smoker or tobacco chewer, apparently they won't even hire anyone who is on a nicotine supplement like the patch, gum, meds or e-cigarrettes, all of which supply your body with controlled doses of nicotine without all of the other harmful chemicals found in tobacco products. Not to mention that these quitting aids don't bring the unpleasant smell that comes from traditional tobacco use.

I get it that smokers or chewers can have an unpleasant smell and that being around us isn't fun for most non-smokers. I try to be as courteous as possible around non-smokers. But unless tobacco itself is deemed illegal in this country, it just doesn't make a damn bit of sense to automatically disqualify tobacco users from employment opportunities. No one put a gun to my head to make me smoke. But no one makes fat people eat pizza instead of a salad and no one has ever been forced to drink excessive amounts of alcohol. If you're going to implement hiring standards based on "healthy living" then at least have the decency to be consistant across the board.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3199 posts)
Well, tobacco is an addictive substance. A smoker just about always reeks of tobacco smoke. A skunk probably smells worse, but that doesn't make the smoker better, does it?

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
To answer your 2 questions- it doesn't, and no.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
How does the smell of burnt tobacco make those other smells any better? Or are you saying you smoke to deaden your sense of smell?

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Good I agree, nothing worse than a man or a woman that you can smell two blocks before they even get close. Whether it is butt crack or perfume it just stinks.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19237 posts)
"Personally, I wouldn't want some nurse stinking of cigs hoovering over me."

How about if the nurse stinks of unwashed ass crack? Bukkake? Garlic? Cologne/perfume?

Personally, I'll take the smell of tobacco over the smell of mud butt.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
Not necessarily, there are plenty of studies that contradict the benefits of working out. Just as there are plenty that prove that the benefits of working out outweigh the benefits of not working out. Risks are involved in everything that we do.

That was my point.

Some behaviors are riskier than others.

I was speaking in general.

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16299 posts)
Sedu:

The dangers of keeping fit are outweighed by the dangers of not being fit and the life long problems which being unfit presents later in life.

Further I was under the impression you were talking about work as in a worker, a person employed.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7346 posts)
You're not answering the question. I know who is moving the economy that wasn't my question.

My question was as a result of your claim that, an individual that works out and eats correctly should pay less than someone who does not. I illustrated the dangers of keeping fit, and asked a question.

You failed to answer.

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16299 posts)
Sedu:

Why should a working man pay less for the risk which his employment brings, than someone who simply goes sky diving for fun?... Because that working man keeps the economy moving and does a job, the sky diver wants the adrenaline rush of falling hundreds of feet.

In truth, we will get a European style healthcare system, It is only a matter of time.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7346 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Start   52 to 61 of 95   End
TOPIC: Penn Health System to stop hiring smokers