Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics Penn Health System to stop hiring smokers
TOPIC: Penn Health System to stop hiring smokers
Created by: Nkenswing
Original Starting post for this thread:
February 20, 2013

The University of Pennsylvania Health System will no longer hire smokers and other tobacco users, starting in July.

The system, which includes the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, said the policy would improve the health of its workforce and reduce the cost of health-care benefits.

A job applicant must be tobacco-free for six months. New employees, including doctors, who are caught lying about their tobacco use may be fired.

Current employees are not subject to the prohibition, but they already pay a higher premium on their health-care benefits if they are tobacco users and are not participating in free antitobacco programs offered by the system.

In 2012, about 11 percent of employees who were part of the system's health-insurance program declared themselves as tobacco users. Their surcharge is $15 every two weeks.

Citing the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the system said smoking and secondhand smoke contribute to 443,000 premature deaths a year and cost $193 billion in health-care costs and lost productivity.

"Employees who smoke cost, on average, $3,391 more a year for health care. In addition, smoke breaks during work may be disruptive and subject patients/colleagues to the unpleasant smell of smoke on employees' scrubs and clothing," the system said on its website.

Penn's system, which has 17,500 employees, said it was following the lead of the Cleveland Clinic, which introduced a tobacco-free hiring policy in 2007. Other health institutions have followed.

The policy, made public Jan. 1, will not affect new hires working in New Jersey because state law prohibits such restrictions.

Because of recruitment and notification issues, new fellows and residents will not be subject to the policy until July 2014.

Fair or Unfair?

Personally, I wouldn't want some nurse stinking of cigs hoovering over me.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 95   End
User Details are only visible to members.
LOL...I love how you Baggers selectively pull "RINO" out of your butts anytime a republican pulls his had out of his ass and does something right, but when election day comes you are back on your knees giving them electoral head. (See Mitt Romney, Scott Brown, John McCain, etc etc etc) Like I said....the bi partisan reforms of the 60s and early 70s worked, and you should be glad, since red state America gets the MOST back from paying the LEAST in of any area of the country

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3844 posts)
Mark:

The only crooks that I see are the republicans who do not want to pay for the wealth they were provided and allowed to accumulate.

The rich made their wealth off the backs of the people, in the promise to provide jobs and employment to the people. Now that the wealthy have their money, they fail to uphold their end of the bargain which all wealthy and powerful people accept by accumulating the wealth and power they have.

Further, the creation of wealth, at the cost of the environment in which we live and the environment which we give to our children is also theft. We steal from their future each time we refuse to invest into technology and the development of technology which replaces damaging tech like fossil fuels.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7775 posts)
pp: As it turned out Nixon was actually a Rino. EPA and such also. So he was actually a lib and a crook. Like you.

Tulare CA
Username hidden
(1880 posts)
Lighten up Outdoors, don't take shit so personally. When people seem to get obsessed and way too serious about something, as you seemed to have been about which smell is better, I make light of the situation. "That's when the fight started" is a joke in the jokes thread somewhere.

However, I discuss firearms in a serious manner. Smoking and unwashed ass crack, not so much.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3961 posts)
No melt down, and I don't concern myself with pats on the back. You seemed obsessed with "better" for some reason. Different is not necessarily better or worse.

FWIW, Mrs. G smokes and so I'm used to the smell on clothes.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3961 posts)
"That’s when the “fight” started. "

You mean that's when you melted down. I didn't perceive any "fight", just some potty talk, just from you, Mr Goodenuff. Maybe you got some pat on the back or yukking from the idiot gallery that I don't have to see.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Rdy, I don't know if there was any other follow up. In my opinion it sounds like a lot of money already spent by someone who didn't do anything and who could ill afford to spend more money to clear their name from a false accusation.

In hindsight, maybe they should have just left it alone. Let someone doing a background check see an arrest with no prosecution/conviction. Maybe that looks better than seeing "SEALED"?

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3961 posts)
*sigh*

Let’s review.

Nke posted: “Personally, I wouldn't want some nurse stinking of cigs hoovering over me.”

I posted:

“How about if the nurse stinks of unwashed ass crack? Bukkake? Garlic? Cologne/perfume?

Personally, I'll take the smell of tobacco over the smell of mud butt.”

Outdoors posted:

“How does the smell of burnt tobacco make those other smells any better?”

That’s when the “fight” started.

Outdoors, burnt tobacco does not make any other smell better. Only bacon makes everything else better- for us omnivores anyway.

Personally, I won’t back away from someone who smells of tobacco smoke, but I will from people who stink of mud butt. Hopefully that’s clear.

Have a nice day!!!

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3961 posts)
Expunged does not mean that there is no record. It means they seal the record- at least here in MN.

Case in point of someone I know. They were arrested for something, hauled to jail and booked. Upon review of the case, their appears to have been a mistake made, and the person arrested was never charged- case dropped. ("Oops, we're sorry we screwed up the rest of your life.")

The person now has an arrest record. They contact an attorney to see what can be done- expungement. They file for an expungement, and the court orders all records of the arresting police department on the matter destroyed. The court further orders the BCA to expunge their records on the matter. Apparently whenever an arrest is made, the BCA gets the info to see if the person is wanted somewhere I presume, but also to add the fingerprints/photos booking information to their data base.

The police department destroys all of their records as ordered, the state BCA does not. The BCA explains in a letter that expungement means to seal, cites a court case as precedence, and therfore they retain their documents in a sealed file- not to be opened except under a court order.

A criminal background check on that person will show a sealed record- making people wonder what the heck the person did and why they want to hide it.

Moral of the story- do not get arrested for a crime you did not commit, it will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3961 posts)
"smell" is not the issue...Smokers are less cost effective employees...it's just that simple

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3844 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 95   End
TOPIC: Penn Health System to stop hiring smokers