Pelosi demands the words Global War on Terrorism not be used in 2008 budget document : Swingers Discussion 76590101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsPelosi demands the words Global War on Terrorism not be used in 2008 budget document
TOPIC: Pelosi demands the words Global War on Terrorism not be used in 2008 budget document
Created by: debjack50 The original post for this thread was deleted.
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 6 of 6 
User Details are only visible to members.
lawyer speak?? haha, i like that one. but again it's just a catch phrase..

like the "police action" in korea...

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
What do we call it then? We are using soldiers to fight terrorists? Should we not be using soldiers to fight terrorists? Should we send cops over there to fight guys with ak-47s and rocket launchers? I'm confused? What do we call it? If they say that they are at "WAR" with the west, then should we deny it and say we just "strongly disagree"? Seriously a "War on Terror" is what it is. It makes perfect sense, and the treat is not "Exaggerated". Not when we are finding out about plots that exposes every viable weakness in our country's defense. Exaggerated? I'm sure someone argued that same point before 9/11, so should we wait for the nuke before we give in and concede that we are at "war"?

Arlington TX
Username hidden
(2284 posts)
as far back as the 1983 attack on the us marines there have been terrorist attacks against us and maybe even farther back.

i would be interested in the actually number of global terrorist attacks on yearly or decade by decade basis to compare today's activities to the past.

the point is that global terrorism has been going on for a long long time and labeling it now the "global war on terrorism" does nothing more than create a position or an anti position political purposes..

ie. "you're not for the war on terror?"

"they voted AGAINST the war on terror?"

those are just phrases with no real meaning imho

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
i would be interested in sens take on this because he seems to have a ton of research at his fingertips but cant u argue that there has been a war on global terrorism for the past 40yrs starting with abu nidal but it simply never involved attacks on the us. the political catchwords are manufactured (and tested) for response. the marketization of politcs with such catch words i believe has created the "we are right, you are an idiot" on these boards and in the general community.

i believe the Global War on Terror is one of these catchwords or phrases.

(continued)

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
this is from an article in the Washington Post which CRITICIZED the democrats "narrow vision" by Fred Hiatt...

Certainly a respectable case can be made that there is no "global war" -- that the administration, whether from shock at the 2001 attacks or out of political cynicism, exaggerated the threat and distorted American priorities. There is an equally respectable argument that Bush's promise to end tyranny is dangerously romantic.

You seem to use the word treason a lot, seldom correctly :-)

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
I wouldn't go so far as treason, just political posturing for 08' trying to fire up those liberal college students. It just goes to show how the dems are still weak on terror. All the arguments against every single terror initiative has been from that political spectrum, with a few exceptions. But this party would not respond very well to a terror attack, nor could anyone from this party win a war. They have yet to convince me otherwise. O can't say that the republicans "know" how to win a war either, but at least they have the balls to step up if they feel our country is in danger. Where as the dems want to "negotiate" everything, but not with the terrorists, or no they just want to negotiate with their state sponsors. There is no tough language coming from the Dems and they seem to go out there way to be on the opposite position of every issue regarding the "War on Terror", including calling it a war.........I continue to be bitterly disappointed with this party.

Arlington TX
Username hidden
(2284 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 6 of 6 
TOPIC: Pelosi demands the words Global War on Terrorism not be used in 2008 budget document