Pay Raises for Government : Swingers Discussion 2141781011
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsPay Raises for Government
TOPIC: Pay Raises for Government
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   11 to 20 of 28   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Yes, their job is to pass laws. But not pass them simply for the sake of passing laws. In an admittedly unrealistic world where everything is perfect, congress would do absolutely nothing.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17652 posts)
"Congress job is not to pass laws"

That is their entire job.

What a fucking idiot...

Lakeside CA

Username hidden
(17262 posts)
congress being session for 30 days is really enough to do what they need to do.30 days every 6 months is enough.we should really cut their pay.after all they are only working 60 days out of the year.do they have to be in session to argue.no.only to vote..........BS

Kingston TN

Username hidden
(1991 posts)
"some might argue that a do-nothing Congress is better than one that passes a lot of laws."

Absolutely! Congress job is not to pass laws, it is to represent and serve the people. Just passing laws is not doing either, only absolutely necessary, and constitutional laws should be passed. It should be a long and deliberate process. The whole system has been perverted and the original ideal of checks and balances are gone.

Sanford NC

Username hidden
(19231 posts)
I prefer civilization.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Potentially. The sheer number of bills/laws isn't always a great measure either.

The thing is, that one law (such as Obamacare) is a ginormous, broad, sweeping law with many "sub laws" within it. It was one bill, one law.

Yet, Congress might pass dozens of teeny tiny bills which become obscure laws which play no major role in most people's lives. Those dozens of laws have less impact than one big law.

Also, it takes a law to repeal a law.

I'm a libertarian at heart but I understand that total libertarianism is neither realistic nor practical. However, my ideal world is one in which the government plays as small a role in your life as possible.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17652 posts)
VA:

That is exactly the type of congress I would like. One that passes few laws, but one which can function.

Now we will differ on the type of laws which it would pass, but I think you and I can agree fewer laws ought to be passed?

Hazle Township PA

Username hidden
(6894 posts)
President Obama is giving the House Republicans a chance to demonstrate that they can do something. Last year's 'do nothing' House ends today, December 31st, 2012.

The new Republican Party-dominated House is being given a golden opportunity to do something. My hunch is they will accept the offer of a pay raise, while publicly denouncing an increase in government spending.

Treasure Is FL

Username hidden
(6602 posts)
"the most unproductive since the 1940s, with only 219 bills passed by the body becoming law"

That's one way to measure the "productiveness" of Congress.

Since most bills passed by Congress fall into one of the following categories:

A) Telling you new things you are not allowed to do B) Taking some of your money C) Spending your money on stuff

some might argue that a do-nothing Congress is better than one that passes a lot of laws.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17652 posts)
When it comes to accepting government appropriations for their campaigns and districts, no elected officials in America have more patriotism than the Republic-con Party-dominated House of Representatives. They should unanimously reject the pay raises, and in addition renounce their government benefits, in order to show America their super-patriot capabilities.

Republican Party House members have fingers like the Puerto Rican tree frog. Their suction-tip fingers may have to be forcefully removed from their pay raises.

Treasure Is FL

Username hidden
(6602 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   11 to 20 of 28   End
TOPIC: Pay Raises for Government