Oh boy : Swingers Discussion 219863
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsOh boy
TOPIC: Oh boy
Created by: Seduction4Two
Original Starting post for this thread:

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5
 1 to 10 of 41   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Set your decoder pin to B-2.

:-)

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10833 posts)
Stealth status: Intact.

Land O Lakes FL
Username hidden
(19166 posts)
:)

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16299 posts)
"I'm not sure how much we can bring down the cost of production to affect the global market price, just by tinkering here at home. "

A 0% stress and total repeal of all payroll stresses paid on behalf of their employees? That's a massive chunk of change for businesses. Not just "tinkering".

The $500B was my best mental recollection - I seem to remember that the estimates provided by the more detailed analysis of the plan put the figure at somewhere between $400-$600B, so I picked an easy number in the middle. It's a ballpark, but the order of magnitude is correct. Basically, it's a lot of money.

I haven't read up on it in a while, and I probably should. I admit I am excited that more and more states are adopting it, and are not needing stratospheric sales stresses to make ends meet.

Land O Lakes FL
Username hidden
(19166 posts)
"when asked about a pretty important component, famously said he had no idea. "

While that certainly was embarrassing, I don't think the situation was terribly different than when most politicians are challenged on something. The difference was that instead of trying to blow smoke up our asses, he admitted he didn't know.

It's funny - people lose faith in a doctor who admits he doesn't know the answer to every question. Yet when a doctor simply makes shit up for you to feel better, they don't seem to mind. Myself as a scientist considers it a cardinal sin to bullshit when we don't know. The worst I will do is speculate, and even then I will make it clear that this is in fact speculation.

It's a sad situation that someone saying "I don't know" when asked an important question is considered such an awful thing, and that we seem to prefer it when they just bullshit. That's his businessman showing through. Bullshit is absolutely lethal in business. In politics, it's the norm.

Land O Lakes FL
Username hidden
(19166 posts)
A couple of quick hits during halftime:

As for manufactured goods (as opposed to domestic construction and services), we're already in a global economy. Even as big a player in that as we are, I'm not sure how much we can bring down the cost of production to affect the global market price, just by tinkering here at home.

I don't know what the compliance costs are; if you say 500 B I'll accept your word. But keep in mind that's a big part of the GDP pie too. I mentioned initially that there would be some major short term transition displacements; that's a big one.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10833 posts)
I think we've given away enough to allow anyone to figure it out if they read it a bit. OK well almost anyone.

As I said Fun, I realize that the 999 plan was half-baked, but I think conceptually it was not bad, and rather unoffensive to the average person. I don't think it was the be-all-end all, and needed a lot of work, but I think it was a decent starting point. It was intended as a mid-way ground between where we are and the FairStress, which would require total repeal of, um, you know what I mean.

As for job creation - I'm talking about relocating jobs back to the US. This does not require an increase in demand, it's shifting the location of manufacture. But, the reduction in cost of our goods should increase demand for our exports. In the short term, this is where most of the growth should come from.

The intentions of large global companies to either relocate headquarters to the US and/or expand their manufacturing capabilities in the event has been made clear. On top of it all, the $500 billion or so in compliance costs (not the stress payments themselves) which would instantly evaporate could go where it's supposed to....

Land O Lakes FL
Username hidden
(19166 posts)
I like how we're able to keep the trolls out of this discussion ;).

Like you, Fun, I'm too tired too, was a long day I need a bit of R&R.

But a great discussion, I will enjoy it when my brain isn't as fried.

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16299 posts)
I'm not as rosy optimistic as you are about the sudden job-creation effects. Employment is still a function of demand for goods and services, more than availability of capital investment. I've been putting out fires all day and am too tired to put any deep thought into this, but it's an interesting discussion I'd like to pursue.

As for the 9-9-9 thing, that was sort of doomed for several reasons. One, it didn't have the benefit of completely scrapping the stress-collection system. Also, it didn't help that the Pizza guy was sort of half-baked, and when asked about a pretty important component, famously said he had no idea.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10833 posts)
Stealth status: Detected Code Encryption: Intact

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10833 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5
 1 to 10 of 41   End
TOPIC: Oh boy