Oct 22 2012 - Final Presidential Debate - Foreign Policy : Swingers Discussion 2104551051
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsOct 22 2012 - Final Presidential Debate - Foreign Policy
TOPIC: Oct 22 2012 - Final Presidential Debate - Foreign Policy
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Start   51 to 60 of 78   End
User Details are only visible to members.
"BOCA RATON, Fla. -- Rahm Emanuel has often told the story, when early in his days as White House chief of staff, he mused aloud to President Barack Obama about the tough hand they'd been dealt. "Sir, this would be a lot easier if you didn't have a giant recession and two wars to deal with," he said.

To which Obama is said to have replied, "Rahm, if it weren't for the recession and the two wars, we wouldn't be here in the first place."

Four years later, the president may be denied a second term because of the lingering consequences of the same forces that got him elected -- and his own failures to master them fully.

After walking all over the president in the first debate and counter-punching his way to survival in the second, Republican nominee Mitt Romney has matched Obama in popularity polls and on projected Electoral College maps. More ominously for the president, Romney now has a personal "favorability" rating that matches Obama's. Timing is everything in politics, and Romney is peaking at just the right moment.

Obama's luck, on the other hand, seems to be running out, and at a very bad time: As he prepares for the final debate with Romney, he is looking ahead to the last two weeks of a 2012 campaign in which Romney's allies will have more money and more paths to an Electoral College win.

As luck would have it, tonight's debate here at Lynn University at 9 p.m. EDT, moderated by Bob Schieffer of CBS, is about foreign policy: once, but no longer, an area of acknowledged strength for a president dealing with the toughest economy in decades.

It was President George W. Bush, not Obama, who launched the fateful project of toppling Sunni strong men in the Middle East in the name of spreading freedom and democracy. That grand strategy, and the regional leaders' inability to adapt to it, has helped turn the Middle East into a more uncontrollable, dangerous, unpredictable place; fear and chaos in countries such as Syria, Egypt and Lebanon are winning out over hope. And although the man who helped to set that process in motion was Bush, Republicans will try tonight to pin the blame on Obama.

The president's answer is clear: Osama Bin Laden was killed under his watch, he managed the draw down troop levels in Iraq and has pledged to do the same in Afghanistan. He can also point out that the American homeland has not been attacked on his watch -- and that his administration has foiled numerous plots to do so.

That, in turn, is why the sustained, war-like attack on the American compound in Benghazi, Libya, on Sept. 11, 2012, when U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three others were killed, looms so large over tonight's debate -- and Obama's fate.

The incident itself has not been a centerpiece of national concern: Voters care about jobs and the economy here, not the souks of the Middle East. But the administration's handling of the incident and the events leading up to it -- not to mention the various conflicting stories afterward about what happened -- have drawn legitimate scrutiny.

It is the kind of story tailor-made for Romney, whose preferred mode in debates has been one of attack. Schieffer, a solid newsman of the old school, is likely to be wary of overdoing a topic that could benefit Romney, but he will want to probe the matter in depth. If Schieffer asks -- and he will -- righteous indignation from the president in defense of himself and his administration may not play well with voters, even if Obama has a new CIA report to back up his narrative.

The president's account of events in distant Benghazi -- a place most Americans had never heard of -- may well decide who "wins" the debate. If Obama can't be convincing, he'll lose.

For the president, the timing is not in his favor."

By, Howard Fineman

Colts Neck NJ

Username hidden
(16513 posts)
Odds are you're in company of very few.

Remember the Afghan Surge proposed by both sides in 2008?

CNN and BBC have been sending western political info to the Middle East and china and Russia since the 80's.

Castro followed American baseball on the radio and medias.

Ali and other figures of the 60's used the media to show the world what goes on in America's backyard.

Before that, we put propaganda and mis information on news reels and clips pre-movie across the nation in theaters. Then came Beta tapes....

Phoenix AZ

Username hidden
(2083 posts)
Obama is the only one who knows actual secrets, and he has been spewing them for some time.

Sanford NC

Username hidden
(19231 posts)
Excuses, excuses, excuses

Sanford NC

Username hidden
(19231 posts)
Fjep:

Actually mechanics have told me to stay away, I don't have the physical build to install tires at the rate of which they want for even 8 hours a day.

Then the fact that I have hearing issues. (ringing in my ears, caused by heavy equipment use while deployed and my right ear from my m-16) makes me a health risk in the future.

Do you think I haven't tried? Your silly.

Hazle Township PA

Username hidden
(6871 posts)
Bobby if I am not mistaken another member did offer you a job making double minimum wage. You have been given many good ideas how to earn money, yet you still sit on the pot whining. There are truck stops in PA, you are young, there is no reason you can not be a tire and brake tech at a service stop. Hard work above minimum wage, but you have been told this before. The only thing that stops you is the glue that has your ass stuck to your chair.

Sanford NC

Username hidden
(19231 posts)
Fjep:

Yes I am, screwed up and picked the wrong career field... But I did live in FL for a whole job hinting... Ran out if money and couldn't get employed during the worst part of the recession as my skills were dependent upon a good economy.

So now I provide my parents my services with renovating their home, I pay for multiple bills and myself, I help them with their multilple medical conditions and I help my sisters with transport needs as they attend college... All the while I improve my writing skills, my computer graphic skills, searching for employment in my field and working as many hours as I can get.

So I am a far cry from living in my parents basement. I help them keep their house, improve the house so should they decide to sell or reverse mortgage it, and I help my sisters obtain their dreams despite my planned future crumbling around me.

Could you hold multiple people up while trying to advance yourself and earn only minimum wage with no health benefits... Oh speaking of which, according to my VA doctor, I should be 20% disabled due to medical issues... But I haven't seen a check yet and aren't really trying to collect... Not that it would amount to much anyway.

So unless you are offering a good paying job in the computer graphic industry. You do not have anything of value to say to me. Your respect would be an insult to me.

Hazle Township PA

Username hidden
(6871 posts)
I'm not a gambler, but putting money on M would be money in the bank.

Bobby? A person might as well as wipe their ass with the money and flush it.

Bobby take note that you are the one still living with your parents at 27.

Sanford NC

Username hidden
(19231 posts)
I'm not a gambler, but putting money on M would be money in the bank.

Bobby? A person might as well as wipe their ass with the money and flush it.

Sanford NC

Username hidden
(19231 posts)
Sedu:

You wouldn't survive a real dog eat dog world.

Hazle Township PA

Username hidden
(6871 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Start   51 to 60 of 78   End
TOPIC: Oct 22 2012 - Final Presidential Debate - Foreign Policy