Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics Obama pushes universal preschool proposal
TOPIC: Obama pushes universal preschool proposal
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Start   71 to 80 of 104   End
User Details are only visible to members.
"In order for our kids to succeed, they need to excel in the current program."

exactly, or they can go hang out with OWS crowd. :-)

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17386 posts)
Memorizing formulas has little do with understanding math, and IMO all formulas should be given on a separate sheet. If you don't know how and when to apply the formula then you don't understand the math. Students should be able to understand how formulas were derived, but not to memorize them. *

I'm not disputing you, I'm saying that it also requires a certain amount of memorization. Do you need to recognize when to apply the correct formulas? I'd say yes.

Math is a logic subject, you HAVE to understand it, no ifs or buts about it. But you also need to memorize.

As to what I remember, nothing. My brain is fried with everything that being an adult and a parent brings with it. Our little guy is starting HS next year as well, his principal said the same thing as yours, not in those exact words. I tend to agree. Children need to focus on what gets them to the best college possible. Currently prepping kids for the tests is how it's done. And I'm fine with it.

Having said the above, there are many subjects that I wish schools would cover to expand the child's horizons. But it's of no relevance what I think. In order for our kids to succeed, they need to excel in the current program.

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(17091 posts)
Our son is going to High School next year. Last week there was a meeting for all incoming freshmen and their parents in the HS auditorium. One of the topics was standardized testing. It's a mess. The tests and requirements are changing again and the district is scrambling a bit. The Principal said, "I always get asked if we teach to the test, and my answer is always 'YES'. Performing well on the tests is your ticket to get into college and that is our goal, to get all of those who wish to go to college to be able to.'

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17386 posts)
"Perfect while I partially agree with you about social studies, mathematics also requires memorization. Certainly you need to memorize formulas."

Memorizing formulas has little do with understanding math, and IMO all formulas should be given on a separate sheet. If you don't know how and when to apply the formula then you don't understand the math. Students should be able to understand how formulas were derived, but not to memorize them.

How many math, or physics, or chemistry formulas to do you remember from school? I don't remember very many, but I know what to look for and I know how to apply them.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17386 posts)
"... programs to help the poor do nothing but hurt the poor. Anyone who works within the welfare system is nothing but a modern day slaver."

Mark, it seems you didn't, or perhaps can't, read the stuff you just posted. While some studies have concluded that Head Start may not help beyond 3rd grade or so, not one shred of evidence says it's ever harmed a child.

Your "95% become criminals" crap should go back where you pulled it from, or into an approved receptacle.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
NCLB is not about advancing children whether they fail or pass. It's literally about not leaving kids behind. Meaning, children that do not learn like others, children that need a different approach, children with disabilities such as ADHD, ODD. Children that are unable to grasp concepts without assistance. Are provided for with extra assistance to help them. So that they aren't simply straggling and failing in frustration. But are given every opportunity possible to pass. Plenty of children get left behind when they fail.

Perfect while I partially agree with you about social studies, mathematics also requires memorization. Certainly you need to memorize formulas.

Rumson NJ
Username hidden
(17091 posts)
"I also know that it also has a lot to do with standardized tests that schools are required to administer, which is another reason for it to get the axe since teachers are more or less forced to teach the material on the test rather than actually teaching the kids how to do the work themselves. Getting kids to memorize a couple of historical facts and math problems isn't really teaching them anything."

What the hell are talking about?

History is memorization, and you can't memorize a math problem. You either know how to do the math or you do not. There's NOTHING wrong with' teaching to a test' if the test is good.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17386 posts)
Head Start and Early Head Start — for families of children prenatal through age 3 — serves 16,000 low-income children in Wisconsin and their families through a variety of programs. Rock-Walworth Comprehensive Family Services Inc. coordinates a Head Start program serving more than 500 children. Connie Robers has served as the agency’s Head Start director since 2000. She said she has seen a lot of changes over the past dozen years, driven by an ever-increasing demand for services. In Beloit alone, more than 100 children are on a Head Start waiting list. Robers said the findings of the federal study concern Head Start administrators and teachers and they do take seriously the long-term examination of the program. But there’s more to impact than numbers, Robers said. The early childhood program is facing considerable challenges, serving a growing number of families facing an array of mental health issues — with children living in the shadow of poverty, drug-addicted households, parents in prison. “What concerns me is we are considered to be the immunization against all the other challenges our children will face,” Robers said. “They will continue to have challenges around poverty and other risk factor. We aren’t always able to change that arc for children.” This is back to me. Federal Government programs to help the poor do nothing but hurt the poor. Anyone who works within the welfare system is nothing but a modern day slaver.

Tulare CA
Username hidden
(1880 posts)
As for children’s well-being, “there is also no clear evidence that access to Head Start had an impact on children’s language and literacy development while children were in Head Start,” the report found. “In summary, there were initial positive impacts from having access to Head Start, but by the end of 3rd grade there were very few impacts found for (three-year-olds or four-year-olds in Head Start) in any of the four domains of cognitive, social-emotional, health and parenting practices,” the report summarized. “The few impacts that were found did not show a clear pattern of favorable or unfavorable impacts for children.” ‘Head Start works’ Head Start proponents have raised concerns about the study, questioning its methodology and its control group. Dan Stickler, interim director of Wisconsin Head Start Association, which represents the 63 head start grantees in the state, said the “fade-out effect,” or diminishing learning returns, is not only a myth, it’s a lie. “That’s akin to saying I took a shower last Friday and today I’m dirty again so obviously my shower didn’t work,” he said. “The data is possibly flawed, it’s certainly old and it doesn’t reflect what’s happening in 2013. “The bottom line is Head Start works.”

Tulare CA
Username hidden
(1880 posts)
Out and Cpl: So far all I can find on the i-net is the stuff about failure of Head Start at the third grade level. I may have been seen about the 95% level of criminals from Head Start at a law enforcement brief; as to where criminals come from and what we are fighting. But I will keep searching. Here is an argument from both sides showing the failure rate at the third grade level and hinting about the 95% criminal rate. One of the things that is apparent to me is the arrgument from your side is the failure is due to proverty. I say it is due to welfare regulations. Page 1 of 3) By M.D. Kittle| Wisconsin Reporter MADISON — Forged out of The War on Poverty nearly a half century ago, Head Start has long been regarded as the great education leveler. But the early childhood development program has failed to deliver sustained academic and behavioral impact, according to a recent study federal report. Many of the people on the ground, administrators and teachers of Head Start programs, charge the report is flawed, that the core areas don’t measure the many successes of the federally funded program. Not contained in the Office of Planning, Research and Evaluation report, they argue, are the young girls who avoided abusive relationships later in their lives and the little boys who grew up out of jail, thanks to Head Start. Still, the findings, the latest in a series of reports questioning Head Start’s effectiveness, beg two critical questions: Are taxpayers getting their money’s worth? Are children being well served? “Few gains” The final report commissioned by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, following others in recent years that have measured Head Start’s impact, found the program has “improved children’s preschool outcomes,” but it has had “few impacts on children in kindergarten through 3rd grade.” In essence, any cognitive, behavioral, or health gains during the program “rapidly dissipated in elementary school” for many of the children the study followed. While parents in the program may have noticed differences in areas like social-emotional development, elementary school teachers did not.

Tulare CA
Username hidden
(1880 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Start   71 to 80 of 104   End
TOPIC: Obama pushes universal preschool proposal