Obama pushes universal preschool proposal : Swingers Discussion 2170941061
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsObama pushes universal preschool proposal
TOPIC: Obama pushes universal preschool proposal
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Start   61 to 70 of 104   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I'm still trying to figure this out..........

Why is it not a good thing to be able to read a question that an educated person has written, and give the answer they are looking for?

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(16842 posts)
I anm sure you were allowed to use them in school.

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
LOL Ghost I am glad you know me.

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
""They need to stop letting them use calculators.......They teach how to use the calculator more than working the problem out in their own head."

Spoken as someone that never got past basic algebra....

THIS is the state of our union? I'm terrified....

East Fishkill NY
Username hidden
(3579 posts)
CPL yea but I could teach him that at home lol. I think he is glad I took the time to work with him.

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
It doesn't seem possible but every time I look into these fora I am more and more repulsed and disgusted by the attitudes of the rabid radicals here.

It's sad and wholly un American in every conceivable way.

Mark Carmen-you are a depraved, illiterate and sad piece of shit that has been polluted by your occupation and I pity you. Go see your union rep, you need serious psychological counseling. Tell them you suspect that you are a sociopath....

East Fishkill NY
Username hidden
(3579 posts)
"They need to stop letting them use calculators.......They teach how to use the calculator more than working the problem out in their own head."

I was out of HS before NCLB was implemented, but calculators are nothing new. We weren't using them for basic math, algebra, or geometry, but we were using the scientific notation functions they had available.....which most students will never use once they step outside of the classroom.

Besides, if you take calculators out of schools you are robbing America's youth of their right to figure out that 55378008 on a calculator spells BOOBLESS if you turn it upside down.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3199 posts)
" But teaching to a test does very little for the student as far as learning goes. It's teaching kids how to take a test. Great. What an awesome life skill to have. " It is an awesome skill to have. What's the alternative?

Again, it's the test that may need tweaking, there is nothing wrong with teaching the kids the material that is going to be on the test.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(16842 posts)
As far as them learning the formula. They need to stop letting them use calculators. My son is a senior this year so I have seen how they teach math. I spent a lot of time working with him in algebra and geometry. They teach how to use the calculator more than working the problem out in their own head. We were not allowed to use any kind of calculator when I was in school. We learned how to do algebra I & II and geometry on paper the old fashioned way.I realize the world is moving to be more reliant on electronics but you still need to teach the basics to our kids. I made him do his H/W on paper first then let him check it with his calculator. If it was wrong I would work with him to get him to understand it. I don't know how much time parents work with their kids anymore and I know everybody has a different lifestyle and may not be able to spend time helping their kids. I was lucky to be able to do that.

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
"Performing well on the tests is your ticket to get into college and that is our goal, to get all of those who wish to go to college to be able to.'"

This is my biggest beef with standardized tests and why they aren't effective. Schools teach to the test because it helps kids get into college. The more kids who get into college, the more funding that school receives. But teaching to a test does very little for the student as far as learning goes. It's teaching kids how to take a test. Great. What an awesome life skill to have.

Truth is, our education system needs a complete overhaul from top to bottom. I think pretty much everyone already knows this. Some school districts throughout the country are being proactive in doing this, but it's affecting a relatively small portion of our population. Sweeping changes need to be made across the board. 20th century methods and curriculum just ain't gonna cut it in 21st century America.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3199 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Start   61 to 70 of 104   End
TOPIC: Obama pushes universal preschool proposal