Obama pushes universal preschool proposal : Swingers Discussion 2170941051
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsObama pushes universal preschool proposal
TOPIC: Obama pushes universal preschool proposal
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Start   51 to 60 of 104   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I agree that the Fed Gov't should stay out of education.

Pittsburgh PA

Username hidden
(16703 posts)
"There's no critical thinking being taught in Math and Science any more at the younger levels of education. "

Wouldn't this depend on the teacher?

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
VAC I agree with that, but state and local government still put requirements on the department of education in each district.

Sanford NC

Username hidden
(19237 posts)
The Federal government has no Constitutional authority to be involved in education.So that kinda sums it up.

Berryville VA

Username hidden
(1750 posts)
Tests and memorization are good exercise for the brain, it is recommended for older people to prevent or slow alzheimer's disease.

Tests are a critical part of measuring learning progress, and locating problems and correcting them. Whether in education, in the lab, in the field, or in business. Testing and measuring are critical to every single aspect of commerce.

And where do people work?

Sanford NC

Username hidden
(19237 posts)
I never took them. But I have seen how they teach now and am not really impressed.

Berryville VA

Username hidden
(1750 posts)
"My biggest beef with the "standardized test method" criteria for passing a test is that its simply telling an educator how well you can memorize the answers you were taught. Not how to answer a question, simply how to remember the answer. "

You cannot remember an answer to a math problem...well, unless you have the EXACT same problem, which is doubtful.

Pittsburgh PA

Username hidden
(16703 posts)
"There's no critical thinking being taught in Math and Science any more at the younger levels of education. It's simply textbook memorization and repeatability."

when was there? I took standardized tests. I'm assuming you did also.

Teachers don't like it because they are now being held accountable.

Pittsburgh PA

Username hidden
(16703 posts)
When Ghost was in schoool, they were using abacus's. ;)

There's no critical thinking being taught in Math and Science any more at the younger levels of education. It's simply textbook memorization and repeatability.

I'm not a fan of the "teach the test to get more kids in college" mentality. None of my friends in education are either. If you want proof it doesn't work as prescribed, just look at all the wonderful liberal arts majors out there flipping burgers or waiting tables just to pay back massive school loans for jobs they will probably never get in the field they majored in. It's silly that these kids aren't given the proper tools they need to succeed if their first attempt in the job market ends in failure. 4 to 6 years "on the job" is nearly equivalent to a college degree to most employers now. Why would anyone hire some kid fresh out of college when they've got 4 years of on the job training already built in to Spike who barely graduated high school but started off in the mail room and worked his way up? He gets the promotion, and college educated Billy gets left doing mail room work until he's got the same experience.

My biggest beef with the "standardized test method" criteria for passing a test is that its simply telling an educator how well you can memorize the answers you were taught. Not how to answer a question, simply how to remember the answer.

What exactly does that translate to in a real world job? How many people here can honestly say they "phone in" their job on a day to day basis. How many of your employers just hand over your paycheck solely based on your ability to memorize something? How many of you don't have to think outside the box on the job to complete a task you've been assigned? How many of you can simply walk into your bosses office and demand a better job because you have memorized everything about the job you want?

Why can't people see this is creating a bigger problem then it resolves?

Long Beach CA

Username hidden
(1755 posts)
"Why is it not a good thing to be able to read a question that an educated person has written, and give the answer they are looking for? "

Because learning skills get in the way of indoctrination. God knows we would not want to have children with skills to think for themselves.

Sanford NC

Username hidden
(19237 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Start   51 to 60 of 104   End
TOPIC: Obama pushes universal preschool proposal