125
Obama pushes universal preschool proposal : Swingers Discussion 2170941041
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsObama pushes universal preschool proposal
TOPIC: Obama pushes universal preschool proposal
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Start   41 to 50 of 104   End
User Details are only visible to members.
"The problem is, the only thing teachers HAVE to teach now is how to pass that test. It's in their best interest to get the bare minimum across to the 20% of kids who are going to struggle with that test than it is to work with the other 80% who can do the requirements in their sleep and are hungry for more than the basics. "

That's not how it is in our district, but we do have a few mediocre teachers. I'd say there are less mediocre teachers than when I was in school

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17109 posts)
User Details are only visible to members.
Everybody here who thinks doctors should have no tests, to determine their knowledge of medicine~~please raise your hands?

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19410 posts)
User Details are only visible to members.
Perf, I completely agree with you! I was taught several different methods to reach an answer. Some work for me easier than others. Not every child learns the same way or at the same rate.

The problem is, the only thing teachers HAVE to teach now is how to pass that test. It's in their best interest to get the bare minimum across to the 20% of kids who are going to struggle with that test than it is to work with the other 80% who can do the requirements in their sleep and are hungry for more than the basics.

Long Beach CA
Username hidden
(1757 posts)
User Details are only visible to members.
"Because that's all the standardized test measures. Pass or Fail."

I think you are mistaken.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17109 posts)
User Details are only visible to members.
"... memorization has become more important than critical thinking and problem solving. It's how well you can pass a test rather than how well you understand the subject matter ..."

I don't recall any time when this wasn't the case. It's nothing new. As always, it depends on the teacher. I had a 7th grade math teacher who would let the smart math students tutor the slower ones, once they had mastered the subject.

A person who has just learned something is likely the best equipped to teach someone who's trying to 'get it'.

Government-mandated standardization of learning is necessitated (in theory) by the poor quality of our teachers. This in turn is a result of depressed salaries, low community esteem, and in fact politicians saying "education is a failure".

It's never a good solution to throw the baby out with his bathwater.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
User Details are only visible to members.
Because that's all the standardized test measures. Pass or Fail.

It doesn't matter how well you passed it, so long as you can pass the minimum standard. The FCAT in Florida doesn't even take into account how well students did individually, because it's averaged with all students in that grade level to reach a determination of how well that grade level is doing. A school is rated based on the performance of all grades combined.

Long Beach CA
Username hidden
(1757 posts)
User Details are only visible to members.
Here's an example I can think of..............Not long ago I was helping my daughter with some math homework that had an inequality in the problem. So as we're working through it, she says.... 'When solving inequalities, if you multiply or divide through by a negative, you must also flip the inequality sign."

I said where did you get that? She said 'it's a rule our teacher taught us'.

I said I don't remember that rule, and here's how to solve the problem. When you check your answer you'll be able to see that the signs should be reversed.

That's not the TESTS fault, it's the lazy teacher who just found it easier to have the kids try and remember some rule instead of understand the math.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17109 posts)
User Details are only visible to members.
"At the end of the day, the teacher doesn't have to do anything more than teach their entire class how to pass a test. "

You make it sound like the only grade given is a 'PASS' or 'FAIL'

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17109 posts)
User Details are only visible to members.
"Simply showing someone how to answer a test question correctly isn't proving they know how to "think", it's proving they can memorize. "

I'm not following this. Maybe you can give an example.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17109 posts)
User Details are only visible to members.
Simply showing someone how to answer a test question correctly isn't proving they know how to "think", it's proving they can memorize.

My point is that memorization has become more important than critical thinking and problem solving. It's how well you can pass a test rather than how well you understand the subject matter on that test. And all because someone decided that handing out a standardized test, tailored to a single common denominator, was a good way to judge how well all students throughout that grade level were doing. Genius or not, they're all taking the same test. How can you possibly know how much potential a child has if they are tested to the standard that everyone should be able to pass if given enough time? How many really bright kids are being dumb'd down during class while the ADD kid is busy picking the laminate strip off his desk because Zod forbid the kids with learning problems be sent to a different classroom.

At the end of the day, the teacher doesn't have to do anything more than teach their entire class how to pass a test.

It's a lot like giving every kid a ribbon at a race, even if they willingly decide to quit before the race was over. Sure every student has to participate, but for the race to be considered a complete success only 70% of them have to simply finish and we'll still give the remaining 30% the same accolades for trying.

Long Beach CA
Username hidden
(1757 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Start   41 to 50 of 104   End
TOPIC: Obama pushes universal preschool proposal