Obama pushes universal preschool proposal : Swingers Discussion 2170941031
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsObama pushes universal preschool proposal
TOPIC: Obama pushes universal preschool proposal
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Start   31 to 40 of 104   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Pandora, you might average the students' scores to gauge (hopefully) the effectiveness of the teacher. This does not mean you have lost the individual students' scores. Each student still has a % of correct answers.

Some teachers are not very good at administering tests, nor at interpreting the results. It's almost independent of how good they are at teaching. Standardized tests may be better than what the average teacher gives.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Score Reporting The following are the scores reported for FCAT. FCAT Score: This score is called developmental scale score and ranges from 0 to 3000 for Reading and Mathematics tests. The developmental scale score is based on previous performance of a student and indicate the progress made by a student over years. The developmental scale score is not reported for Science test since it is administered in limited grades. A scale score that ranges from 100 to 500 is reported for Science, Mathematics and Reading tests. For the Writing test, the score is reported on a scale of 0 to 6, where 0 is for an ‘unscorable’ essay. Achievement Level: This score ranges from level 1 to level 5. Each level corresponds to a range of scores in which a child’s score falls. The developmental scale scores and scale scores are used for finding the Achievement Level of a student. Each level of achievement has a specific definition according to Sunshine State Standards. This score is reported for all but the Writing test. Achievement Levels 3, 4 or 5 show that the Sunshine State Standards are met. Levels 1 and 2 are below the level of expectations. Content Scores: These scores are reported for each content cluster or subcategory. The score is the total points scored out of the maximum points possible. Scores of Previous Years: The scores for previous performances in FCAT are reported for reading and mathematics tests. Performance Task Scores: These scores are reported for the Reading, Mathematics and Science Tests. The scores are the points gained in a task. Other Information Reported: You also obtain the range of scores within which the score of the student is likely to fall in case of a retest. Besides you obtain a message about the performance of the student. Grade 10 students are informed about their pass or fail status for the reading and mathematics tests as per the high school graduation standards. The results of FCAT are sent to

Students and their parents School administrators District administrators State-level administrators and policy makers

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17137 posts)
"How does this show the intelligence of a student or of a teacher's ability to teach when the scores are averaged with everyone elses in the same grade? The short answer is that it doesn't."

That is not the only way the scores are used, and they are not just PASS-FAIL.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(17137 posts)
It would be silly to think a Neurologist would take the same test as a Janitor, but that's exactly what a standardized test does with our students.

There's no regard for how smart, or how well the individual student handles themselves is on these tests. The same test is administered to every student, gifted, average, or in between, with the ONLY difference being the placement of questions throughout to help deter cheating. Same questions, same test, same time limit.

How does this show the intelligence of a student or of a teacher's ability to teach when the scores are averaged with everyone elses in the same grade? The short answer is that it doesn't.

The SOLE purpose of this test is to show that a particular school or teacher isn't doing the bare minimum of education standards, and not at all a way of showing who, individually, is excelling.

Long Beach CA
Username hidden
(1757 posts)
Indoctrination what?

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
"In general, it's good for parents to have the option to put their kids in such a program; and to retain the option to withdraw them, depending on circumstances"

What, you think this about 'indoctrination'? It's about availability! If you want you kids to start out that far behind in comparison, have at it!

I'll never prevent someone else from being dumb, that's completely up to you.

East Fishkill NY
Username hidden
(3613 posts)
Ghost the only potential rebuttal I can come up with is along the lines of : Your kids might be ace students with or without Head Start. And some random ghetto kids might be mediocre or worse with or without it.

It may keep kids from falling thru the cracks: If their alternative is to be abandoned for hours at a time while their parent(s) are out hustling some income.

Or it may allow parents who are economically fine but unwilling to raise their kids to foist them onto government workers for babysitting purposes.

In general, it's good for parents to have the option to put their kids in such a program; and to retain the option to withdraw them, depending on circumstances.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Can you show that they take the same tests? Something other than hyperbole?

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19424 posts)
OK, so here's a dead serious comment on this subject:

There is no disagreement with the science OR the exceptional VALUE in this. None. I challenge anyone here to come up with anything (scholarly, not a righty/lefty think tank of some sort) that contradicts this. It works. Period.

anecdotally I can tell you that ALL of my children went to pre-school as soon as they were out of diapers. I wasn't rich, it was church based and I made their stained glass windows for them in exchange. A fair trade, their windows will last a hundred years and that head start will last my kids lifetimes.

All three are honors students, on the deans list and is heavily involved in campus life. My son is in an advanced chemistry at one of the best science schools in the country, a 'state ivy', partial scholarship. He's working on making his first year a 4.0. One daughter already has a degree from FIT in photography and is now working on degree in international policy at another 'state ivy'. She is on the deans list with a 3.6. My stepdaughter is at an out of state 'state ivy' and working on her psychology degree.

All three plan on degrees through graduate school. My son is planning on a dual phd. in chemistry and physics. All three are working their way through to one degree or another, in which I include all grants and scholarships. They work their asses off in fact.

I'm not rich. I'm not poor either. We all went through a pretty bad divorce for the last 4 years. The crash decimated my business before I was able to start another one and make it profitable. Yet how did I do this? A liberal even? (gasp!)

It's not rocket surgery...

I have EXCEEDINGLY high standards for both myself and my family. There is no 'I tried'. It's do or don't do. I have been completely involved with my kids lives from the very beginning, yet I've given them complete freedom to fail (in as safe an environment as I could provide). In short, I was a parent. So was my ex to be fair, at least the first half...

The combination of both early education AND involved families is the Rosetta stone of a high functioning society. Only problem is, the better educated the electorate, the less bullshit they will fall for from their 'leaders'.

Now, who is it that thinks this does not matter or should not be a realistic and needed goal for our country?

East Fishkill NY
Username hidden
(3613 posts)
I'm not advocating removal of tests FJ, but I wouldn't want a Neurologist's level of intelligence measured by how well he can take the exact same test as the guy who wipes out bedpans.

Long Beach CA
Username hidden
(1757 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Start   31 to 40 of 104   End
TOPIC: Obama pushes universal preschool proposal