Obama Giving up on right leaning Whites : Swingers Discussion 2163001011
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsObama Giving up on right leaning Whites
TOPIC: Obama Giving up on right leaning Whites
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   11 to 20 of 26   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Maybe there should be incentive to vote: If you don't vote, you don't get your welfare, nor your tax refund.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
"but what exactly is the motivation for automatic/mandatory voter registration?"

It quite simply gives automatic universal access to the democratic process for those who choose to participate. It is the very definition of an "level playing field"

Rosemont IL

Username hidden
(3831 posts)
p.s.

While the electorate may not perfectly reflect Americans as a whole, it *is* who politicians are playing to.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(18746 posts)
I want it to be as easy as possible for people to vote.

That said, I do not want to *coerce* anyone into voting.

If people do not wish to involve themselves, I don't want them to be involved. Who we elect sucks badly enough as it is - what kind of clowns would we elect if we suddenly had to count the votes of all of these people who couldn't be bothered to vote before?

I know this is not tantamount to compulsory voting - but what exactly is the motivation for automatic/mandatory voter registration?

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(18746 posts)
tbrmskss ...This is the great unknown of American politics. What DO the unregistered and those who are registered but fail to vote think, feel, want, need? If you put a gun to their head how would they vote, or would they say shoot? Would the vote stay proportionately the same, or are their masses either on the right or Left sitting elections out? The technology exists as we speak to register EVERYONE, and there is an argument to me made that perhaps we should, and as you might expect, one that says we should not.

Rosemont IL

Username hidden
(3831 posts)
Hey tbr - nice to see you back. I hope it's more than just a transient reappearance.

OK - I see your point, but I was forced to assume that the vote turnout was equal across all demographics.

While this is obviously not perfect, Romney's "47% comment" falls under the same assumption. People said he was writing off 47% of the vote. That would only be true if making the same assumption.

I didn't mean to imply it was exactly "42.5%" (I suppose the decimal place in the %age played into that). I just meant it's "a lot of people", not some small number. A probably in the same ballpark as the crowd of people Romney's "47%" was in reference to, albeit a little lower.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(18746 posts)
In a nutshell...Politics is the art of the possible, and even in the post citizens united world, resources are finite When you work on a campaign you divide voters on a 1-6 scale 1 meaning they are a LOCK to vote for your candidate, 6 meaning they could run a convicted rapist against your candidate and they will still vote bagainst you Pre Wassermann Schultz, the target was 3-6 in 50 states, now, the strategy has been changed to 3-4 in 25 states and 4-5 in another 3 states.

Rosemont IL

Username hidden
(3831 posts)
"72% of the population is white. 59% of them voted for Romney. That's 42.5% of the population."

C'mon, you are better with stats than that...

What about the 42.5% of registered voters who didn't vote at all?

And what about the 43 million voting age people who did not bother to register?

Sloppy...

Lakeside CA

Username hidden
(17342 posts)
"If by "them" you are not actually referring to the 42.5% that I just described, rather you are referring to the kind you are, that's a smaller number. "

That came out a little strange. I meant - rather than the full 42.5% of the population who are "right leaning whites", you are really referring to a smaller subset thereof.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(18746 posts)
Well, what you also said was that "you don't need them".

If by "them" you are not actually referring to the 42.5% that I just described, rather you are referring to the kind you are, that's a smaller number.

It's foolish to write off 47% (or 42.5%). But included in that 47% are a whole lot of people that are forever out of reach for Republicans too.

It makes sense to not invest in trying to win over those who are never going to be yours to win over. So, depending on exactly who we're talking about here, we might not disagree much on this at all, in terms of electoral strategy.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(18746 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   11 to 20 of 26   End
TOPIC: Obama Giving up on right leaning Whites