Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMS General Discussions Politics Nurse Suing Hospital for Discrimination for Barring Black Nurses from Treating Patient
TOPIC: Nurse Suing Hospital for Discrimination for Barring Black Nurses from Treating Patient
Created by: vabeachcouple33
Original Starting post for this thread:
Courtesy of Nkenswing

An African-American nurse is suing a Michigan hospital after she says staff there agreed to a swastika-tattooed father’s request that no black nurses care for his new baby.

Tonya Battle, 49, sued the board of hospital managers of Hurley Medical Center in Flint, Mich., and Mary Osika, a nurse manager, on discrimination grounds after Battle said she was reassigned to accommodate the father’s request.

“I didn’t even know how to react,” Battle told the Detroit Free Press, which first reported the story.

Battle is a neonatal intensive care nurse who has worked at the 443-bed public teaching hospital for nearly 25 years. She said she was caring for infants as usual on Oct. 31, 2012 when the infant’s father asked to speak to her supervisor, according to a complaint filed in the Genessee County circuit court.

The father told the charge nurse “he did not want any African Americans taking care of his baby,” the complaint said. While making that statement, he pulled up his sleeve and showed a tattoo “believed to be a swastika of some kind.”

Instead of denying the request, the complaint said, the charge nurse called Osika, who advised her to reassign the baby to another nurse.

“Plaintiff was reassigned on or about Oct. 31, 2012 because she is African-American,” the complaint said. “Plaintiff was shocked, offended and in disbelief that she was so egregiously discriminated against based on her race and re-assigned.”

The next day, the complete alleged, Osika told staff members the request would be honored. When Battle returned to work on Nov. 2, 2012, the hospital posted a notice on an assignment clipboard that read: “No African-0American nurse to take care of baby.”

No black nurses were assigned to care for the baby for the following month, despite notice from hospital lawyers that the notice should be removed and that the father’s request would not continue to be granted, the complaint alleged.

Hospital officials, however, said that while the father’s request was “initially evaluated,” he was then told it could not be granted.

In a statement posted online, Melany Gavulic, president and chief executive of Hurley Medical Center said the man’s swastika tattoo created “anger and outrage in our staff.”

“This resulted in concern by supervisors for the safety of the staff,” she wrote.

Battle filed discrimination charges on Dec. 11, 2012, with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Battle’s lawsuit seeks punitive damages. Neither Battle nor her lawyer could immediately be reached by NBC News.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5
 1 to 10 of 49   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I agree with sweettart..all the options are available and people do make a vary bad health choices based on prejudice or religious believes..sad but true.

New York NY
Username hidden
(328 posts)
Sarducker...The hospital provides the mandatory care, they are under NO obligation to tailor the gender, race, religion, orentation or national origin of the caregivers. I'll say it again, the hospital made a bad call, and this infant should be removed from this family

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3844 posts)
Just wait til some nut requests only wants (example) an all-white male surgery staff for heart or brain surgery.... If that ever happened, an the racist died on the table because the best surgeons were female, Latin, Asian, Black, etc, that would be hilarious though.

Then, removing kids because the teacher was not the right color??

Milwaukee WI
Username hidden
(2121 posts)
The hospitals ought to send the qualified doctors/medical staff and not worry about providing or even having to staff people of (insert stupid request by sick person.) this is an additional cost to the hospital which it ought not have to consider.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7706 posts)
I disagree the hospital is not a political institution..its place where people get help. Do you think I should have sued the hospital when the AA girl requested AA doc to attend her ? I can assure you that Orthodox Jews will absolutely insists on Jewish physician to attend their wives..should the hospital ignore that request and give them christian doc, just because of equal oportunity ?

New York NY
Username hidden
(328 posts)
Sar:

I disagree on the law suit issue. If you do not want a race working on you out of racisim, leave the hospital. Society, namely American society is multi-cultural and multi-racial. Learn to deal with it or go find another hospital set up by racist, for racist.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7706 posts)
It is the parents right to pick and choose what he thinks is best for his family. examples: 1. Jewish people requesting only Jewish doctors to attend them. 2. Atheist refusing any church involvement in derision making. 3. Females requesting only females doctors 4. Males requesting only male doctors. 5. Patient requesting particular person to draw blood. as bad as racism is it is still the right of the patient to choose. The hospital must provide equal opportunity for everyone but that where its responsibilities end. The hospital can not force the patient to accept anything he does not like..think about this: If African-American woman request African-American doc to attend her is that racism ? Happened to me and I have no issue to accommodate for the patients good.

New York NY
Username hidden
(328 posts)
You would removing a child from an environment non conducive to they well being, education and possible safety. That is the very intent of child protection. A child's well being trumps their parents right to be douche nozzles...or at least it should. We don't need another generation of idiots

Rosemont IL
Username hidden
(3844 posts)
"Obviously the root of racism is mental defect / disorder."

I completely disagree. I think you are being far too general with a complex issue.

I do agree, however, that you can't take the kids away from everyone who's simply a jerk. We'd be seizing half the kids in America.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20268 posts)
Agencies evaluate cases of the mental health and fitness of parents daily. Obviously the root of racism is mental defect / disorder. However, since there still is the existence of crack families, et, I'd say the problem is bigger than it can handle. Obviously the system cant address every lunatic in our midst.

Emeryville CA
Username hidden
(12209 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5
 1 to 10 of 49   End
TOPIC: Nurse Suing Hospital for Discrimination for Barring Black Nurses from Treating Patient