North Carolina immigrants protest pink driver’s licenses : Swingers Discussion 2182401041
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsNorth Carolina immigrants protest pink driver’s licenses
TOPIC: North Carolina immigrants protest pink driver’s licenses
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... More 
Start   41 to 50 of 50 
User Details are only visible to members.
It is called a privlage only because we haven't updated the written concepts of driving sense the model T when having a car or auto-mobile was the mark of wealth and not the basic means of transport to and from work... Which for many can be as far away as 50 miles from their home.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7261 posts)
And yes Fj is right it is a privilege to be able to drive.

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
I can take a Taxi from Winchester to Dulles Airport 53 mile $46.00. I have done it. Was $54.00 on the way back.

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
Fjep:

That statement is simply stupidity. The way we have designed our society has made the automobile a necessity to work. Taxis cost 50 USD to go 5 miles, most people work up ward of 10-40 miles from home.

So until we have real public transit where I can hop on a train in hazleton and get off in Harrisburg to catch a bus to Indian town gap and arrive before 6am... Let alone hop on a bus and go from hazleton to Wilkes bare every 20 minutes or so...

You simply are acting and speaking from ignorance. You made society this difficult to live in, you will adapt what is and isn't a right to operate in it.

Now you can lose rights... If you are arrested for a DUI, you ought to lose the right. But that is because you did something wrong... Used a dangerious weapon foolishly.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7261 posts)
Drivers License is a privilege, not a right, they should be happy the state decided to let them have a license.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19237 posts)
Yea no kidding. I got a friend who came over from England and got married here. They have been making him jump through all kinds of hoops over the last 3 years. And the cost is just out of sight. But like I said you are doing it the right way and taking a beating while the others are getting a free pass.

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
It also took me 5 years to get a Green Card and was dependent on work-based visas while waiting. You'd think a Canadian married to an American would be the easiest process there is. Took 5 years.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18826 posts)
Vab. You are right. There is the right way to come in this country. You are doing it the right way and I am behind you for following the laws. The ones that come here illegal are being rewarded for breaking the law and now they are bitching about how it is done.

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
How is this news?

My Social Security card has emblazoned across the front of it "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION".

I'm tired of the ignorance associated with this (and almost every other) topic. I'm required to carry my Green Card with me everywhere I go in this country and have been for as long as I've lived here. How the fuck is this new?

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18826 posts)
Young immigrants in North Carolina recently given work permits under President Barack Obama's deferred action plan are outraged: The state will be giving them driver's licenses emblazoned with a pink stripe and the words "NO LAWFUL STATUS." "It is discrimination," said Jose Rico, a 23-year-old community college student who has been protesting the new licenses, announced by the state's Department of Transportation last month. Rico, who was brought to Raleigh by his family from Mexico when he was 13, received a work permit three weeks ago under Obama's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program. The DACA program provides relief from deportation and a two-year, renewable work permit for young illegal immigrants under 31 who were brought to the country as children and are attending or have graduated from high school. Immigrant advocacy groups in the state are planning protests targeting the state's Republican governor, Pat McCrory, in the lead-up to the special licenses' release March 25. McCrory seems unlikely to intervene in the Department of Transportation's decision, however. He has called the plan a "pragmatic compromise" between those who wanted the state to not issue licenses at all and those who wanted the state to issue regular licenses. Some state politicians, led by Republican state Rep. Mark Brody, have argued that the DACA program isn't valid because it was instituted by Obama through executive action last year, instead of approved by Congress, and thus North Carolina should not recognize it. North Carolina is one of a handful of states that said it was considering withholding driver's licenses to the young illegal immigrants who have been given temporary lawful presence and work permits under Obama's program. DACA recipients are not technically legal immigrants, even though they cannot be deported and can legally work. The federal government says they have "lawful presence" in the country but not "lawful status"—immigration terms with complex legal definitions. Rico and other activists argue that the license gives a false impression that they do not have the right to be in the country and could be deported. Michael Tan, a staff attorney at the American Civil Liberties Union, said the "no lawful status" emblazoned on the license "sends the wrong message to employers, to people at the bank, the people you come across in everyday life." The Department of Transportation said in a statement that it has used the pink color in the past, when it gave temporary licenses to evacuees of Hurricane Katrina. The ACLU is currently challenging Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer in court for her executive order declaring that no DACA recipient can get a license. Nebraska has also denied licenses to the group.

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... More 
Start   41 to 50 of 50 
TOPIC: North Carolina immigrants protest pink driver’s licenses