Network's Under Siege : Swingers Discussion 77496
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsNetwork's Under Siege
TOPIC: Network's Under Siege
Created by: Lucky2haveU
Original Starting post for this thread:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - NBC News' broadcast of a video manifesto by the Virginia Tech university killer drew criticism from police on Thursday, and some of the victims' family members canceled interviews with the network.

ADVERTISEMENT NBC said it had acted responsibly in showing the images, which it said represented a small fraction of what it had received. But the network and a rival, ABC, said they would limit future use.

The images dominated U.S. news coverage on Wednesday evening, two days after the killing.

"We had planned to speak to some family members of victims this morning but they canceled their appearances because they were very upset with NBC for airing the images," said NBC's "Today" morning program co-host Meredith Vieira.

Police handling the investigation into the shooting in Blacksburg, Virginia also expressed disappointment at the airing of the images and rants by Cho Seung-Hui, who killed 32 people and then himself on Monday in the worst shooting rampage in modern U.S. history.

State police chief Steve Flaherty said, "We're rather disappointed in the editorial decision to broadcast these disturbing images."

Cho, a 23-year-old student, mailed photographs of himself posing with the guns he bought and video railing against rich kids and debauchery. The package to NBC News was mailed after he killed his first two victims on Monday morning but before he cut down 30 more people in classrooms.

While NBC acknowledged that the material from Cho was likely devastating to the victims' families and that its news division was split over whether to air the material, NBC News President Steve Capus defended the decision to do so.

"This is I think as close as we will ever come to being inside of the mind of a killer, and I thought that it needed to be released," he said on MSNBC. "Pretty much every single news organization all around the world has made the same decision, that it was appropriate to release this information."

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4
 1 to 10 of 32   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I don't subscribe to that philosophy 38.

I have faught the school to keep my one daughter off meds.

Bridgeport PA
Username hidden
(12773 posts)
I don't feel sorry for him, everyone is trying to understand how/why such a thing as this could happen. Lucky topics go a little off topic all the time, you'll get over it.

New Castle PA
Username hidden
(4667 posts)
I don't feel sorry for the fucking asswhole. I feel compassion for the families of the victims. I understand why the victims families are so disturbed by the images of that sick and twisted individual.

Yes it is absolutely wonderful to be so enlightened as to care about other human beings in a time of suck loss and tragedy.

Bridgeport PA
Username hidden
(12773 posts)
The media is under siege and has been for some time now, How does that effect the news we hear but more importantly what we dont hear. This thread was intended for this discussion. If you wanna feel sorry for this fucking asshole do it on the Virginia tech page. The media was found guilty of glorifying this evil prick and now in two weeks NBC has changed course mid stream and no one seems to think this is significant.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
"This is I think as close as we will ever come to being inside of the mind of a killer,

So sorry Lucky I didn't think I was being so off topic as to offend you.

New Castle PA
Username hidden
(4667 posts)
Lucky maybe its not that we didn't get what you had intended this thread to be.

Maybe a few of us just have some compassion and understand of why the families were so outraged.

Bridgeport PA
Username hidden
(12773 posts)
WTF I guess no one has the capacity to grasp what this thread was for OH well Later.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
Before the 1960's those who were considered "a harm to themselves and or others" were institutionalized. After the 1960's there took place a change in laws governing what the state hospitals could and couldn't do, many mentally ill people could now receive outpatient care. There is no way to make sure people are taking their meds when they are outpatients. David Berkowitzs (son of sam) was considered a ps, as is the unabomber. I'm sure there are several others we can all think of who went on rampages who were later found to have been mentally ill (with a long history of it) and everyone wondered why they had not been hospitalized.

New Castle PA
Username hidden
(4667 posts)
Anyone who doesn't believe that a paranoid schizophrenia doesn't need medication has never meet anyone who is one. People with such severe mental illness as this do also come from good homes with good parents. Not always but it's not something you can say oh they have that illness because they had bad parents. A lot of people with schizophrenia associate the voices they hear with that of a god, so of course it is common for Jesus to be the one they speak of. The kid I grew up with spent 3 years of his life absolutely convinced he was Christ!!! It's almost logical in their thoughts to think they are hearing the voice of God. Yesterday when I watched the pictures and videos of Cho I didn't see evil I didn't see possession I saw the same look in his eye that I had seen in the past. DELUSION and ILLNESS! None of us know for sure that exactly what Cho's mental illness was. If you look up the traits of schizophrenia he had a lot of them.

I think NBC did need to show this information, people forget sometimes that they can and need to turn the tv off!!

New Castle PA
Username hidden
(4667 posts)
lol i have thought the same about you as well.

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4
 1 to 10 of 32   End
TOPIC: Network's Under Siege