Native American Domestic Violence : Swingers Discussion 216638
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsNative American Domestic Violence
TOPIC: Native American Domestic Violence
Created by: Nkenswing
Original Starting post for this thread:
From the National Organization of Women:

Native American Women and Violence

Native American women experience the highest rate of violence of any group in the United States. A report released by the Department of Justice, American Indians and Crime, found that Native American women suffer violent crime at a rate three and a half times greater than the national average. National researchers estimate that this number is actually much higher than has been captured by statistics; according to the Department of Justice over 70% of sexual assaults are never reported.

As women of color, Native Americans experience not only sexual violence, but also institutionalized racism. Alex Wilson, a researcher for the Native American group Indigenous Perspectives, found a high level of tension between law enforcement and Native American women, who report numerous encounters where the police treated the women as if they were not telling the truth.

"In a reservation community,” Wilson said, "911 would dispatch police to a scene of domestic violence, but police would call the victim by cell phone and decide himself when or if he should go to the victim’s home. Often the women would wait for an hour and other times the abuser would answer when the police called, and would say everything was fine, and there was no need for them to come. Native women . . . who called police for help were often re-victimized by the police."

Native American women also stand a high risk of losing their children in instances of physical and sexual abuse. The women often will stay with abusive husbands in order to keep their children. In one case, a woman was beaten by her husband so badly that he broke bones and she was forced to seek refuge in a domestic abuse shelter. The husband, through support of his tribe, was able to gain custody of their two children. He continued his violent behavior, at one point, throwing their two-year-old child across the room. The woman was never able to regain custody.

Can you believe that?

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 1 to 10 of 79   End
User Details are only visible to members.
the first time it is the abusers fault.the second time it is the victim fault.the three time it is both their fault.just cause you call them don't mean they will come..and yes take responstlbley for your self.If I had to call the police to save my life it would be over time the police got there...........BS

Kingston TN
Username hidden
(1991 posts)
Nk: It is a lot of land to cover for such few officers, I can only image that they break it up into sections and the officers are assigned to them. Otherwise it would be really hard to cover that much!

BS: Nice, hope you never need them to save your life. You might think twice about that comment if you do.

Nor: You are absolutely correct! It is a culture that needs to be respected like any other culture in this world whether it is understood or not. Thank you!

R

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3202 posts)
over and above all this sadness you still have to come to the point that everyone has to respect that culture even if you don't understand it.

Red Bluff CA
Username hidden
(438 posts)
So in bs's world if a abused woman calls 911 for help the dispatcher is supposed to say "Handle it yourself. It's your responsibility."

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2744 posts)
in my opinion,thats just mine.I think we have to many cops as it is.nobody wants to take responsibley for them selfs....BS

Kingston TN
Username hidden
(1991 posts)
That is a lot of territory for a few cops to cover. It might take hours for one to show. If they show at all...

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2744 posts)
NK: This is an interesting story and it looks like they caught the guy last may. I can't say that the issues on this reservation are common. You have to look at the whole picture. It is a reservation the size of Delaware and it only has a budget for 35 officers, with approximately 20,000 permanent residence. That equals out to be 1 officer for every 571 people. And that doesn't include the tourist that visit. It is sad that they don't have more police officers and that this issue went so far. What is worse, the BIA investigated the situation and came up with nothing but 3 people who didn't do it and they were rewarded for that. I don't know if those officers were Native or not..but that shouldn't matter.

The BIA is a branch of the FBI and they are held to FBI standards and go through FBI trainings. I don't know all the circumstances of this situation and for that I can not give a full evaluation of the situation. But the size of the dept. vs. populations is a huge lack there. In my eyes, it looks like the FBI dropped the ball here.

But I will say the reservation that I worked on and the surrounding ones that I worked closely with, had plenty of officers per persons ratio, excellent training, and we were paid more than the local police and sheriff's officers. I attended state of the art training courses, nationwide, with a huge diverse genre of departments. We always had great communications with the local LEOs...well up to the point that we got a police chief that let his power go to his head. He was a d-bag and that is putting it nicely. The chief they have now is actually working all those issues out now and getting the jurisdictional conflicts resolved. The issue is finding the good officers and weeding out the bad just like any other LEO dept.

R

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3202 posts)
Just incase anyone has been anxiously awaiting Miss Cpl's additional commentary, I should let you know that she spent the day yesterday driving to Kansas and arrived early this morning. She might be on later tonight but my guess is that her online time will be fairly limited until she gets home next week.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3202 posts)
Cool. Thanks.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2744 posts)
NK, I will answer to your post as soon as I can! That is a very interesting article! Thank you!!

R

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3202 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 1 to 10 of 79   End
TOPIC: Native American Domestic Violence