Mrs John Edwards : Swingers Discussion 759661011
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsMrs John Edwards
TOPIC: Mrs John Edwards
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   11 to 20 of 26   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Dizzy,

Maybe I am out of my element. However, since I am a career "cop" who has conducted 1000 of investigations and testified in various courts, not only at the state and federal levels, but in military courts-martials and international courts as well, I have many, many close friends who are attorneys that have many of the same views as I do.

Also, my son is an attorney, currently working at the largest law firm in North America. He has little respect for much of the civil litigation that his firm handles. He is attempting to move over to criminal law where he can work as a prosecutor.

Somehow I do not think any of them are out of their element.

Also, you can "blame" the jury for the OJ trial. I do not. I blame a legal system where even judges and other trial lawyers have stated that OJ's, supposed Dream Team was allowed to present and shift the focus onto nonexistent "evidence" and speculation by camera loving judge; Judge Ito. The masters course I am completely, the instructors, with the exception of two, are all Judges and Lawyers. The majority of them feel the OJ trial was a slap at their profession, and not a fair representation of criminal justice. The prosecutors not only performed like bumbling idiots, but that the Judge allowed the Defense to orchestrate control of a court room beyond what the law normally allows. Most of these instructors are also admitted Democrats and/or liberals and yet, in classes, they are the ones who complain about their own profession creating "frivolous" lawsuits and justification defenses that our original system never intended.

We need good lawyers. Overall, I still believe it is an honorable profession, but it is a profession that has closed itself off from the general public, as well as a profession that seems to think it has all the answers, through lawsuits for every problem in life.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
ok, im off the trial lawyer rant... :-)

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
Keep in mind that...

Years of conservative agitation about trial lawyers have led the public to believe that the courts are clogged with "frivolous lawsuits." But that belief is unlikely to withstand a national debate, because the truth is fundamentally different from what tort reformers pretend. There has indeed been a rise in frivolous claims. But they haven't been brought by personal injury lawyers; those claims have actually decreased over the last decade. The single factor most clogging the judicial system is frivolous litigation brought by corporations against corporations, which don't involve independent trial lawyers at all. For example, John Deere went after a competitor for using the same shade of green that Deere paints its tractors. Gillette sued Norelco, claiming its ads for a new electric razor were "false and deceptive" because they depicted non-electric razors as "ferocious creatures." Nabisco sued Keebler over the latter's claim that its chocolate-chip cookies contained 25 percent more chips than Nabisco's.

Each of these cases is more representative of the true problem of frivolous litigation.

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
btw, there are no, or very few medical malpractice "class actions". as i understand it, edwards was NOT a class action lawyer.

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
also, again, most if not all jurisdictions require experts to be board certified and active doctors. keep in mind that any good defense lawyer can attack a professional witness opinion. bottom line is that this guy was a great trial lawyer. so what?

i truly believe you are out of you element on the issue of lawsuits and are believing the hype, so to speak. why would i want to invest tens of thousands of dollars on a weak or fraudulent case. cases are tried before juries. if you do not like the outcome, blame the jury. do i think the OJ jury got it right, no. do i think his lawyers were great... yes.

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
sen,

i did not have time to read ur entire last post but i can tell u that in the state of PA and in most states, every single "release" the document which allows a settlement requires a confidentiality clause. this is insisted upon by the defendants, not the plaintiff.

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
First all those "experts" you refer to, in most cases, are NOT practicing doctors etc. They have become professional "witnesses" who sell their expert opinions. The American Journal of Medicine, JAMA, Nurses Society etc, have all published data concerning what Edwards did in the late 1980s and 1990s. The data does not challenge or dispute Edwards it clearly demonstrates he had his "experts" were WRONG.

Also in all his lawsuits concerning this issue they were class action lawsuits with multiple to hundreds of "clients".

Dizzy, in the thread concerning Gonzalez and the 8 attorney's who were not renewed, you and others make a good argument about "transparency". That same transparency needs to apply to lawsuits as well. It is BS that cases are settled under "confidentiality". Many times it is NOT to protect the so called clients, but to protect the disgraceful way that many attorneys handled the cases and protect those attorneys from being exposed by clients who later on find they were "taken for a ride".

If you look it up, several of the clients that Edwards represented, came forward and violated the "confidentiality agreements", when they realized Edwards used them and that he is a fraud. These people who were not rich, and placed themselves in monetary risk by exposing many of the truths involved in his so called great legal career.

I take the word of scientists who did prolong studies on this issue, after Edwards made millions on a lie, over the word of professional "witnesses".

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
and best wishes to tony snow as well... like his suits...not his spin :-)

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
sen, i have also met mr. edwards and having handles CP cases i can tell u that ur statement that CP cannot be caused by anything done in the delivery is simply not correct. keep in mind and i certainly don't want to get into a medical malpractice debate that lawyers don't win medical malpratice cases, their experts do. what edwards may or may not have done in his closing arguments is not evidence at all. all evidence (and u don't win cases without evidence) MUST come from board certified obstericians, neonatologists, placental pathologists and pediatric neurologists, etc.

many if not all med. mal cases which are settled are confidential so i am not sure the basis for your statement that none of his clients. i do know he had a settlement of 25 million. are u saying he took 24.1 million and they clients got 900K

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
Since everyone is wishing Mrs Edwards, the best (which they should be), people should also wish for Tony Snow's recovery as well.

Snow, in February 2005, developed cancer in his colon. He had his colon removed and returned to work in April 2005. Recently, in the past few weeks, Snow announced that he would be undergoing surgery to remove and investigate an abdominal growth. On March 27, 2007, the White House announced that the growth was cancerous and had metastasized to Snow's liver. On March 27th, on CNN, Dr Otis Brawley, stated that although he could not speak directly to Snow's condition, only 5 to 10% of patients with metastatic colon cancer "do well."

I would hope that people give and reflect the same empathy and sympathy to Tony Snow as they do towards Mrs. Edwards and to all those who continually battle cancer and it's effects.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
Start   11 to 20 of 26   End
TOPIC: Mrs John Edwards