More violent deaths in US than other wealthy nations, report shows : Swingers Discussion 2151311081
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsMore violent deaths in US than other wealthy nations, report shows
TOPIC: More violent deaths in US than other wealthy nations, report shows
GoTo Page: Less ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Start   81 to 90 of 148   End
User Details are only visible to members.
.." if you are going to use statistics to drive policy, you're going to come up with some very VERY uncomfortable policies. "

OK, well, misusing statistics never does any good, for any purpose, at any time. It just makes people mistrust statistics, or the people presenting them.

Statistics are just the quantification of facts, and they're a useful tool. Any idiot can misuse any tool. That says nothing about the value of the proper use of the tool.

Feel free at any time to get on the good side of numbers usage. Confusion is the derelict use of communication.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Of course not.

I'd trust a black person to watch my kids, though. I judge each person according to their merits.

My point was if you are going to use statistics to drive policy, you're going to come up with some very VERY uncomfortable policies.

The report in question completely focused on guns. It completely ignored (according to the snippet presented here) what is by FAR the biggest difference between the US and other wealthy nations. And so are you. And so does everyone, because it's not a fun thing to talk about.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17601 posts)
So you would try to find a mentally ill person to babysit your kids? You would go to a school board meeting and argue that only mentally ill people should be considered for security?

I suspect perhaps the criteria are different for the 1/6 of Americans who are mentally ill -- and this surely includes depression, obsessive-compulsive, and other mostly harmless diagnoses -- and those murderers who have been classified as mentally unfit to stand trial.

Numbers don't lie, but they most certainly can be misinterpreted.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
I'll write it again.

If our homicide rate were 3, I don't think we'd be having the same conversation.

Demographics are a far better predictor of homicide rate than guns. This is inescapable. Ignore the elephant in the room all you like.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17601 posts)
Mental illness:

1994 study estimates 1,170 homicides by people with mental illness.

E. F. Torrey, Violent behavior by individuals with serious mental illness, Hospital and Community Psychiatry 45:653–662, 1994

2000 study estimates 1,522. So fine, elevate my number from 1,200 to 1,500.

H. Harwood, A. Ameen, G. Denmead et al., The Economic Costs of Mental Illness, Rockville, Md.: NIMH, 2000

As for the race numbers - those are straight from the FBI.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17601 posts)
Which do you challenge?

The race #s? Or mental illness?

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17601 posts)
"Demographics are a far better predictor of homicide rate than guns."

I tried to get some in the Fora to figure that out. I guess people like to be told things and not look into it themselves.

Brooklyn Park MN

Username hidden
(3843 posts)
"Can one escape the conclusion that mentally ill people are less dangerous than white people, and MUCH less dangerous than black people?"

We should hire certifiably mentally ill people to babysit our kids, and etc?

I'll go just a wee bit out on a limb and suggest that your numbers are wack.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
If our homicide rate were 3, I don't think we'd be having the same conversation.

Demographics are a far better predictor of homicide rate than guns. This is inescapable. Ignore the elephant in the room all you like.

Chesapeake VA

Username hidden
(17601 posts)
Perhaps my brain is tired. I can't seem to imagine a "mentally healthy" person committing murder. Prosecutors may habitually try to establish that in court, but oftentimes it strains credulity.

Flat Rock NC

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Start   81 to 90 of 148   End
TOPIC: More violent deaths in US than other wealthy nations, report shows