More violent deaths in US than other wealthy nations, report shows : Swingers Discussion 2151311081
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsMore violent deaths in US than other wealthy nations, report shows
TOPIC: More violent deaths in US than other wealthy nations, report shows
GoTo Page: Less ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... More 
Start   81 to 90 of 140   End
User Details are only visible to members.
"Demographics are a far better predictor of homicide rate than guns."

I tried to get some in the Fora to figure that out. I guess people like to be told things and not look into it themselves.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
"Can one escape the conclusion that mentally ill people are less dangerous than white people, and MUCH less dangerous than black people?"

We should hire certifiably mentally ill people to babysit our kids, and etc?

I'll go just a wee bit out on a limb and suggest that your numbers are wack.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
If our homicide rate were 3, I don't think we'd be having the same conversation.

Demographics are a far better predictor of homicide rate than guns. This is inescapable. Ignore the elephant in the room all you like.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18765 posts)
Perhaps my brain is tired. I can't seem to imagine a "mentally healthy" person committing murder. Prosecutors may habitually try to establish that in court, but oftentimes it strains credulity.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
I didn't trust the source in my first post so I removed it.

re: Were these people known to be mentally ill before committing homicide, or after?

Either/or/both. All combined.

Certainly, some seriously mentally ill people are institutionalized and their access to deadly weapons severely curtailed.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18765 posts)
I had some odd statistics up before..... allow me to revise...

26.2% of the population fit the criteria for having some kind of "mental disorder" at any given time. 59.6% are considered "moderate" or "serious". That's ~47 million people.

Estimates vary on the # of homicides committed by mentally ill people from 600 to 1,200. Let's go with 1,200 - the high end.

2.1 per 100,000.

Can one escape the conclusion that mentally ill people are less dangerous than white people, and MUCH less dangerous than black people?

Can you attribute this to gun control alone? I haven't gone looking, but I'd imagine mentally ill people have a higher rate of "other than gun" homicide than the general population.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18765 posts)
VB, since you removed your 'provocative' post, can you remind us what the 5.8 per 100,000 referred to? Was it the rate of homicides by the mentally ill in the US? Were these people known to be mentally ill before committing homicide, or after?

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Also above 5.8 homicides per 100,000 are Louisiana, Maryland, New Mexico, Mississippi, Nevada, Georgia, North and South Carolina, California, Arkansas, Michigan, Arizona, Missouri, Illinois, Tennessee, and Texas.

If guns were removed from these states, residents would probably smuggle them in from other states. This is of course preposterous, and no one is seriously suggesting that.

And so, the reason it doesn't happen is the same as for your suggestion.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Speaking of cherry picking

South Korea 2.6 Luxumbourg 2.5 Taiwan 3.2 Israel 2.1

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18765 posts)
ebay.c om/itm/Assault-Spork-/261153740945

Get your assault sporks before Fineswine bans them.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19237 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... More 
Start   81 to 90 of 140   End
TOPIC: More violent deaths in US than other wealthy nations, report shows