More violent deaths in US than other wealthy nations, report shows : Swingers Discussion 2151311031
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsMore violent deaths in US than other wealthy nations, report shows
TOPIC: More violent deaths in US than other wealthy nations, report shows
GoTo Page: Less ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... More 
Start   31 to 40 of 140   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Nke, some in this Fora assume that those who oppose unions also oppose a better standard of living/wages. Opposition to a union does not necessarily equate to opposition of earning a good wage.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
Outdoors you kind of imply that poor people on welfare are shooting people. I don't think that's the case. Poverty, in my opinion is probably more a function of one's ability to get/hold a better paying job.

There may be a number of reasons for one to be poor and/or receiving welfare. Some may not be intelligent enough to get/hold a higher paying job, some may not be physically capable of holding a higher paying job, some may be the result of a series of events in their lives (think single parent/special needs child, student), some may be what I refer to as "slackers"... the list goes on.

A better off financially person shoots/kills someone for greed? Possibly, but I can think of a number of cases where a better off financially person killed someone for reasons other than greed. Do the initials O.J. ring a bell?

Is poverty a contributing factor to stress that may push someone over the line? Probably, just as any other stressful situation that anyone rich or poor may encounter in their life. It's ones ability to handle their own emotions and their ability to make wise choices given the situation.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
" A couple of times I had thought about working the fields. Yes it is hard work but it is meaningful work. "

Well, at least you thought about it. And you have known some who did. Hard work isn't the same as good work, any more than hard luck is good luck, or hard times are good times.

Sometimes hard work just breaks you down, and then you're incapacitated. And then you might be on welfare.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Out: I disagree with your statement about ending welfare will make poor people more poor. I live in the San Joaquine Valley of CA. I grew up in the Lompoc Valley and out in country CA there are a lot of food growing valleys. All through out my life I grew up with and have lived near field workers. Many of my school friends put themselves through College by working in the fields. A couple of times I had thought about working the fields. Yes it is hard work but it is meaningful work. You make an honest living and working your way up ends up paying very well. Family units that work the fields are strong, healthy nuclear families. Everyone has a strong work ethic. Dang near every hispanic cop I work with, or was in the military with, grew up this way. Right now America's so called "poor" are so well paid this country has to import workers to work our fields. I say end welfare and lead the people to meaningful jobs and healthy families.

Tulare CA
Username hidden
(1880 posts)
I didn't say he was in the union.I said he was making union wages....BS

Kingston TN
Username hidden
(1991 posts)
Union wages BS?

Hate to break it to you but there's quite a few in this fora who are against unions and earning a decent wage.

You must've missed it.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2789 posts)
why are poor people poor? because they want to be.they are lazy,the goverment will give them a pay check for doing noting.a person who don't want to be poor will do something about it.hey school is free.you don't go to school,can't read or write.thats your fault.I had a uncle who started taking care of him self at 11 years old,had his own apartment at 14 selling newspapers in the 50s. be came a plumber making union wages at 23.why? because he did not want to be poor.he did it him self.he couldn't read or write until he was 25 years old.so don't give me that bullshit they are poor because they are at a disadvantage.I went to the 9 grade.I have never been poor.I took care of me,always made top wages,why? because I worked hard thats why.poor people are poor because they don't want to change who they are..............end of that bullshit..........BS

Kingston TN
Username hidden
(1991 posts)
That's right, there's no logical reason to suppose that because well-off people don't have to shoot anyone to survive, that therefore poor people have to shoot people to survive.

Most people who are shooting people are probably feeling rather desperate. Poverty is certainly an element in some people's feeling of desperation, and sometimes a person snaps and uses a gun. Rich people would most likely murder someone because of serious greed, and not because their survival is at stake.

With any serious problem it is much easier to make the problem worse than to make it better. Taking poor people's welfare, thus making them even poorer, would surely make things worse.

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Wait, this administration has made it almost impossible for the poor to afford guns and ammo. How can the poor be shooting to survive? Is that what those gang bangers are doing in Chicago, drive by shooting to survive?

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19526 posts)
" "Poor people have to shoot someone to survive? "

Guess I missed who said this. "

Outdoors, I asked that because of this post by you:

"Poverty drives people to desperation. It doesn't matter if they're black or white. Rich people don't usually feel they have to shoot someone to survive. "

You implied that anyone other than a rich person may feel they have to shoot someone to survive. Because you referred to a poverty driven action, I chose to ask if you actually believed those in poverty usually feel they have to shoot someone to survive.

Perhaps I should have worded the question differently.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... More 
Start   31 to 40 of 140   End
TOPIC: More violent deaths in US than other wealthy nations, report shows