Misuse of Patriot Act : Swingers Discussion 75026
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsMisuse of Patriot Act
TOPIC: Misuse of Patriot Act
Created by: dzzyred
Original Starting post for this thread:
The FBI improperly and, in some cases, illegally used the USA Patriot Act to secretly obtain personal information about people in the United States, a Justice Department audit concluded today.

Gonazales says this is "unacceptable", but does he mean it?

GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 17   End
User Details are only visible to members.
in hearings yesterday before the House Judiciary Committe Rep. Darrell Issa R-Calif stated "From the attorney general on down, you should be ashamed of yourself, we stretched to try to give you the tools necessary to make America safe, and it is very, very clear that you've abused that trust."

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
I have been against the Patriot Act since its beginning. I realize that we need safeguards from terrorism, but we should not lose our Constitutional rights in the process. All the Patriot Act is is a way for our Government and our elected officials to get rid of the pieces of the Constitution they don't like a little at a time.

Spencer TN
Username hidden
(6440 posts)
Lucky,

Sadly that is how this administration has been painted. I may not concur with President Bush nor Gonzalez, but I find it hard to believe that they do not want what they believe is best for this country, while protecting the freedoms we enjoy.

Every politician has their view on how to interpret laws, as well as the constitution. I could point out all day the views of both liberal and conservative politicians and past appointees that I believe "infringed" upon my view of said law or the constitution.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Nope he sure doesnt (Gonzales) give a shit about the constitution according to some. Neither does any one else in this admin. accoring to some so the verdict is in they are all Nazi's so the opening question is moot.

Saint Louis MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
Thanks Dizzy,

As much as I dislike our two party dominated system, I always reflect on what one of my mentors said to me when I would be bitching about politicians or what I perceived as inadequate or unnecessary new laws or agencies. He would paraphrase this quote:

"We should never despair, our Situation before has been unpromising and has changed for the better, so I trust, it will again. If new difficulties arise, we must only put forth new Exertions and proportion our Efforts to the exigency of the times." -- George Washington (letter to Philip Schuyler, 7/15/1777)

No matter who is in the white house or who controls congress, I concur with you that this is the greatest nation on earth, and no matter what "bumps" in the road we, as a people experience, this country has continued to move forward with far more positive change then negative.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
sen,

great post. i did see that there were possible criminal implications. whether or not i agree with all aspects of the act i think the application of the act must be within the confines of the same. if u go beyond u should be held accountable. i certainly agree that we have an amazing country (from whatever political perspective u come from) that allows these type of internal audits.

as an aside and speaking of other not so great countries, my mother has "banned" me from all future trips to russia in light of all the poisonings!! haha

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
I am concerned about this, but both Dizzy and Perfect point out that initial reports state the FBI agents misused the Patriot Act. I have read nothing that the act itself was wrong, but that Agents applied the act in a wrong way. Perfect is correct that agents, as well as police have misused the rulings in Mapp v Ohio, Escobida v Illinois; Miranda v Arizona, etc.

Dizzy makes the point, one which I echo, that they should be fired. The FBI is primarily made up of Agents who are Lawyers, Doctors and those with advanced education. It would be hard to believe they did not know they were violating or even bending the rules of the Patriot Act. For that they should be held accountable.

My initial, but cautious response would be that we might want to commend this government and the Justice Department for letting an internal audit expose these abuses. Instead, I will wait as this story is still new and the specific abuses and allegations need to be looked at once the full report is released.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
sp,

and u sounded like such a voice of reason with ur "meanness" post!! haha

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
perfect as u can see from post yesterday in the gingrich forum i think we got the best there is...

whether i believe it or not, scooter libby is a criminal. whether i believe it or not, oj is innocent.... the beauty/irony of the american judicial system. not perfect by any stretch but still the best in the world!

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
i always tread carefully, i am just concerned about certain governmental agencies that don't know when to put on the brakes!

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(5326 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 17   End
TOPIC: Misuse of Patriot Act