Mississippi officially ratifies amendment abolishing slavery — finally : Swingers Discussion 217241
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsMississippi officially ratifies amendment abolishing slavery — finally
TOPIC: Mississippi officially ratifies amendment abolishing slavery — finally
Created by: Nkenswing
Original Starting post for this thread:
It's already embarrassing that Mississippi didn't ratify the 13th Amendment (the one that, you know, abolishes slavery) until 1995. It's even more embarrassing that the Magnolia State didn't officially ratify the amendment until now, almost 150 years after Congress voted for it. Back in '95 the state never properly notified the U.S. Archivist about the ratification, so it was never official. This apparent clerical blunder wasn't spotted until Dr. Ranjan Batra, an associate professor at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, saw "Lincoln" and wondered what happened when the states voted on ratification. The right paperwork was filed and on February 7, 2013 Mississippi officially ratified the 13th Amendment. "It was long overdue," admitted Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann.

No Kidding!

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 5 of 5 
User Details are only visible to members.
I posted it because I thought it was funny after over 150 years things still get held up be human error or red tape.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2789 posts)
OK. I'll take you at your word.

In that case, like I said it's embarrassing for a state to have goofed up in such a way as to not even get their ratification information to the Feds.

Fun fact in sort of the same vein: It was discovered that due to an error, Congress never actually admitted Ohio into the union, and this error wasn't corrected until 1953, 150 years after Ohio thought it joined the country.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20207 posts)
Your inference is wrong.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2789 posts)
I'm surprised it took until 11:20 AM for someone to post this. I'm sure the inference is that Mississippi decided just now that slavery is bad.

It's certainly bad PR for Mississippi to be doing this now. However, it was (and remains) common practice for the ratification process to end when the requisite number of states have managed to ratify it. Most amendments do not have 100% ratification, mostly because they never considered them because other states did it.

Working backward: Amendment # and # of states which have not ratified it.

27th - 5 26th - 8 25th - 3 24th - 8 23rd - 9 22nd - 7 21st - 10 20th - 0 19th - 0 18th - 2 17th - 8 16th - 7 15th - 0 14th - 0 (was 2 until 2003 when Ohio and New Jersey ratified it) 13th - 0 (just now) 12th - 3 11th - 2

If my initial guess is correct, than Mississippi in 1995 was ahead of Ohio and New Jersey, who until 2003 felt that blacks shouldn't be citizens (the 14th amendment which overruled Dredd Scott), and California until 1962 obviously felt that blacks shouldn't be allowed to vote (the 15th amendment).

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20207 posts)
It's already embarrassing that Mississippi didn't ratify the 13th Amendment (the one that, you know, abolishes slavery) until 1995. It's even more embarrassing that the Magnolia State didn't officially ratify the amendment until now, almost 150 years after Congress voted for it. Back in '95 the state never properly notified the U.S. Archivist about the ratification, so it was never official. This apparent clerical blunder wasn't spotted until Dr. Ranjan Batra, an associate professor at the University of Mississippi Medical Center, saw "Lincoln" and wondered what happened when the states voted on ratification. The right paperwork was filed and on February 7, 2013 Mississippi officially ratified the 13th Amendment. "It was long overdue," admitted Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann.

No Kidding!

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2789 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 5 of 5 
TOPIC: Mississippi officially ratifies amendment abolishing slavery — finally