McCain's Double Talk Express: His Dubious Record on Supporting Vets : Swingers Discussion 106396
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsMcCain's Double Talk Express: His Dubious Record on Supporting Vets
TOPIC: McCain's Double Talk Express: His Dubious Record on Supporting Vets
Created by: sappholovers
Original Starting post for this thread:
McCain's reputation for straight talk is derailed quite markedly when we contrast his respectful rhetoric for Vets and his voting record, as revealed in the following LA Times Op-Ed piece.

McCain's attack on vets His respectful rhetoric isn't matched by his votes. By Edward Humes May 30, 2008

MORE THAN A FEW people have been puzzled by Sen. John McCain's dogged opposition to the updated GI Bill of Rights now before Congress. The dissonance between McCain's military-man image and his actions on this issue have introduced a jarring note to his presidential aspirations -- and have highlighted the shoddy treatment many Iraq war veterans have received.

Why would a Vietnam War veteran and former prisoner of war, a man who is personally acquainted with the difficulties vets can face in returning to civilian life, join President Bush in opposing a popular bipartisan bill to support the troops? Isn't fixing the education benefit in the bill -- one that has shortchanged far too many veterans for years -- a political no-brainer in an election year? The 75 senators who recently voted for it certainly thought so..

.....If the media weren't so mesmerized by the McCain image they have long promoted and instead got to know the McCain record, they would realize that there is nothing surprising or inconsistent about his position on the GI Bill. For years he has opposed legislation that veterans and their advocates deem vital....

McCain's rationalization for opposing the bill may not hold water, but his stance makes perfect sense in light of his record. From 2004 to 2006, the Disabled Veterans of America gave him annual scores ranging from 50% to the most recent 20% when it comes to supporting the group's legislative priorities. The Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America gave him a grade of "D" in its most recent analysis of voting records. The American Legion says he is dead wrong on the GI Bill, as does the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

When Obama (who has averaged an 86% rating from the Disabled Veterans of America) criticized McCain on the GI Bill, the Arizona senator angrily suggested that Obama's status as a non-veteran rendered his opinions on military matters worthless (an odd stance, as this standard would also discount the opinions of 85% of American men, 98.8% of American women and two-thirds of Congress). Then he invited a look at his own record by asserting, "I take a back seat to no one in my affection, respect and devotion to veterans."

So let's take McCain up on his invitation. Here is how he has stood on recent legislation supported by major veterans organizations:

* On Webb's GI Bill, he expressed opposition, and he was AWOL when it was time to vote on May 22.

* Last September, he voted against another Webb bill that would have mandated adequate rest for troops between combat deployments.

* On a badly needed $1.5-billion increase for veterans medical services for fiscal year 2007 -- to be funded through closing corporate tax loopholes -- he voted no. He also voted against establishing a trust fund to bolster under-budgeted veterans hospitals.

* In May 2006, he voted against a $20-billion allotment for expanding swamped veterans medical facilities.

* In April 2006, he was one of 13 Senate Republicans who voted against an amendment to provide $430 million for veterans outpatient care.

* In March 2004, he voted against and helped defeat on a party-line vote a $1.8-billion reserve for veterans medical care, also funded by closing tax loopholes.

.....So here is where the McCain image and reality part company. It is certainly true that his affectionate and respectful rhetoric for America's servicemen and women takes a back seat to no one. But when it comes to improving the health and education of our veterans, McCain's record leaves them stranded by the side of the road.

Edward Humes is the author of "Over Here: How the GI Bill Transformed the American Dream"

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 147   End
User Details are only visible to members.
LOL..I guess they missed the TRUTH EXPRESS and my common sense approach!

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
What suspension? I had to go to Ft Lauderdale for a business meeting Tue and Wed, just got back this AM. HOWDY

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
Rush Limbaugh sets new $400M deal July 2, 2008, 4:05 PM EST Approaching his 20th anniversary as talk radio's most dominant force, Rush Limbaugh has signed a lucrative new deal with Premiere Radio Networks that will keep him on the air until 2016.

Premiere wouldn't disclose details on Wednesday, but Limbaugh told The New York Times in an article to be published Sunday that he would be getting a nine-figure signing bonus and would make about $38 million a year. with a minimum of 14 million listeners...GO RUSH!

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
Lucky,

I highly recommend James Webb's book, "Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America." He writes in a lively, engaging style. I don't agree with everything he says, but I found the book quite interesting, and I'd be more than fine with him as a VP with Obama.

Los Angeles CA
Username hidden
(4376 posts)
Lucky:

Cool. I absolutely love research and the study of primary materials, and I've given much attention to reading the writings of Jefferson, Adams, Madison, Lincoln, Calhoun, Daniel Webster, Thoreau, Frederick Douglass, Melville, Stowe, and many volumes of the Southern Literary Messenger as well as Harper's, Putnam's Monthly, and the Atlantic Monthly, which were some of the major journals of antebellum America. It's exhilarating to immerse oneself in these voices. I did such research and writing about it for ten years to write my first book.

Send me an email and I'll provide you with the title of my book on politics and literature between the Revolutionary era and the Civil War, and you can check it out on Amazon. It's published by Cambridge University Press, and it's 450 pages long, with the last 50 pages devoted to footnotes. The bibliography is about 4-5 pages long. It's now available in paperback. The Amazon site also gives reviews of my book from academic journals, and I believe it even identifies where I am a professor. It will give you an example of what can come from intensive study of American literature and history.

Lick & Nibbles also has the information.

Los Angeles CA
Username hidden
(4376 posts)
Nice comment Lucky. After all the smoke is cleared on here if you have not learned or re-thought an idea you are the true loser. We've had our verbal bouts (and I still think your full of shit) but the comment about SAPP was deep and revealing under all your shit, your proberly a decent person.

Now back to war. IMPEECH THE CHIMP LOL JUBAMBD

Grifton NC
Username hidden
(1364 posts)
your not a professor sapp you said so...LOL LIAR!

Saint Louis MO
Username hidden
(12440 posts)
I will admit you are very hard to ignore. And besides sappy I have learned a lot of what I forgot about people like you. And I have learned a lot about researching and about how to debate. I can thank You for that. You have made me do things I have not done since College. So like I said earlier, It is exhilarating.

Saint Louis MO
Username hidden
(12440 posts)
Debjack:

You say that I "leech" off the taxpayers. Why is that? Here's a clue for you: I don't teach at a public university or college supported by tax dollars.

I can't wait to teach students in the fall Obama's speech on race and on patriotism, which he just gave in Independence, Missouri on June 30th.

You should read his speech on patriotism and gain a more complex sense of it. I feel very patriotic teaching students American culture, literature, history, law and politics. I get to introduce them to some remarkable voices......

By the way, you keep charging me with racism, but you never explain it. Who do you think I'm racist against? What am I prejudiced about or bigoted about?

If you want to see racism and prejudice, I can recommend some posts by another poster in the Forum who lives in the South. But you will not speak up against a blatant racism when it's staring you in the face.

Los Angeles CA
Username hidden
(4376 posts)
Lucky: "your [sic] a loser." It should be "you are" or you're."

Let's see who has been betraying their word in the Forum. Remember when you, Debjack, FJEP and Sweetbutt made a pact or pledged to boycott my posts and not respond to them. So much for the way you keep your word.

Los Angeles CA
Username hidden
(4376 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... More 
 1 to 10 of 147   End
TOPIC: McCain's Double Talk Express: His Dubious Record on Supporting Vets