Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Politics › MI is now a Right to work state!
TOPIC: MI_is_now_a_Right_to_work_state!
« Prev  1 ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next »
131 to 140 of 159
User Details are only visible to members.
Can we please ban the use of the word "feudal" by anyone who doesn't know what the fuck it actually means?

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28793 posts)
Can't say I agree with that either. So I'd probably fall somewhere in the middle then. If the law simply stated that union membership cannot be forced upon anyone, I'd be fine with that. But I still don't like the idea of telling unions that they can't charge membership dues. Long standing members will likely continue to pay out of loyalty that's been built up over 10 or 20 years, but younger workers just joining or future workers who haven't had the benefit of union protection throughout their lives probably will be less inclined to pay since they can get the same protection for free. On the surface, it really does seem like a crippling blow to unions.

Admittedly, I don't know much about unions or union law, so I probably have a really simplistic point of view on it.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3294 posts)
They should continue with their logic and pass a law that Michigan residents don't have to pay taxes if they don't want to, yet they can still enjoy the benefits of a civilized state.

It's solid proof that some people have way too much money, when they spend it on efforts to create a feudalistic society. The middle class is being turned into a bunch of peons, so that the lords of this society can have dirt-cheap labor at their beck and call.

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
(Posted by a member of one of the groups that I belong to. He was once an active member of the forums)

Below is an excerpt from Article 5 of one of the CBA's I am signature to, and which apparently holds up in court- Taft Hartley be damned. It cost me and several other employers a WHOLE LOT OF MONEY to find out this holds up in Minnesota:

“An Employee performing work covered by this agreement must become and remain a member in good standing of the Union as a condition of employment for an Employer. The Employee must become a member in good standing of the Union by no later than the eighth (8th) day following the beginning of employment or the effective date of this agreement, whichever is later.

The Employer agrees to dismiss Employees who refuse to become members of the Union as required above. The Union agrees to notify the employer in writing of all Employees who have not joined the Union.”

Username hidden
(17355 posts)
"It is precisely because I am pro choice, I'm glad to see the governor sign a bill that gives Americans the ability to choose if they want to join a union or not. "

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there was never any requirement to join a union in the first place. It was always a personal choice. Just like the Hostess strike, the union was not working but the non-union employees were still showing up to work everyday.

And if I'm understanding the law correctly, it more or less states that union workers don't have to pay union dues if they don't want to. A union is, in essence, a private club. It's no different than the Lions Club or the VFW or the Boy Scouts. All of which require membership fees. Will the gov't try telling these clubs that they can no longer require members to pay? Probably not since none of those organizations are in the business of protecting the working man.

I've said here before that unions sometimes do more harm than good, but those cases are rare and more often than not, they are doing right by their members. But I'm still a pro-union guy (and no, I don't belong to one. Never have.).

I have a big big problem with this law simply for the fact that the gov't is overstepping it's bounds.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3294 posts)
Which is the greater act of violence?

An individual smearing feces on a storefront window, or one of the largest banks in the world laundering money for drug kingpins and terrorists?

San Diego CA
Username hidden
(22801 posts)
Leaves right after VA, completely confused.

Username hidden
(17355 posts)
The alternative to might is weakness.

Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Serves me right for wandering back in here.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(28793 posts)
I am completely lost, I don't understand how Iraq entered into conversation, I re-read the thread, and see no mention of it until VA mentioned it.

Tbr, are you suggesting that, signing this into law is = an act of violence?

Username hidden
(17355 posts)
« Prev  1 ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next »
131 to 140 of 159
TOPIC: MI is now a Right to work state!
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.