Look for my article in USA Today : Swingers Discussion 74119101
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsLook for my article in USA Today
TOPIC: Look for my article in USA Today
Created by: joeodd2
Original Starting post for this thread:
I wrote a letter in response to an Article in USA today. I had received a response from the editor, and they want to use my letter. Look for Joe from Arlington, TX. in the comment section.
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 14   End
User Details are only visible to members.
That's true.......I need to think about my reputation for next year when I try out for American Idol. I don't think I have anything to worry about in terms of Naked Pics or videos........oh wait.......shit.

Arlington TX

Username hidden
(2284 posts)
well it would seem that my letter had not been published : (

My career as an editorial writer may be at an end......well there's always the New York Times, they'll publish anything.........: )

Arlington TX

Username hidden
(2284 posts)
Define Intolerance? is it not being attracted to Blacks? Is it not liking Black Culture? Is it busting a Black Man on the head with a brick? Is it being against a political position, like Affirmative Action? Where does Intolerance begin and just having a dissenting opinion begin? One of the most thrown around words in the African American community is "Racist". It's thrown around so much yet people never seem to really think about what it really means. It's not a well defined concept anymore. If you are Black father who won't let your daughter date white kids, are you a racist? Are you being Intolerant? Does tolerance mean acceptance or to simply put up with things you don't like? And by "putting up with", does that mean that you can't complain? Intolerance is not a very well defined concept either.

Arlington TX

Username hidden
(2284 posts)
personally I think that racism is a by product of having different cultures. I think that Racism is a small price to pay for diversity in America. You have many people of different cultures who just can't stand other cultures. At the same time more and more people are beginning to love and appreciate different cultures and we are seeing more "mixing" of cultures through marriages and other relationships. But in order to destroy the beast of racism you may have to kill diversity as well. I would rather keep racism limited to small minded old people who can't make big decisions regarding someones future, then try and make everyone the same. JMO.

Arlington TX

Username hidden
(2284 posts)
Blacks continue to be shut out of polling places because of dubious technicalities. Families of color continue to carry a disproportionate share of our country's worst afflictions — from poverty and unemployment to teen pregnancy — at national rates that have consistently remained two to three times that of whites for the past 20 years. Minority youth continue to be isolated, not embraced, by our education system, despite the efforts of No Child Left Behind. And in November, another unarmed black man was killed in a hail of police bullets, just a subway ride from where my daughters go to school. It was a flashback to the bad old days.

This, to me, is what Black History Month is really about — a time to step back and measure our growth as a nation against the work that remains to be done. Certainly, I appreciate honoring noteworthy figures who somehow never made it into my childhood classroom texts (black scientist Charles Henry Turner; 1867-1923; the first to prove that insects can hear). But our children also need to know that America's complicated relationship with race is an unfinished story, and it will one day be up to them to write its ending. That's why, as a parent, I'd rather spend this month — not to mention the 11 around it — making sure that my kids understand that black history is their history, too.

Just like their dad at that movie theater nearly 50 years ago, Bridgette and Audrey live in a country that still struggles to do the right thing. But unlike their father, they were born in a time of progress, a time of hope. We haven't yet reached Martin Luther King's mountaintop in America. But I have to believe that our children may one day take us there.

Bruce Kluger, a member of USA TODAY's board of contributors, is also a contributing editor for Parenting magazine and writes for National Public Radio.

Arlington TX

Username hidden
(2284 posts)
Racism: What do we tell the kids? Posted 2/20/2007 9:00 PM ET By Bruce Kluger

Forty-five years ago this spring, my brothers and I (ages 5, 6, 7 and 9) went to a Saturday afternoon showing of Pinocchio at the Uptown Theater in suburban Baltimore. Our mom had errands to run, so she sent us with our babysitter, Elizabeth.

Outside the theater, we noticed that Elizabeth was engaged in a hushed conversation with the woman in the box office. Apparently, she was having trouble buying our tickets. "But I'm the babysitter," Elizabeth said coolly. "I have to stay with them."

After a bit more whispering, we were admitted to the theater and seated as a group in the glassed-in balcony. My brothers and I had never sat up high before, and we were delighted by it all. What we didn't know was that we had no choice. Elizabeth was black and not permitted in the lower seats.

When I tell my daughters (Audrey, 8, and Bridgette, 11) this story, they look at me wide-eyed, as if I'm concocting some wild fiction. To them, skin color has always been a non-issue, as inconsequential in their personal relationships as hair color, eye color or even the color of a blouse.

Audrey's first "boyfriend" in pre-school was a handsome little man named Mekahel, a black child with an infectious smile and boundless energy. The only time Audrey and Mekahel ever discussed color was over crayons.

Bridgette's godfather Guy, meanwhile, also is black, a trait she finds far less interesting than his computer wizardry or the fact that he was the first person she ever "danced" with — at a wedding, when she was just 4 weeks old.

'The past as the past'

To my daughters and their friends, the days of America's apartheid are sepia-tinted, blurry, a giant chapter of our national story that, once shouted from pulpits in Birmingham and Memphis, has now been compacted for easy listening. Sure, they're taught about Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks maybe once a year in school; and perhaps they'll casually glimpse some boring documentary their parents are watching in the den.

But kids of any generation tend to see the past as the past — and, besides, a new episode of American Idol is on tonight.

So as we celebrate Black History Month, I wonder: What kind of responsibility do we parents have in educating our children about the sad legacy of racism that has run through our nation's life like a persistent electrical current? Do we bequeath that shame to our kids out of a sense of obligation, charging them with the task of carrying the long, hard fight of our troubled heritage into a new era? Or do we quietly give thanks for their blissful naiveté— their lucky late-century birth — and hope that the deeper sense of fairness that is already evident in their new generation may take root in America's future? Do we leave well enough alone?

To be sure, our country is experiencing a transformation that would have been unimaginable half a century ago.

Our last two secretaries of State have been African-American (likewise, both 2007 Super Bowl head coaches); our most talked-about presidential candidate is black; people of color populate executive suites and statehouses across the country in increasing numbers. And the only conversation about race that seems to interest Major League Baseball anymore is the one about the pennant.

Yet just because America's more notorious racial injustices are thankfully behind us — the segregated lunch counters, the unconscionable lynchings, the ignominious Jim Crow laws — thick capillaries of discrimination continue to pulse beneath our national skin. These lingering vestiges of that old-time racism are, in many ways, just as insidious as those we thought we'd thrown off with the great civil rights acts of the '60s, if only because they are more cleverly cloaked from view.

Today's stains of racism

Arlington TX

Username hidden
(2284 posts)
Joe,

Your insight and letter to the editor I feel is very profound. I liked it very much. Do you have the original column to which you responded to, or the date it appeared in a USA Today? That would clarify why you wrote your letter. If we could read both the original column and then your response, it would be appreciated.

Minden NV

Username hidden
(4041 posts)
Ying Yang we can finally find some common ground on an issue........(just checking the sky and it's not falling yet...)It's a shame that we don't celebrate our political diversity more within the Black Community. Chris Rock had drew some heat for his stand up routine, especially the shtick about wishing he could join the Klu Klux Clan because he "hated Niggaz". He was highlighting the differences within the African American culture. You have people who inherit a work ethic and you have people who inherit welfare checks. You have women who believe that a good education will help them take care of themselves and you have women who believe that a tighter dress will attract a man to take care of them. The contradictions go on and on, but out "Leaders" seem to only want to focus on "Racism" because it's simple and easy to rally around. It really gets trick for them, when the subject of "personal responsibility" creeps up. They think that we don't want to hear about being accountable for our own lives. They don't want to loose popularity with the black community. They are more worried about impressions than they are about telling people what they need to hear. There used to be a day , if a black teenager cursed out their parent, then the parent would be on the news for murder. Nowadays they go on Dr. Phil and cry like bitches while they play tapes of their kids cursing them out. We used to be respected even by whites for our child rearing, now we have become as weak as the white parents we used to tease. Our women are loosing their self respect and encouraging men to shed their intelligence and self respect by endorsing "entertainers" who teach kids to call women "ho's" and "bitches". IMO Women could put the brakes on all of this bullshit by demanding that men treat them with respect and show some class. I think Stronger women can turn this thing around for us. Women have always been the driving force within the African American community, often the brains of the household when it came to dealing with problems. Now Women have begun to depend on "Men" who never learned how to grow into Men. It's a sad state of affairs but we need to understand the racism will be with us until this world stops spinning. Humans will not stop being humans, so we can't afford to wait for the "Level Playing Field" which we may never see. I'm not saying that we don't continue to fight for equality, but it's time to fight for "Accountability" with equal if not greater fervor.

Arlington TX

Username hidden
(2284 posts)
having not read the original article i cannot comment on your response although it was well-written.

i think "bill cosby" is an odd choice for a leader in light of his admitted indescretions with woman... just a thought

Philadelphia PA

Username hidden
(5326 posts)
Nice and well written. And on a political note I agree.

Saint Louis MO

Username hidden
(12439 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2
 1 to 10 of 14   End
TOPIC: Look for my article in USA Today