It seems FEMA is partial to natural disasters : Swingers Discussion 223489
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsIt seems FEMA is partial to natural disasters
TOPIC: It seems FEMA is partial to natural disasters
Created by: outdoorsWNC
Original Starting post for this thread:
The Federal Emergency Management Agency is refusing to provide additional money to help rebuild the small Texas town where a deadly fertilizer plant explosion leveled numerous homes and a school, and killed 15 people.

According to a letter obtained by The Associated Press, FEMA said it reviewed the state's appeal to help but decided that the explosion "is not of the severity and magnitude that warrants a major disaster declaration."

FEMA already has provided millions of dollars in aid to the town of West and its residents, but the decision prevents them from getting some of the widespread assistance typically available to victims of tornadoes, hurricanes and other natural disasters.

The decision likely means less money to pay for public repairs to roads, sewer lines, pipes and a school that was destroyed.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 22   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Va:

I don't really care why it happened. The owners chose to store enough explosive material in a place near to a town, they chose to allow homes to be built within the blast radius of the factory and the materials there in.

If you notice, I do not call for heads to roll on the case of that jet fuel explosion that happened in the middle of the desert some two years ago. (The factory that made fuel for NASA's rockets.)

Why? Because that factory was built away from people, they knew it was dangerious and that accidents happen. I understand that these chemicals come with risk, and we don't have such accidents very often as so to demand EPA oversight without being called in by the workers.

This facility ought never have been located where it was. Not if it stored the amount of chemicals it did and because it stored these chemicals in such quanta ties and without oversight, the burden of responsibility ought be placed squarely on the shoulders of everyone who profited from it.

So the real question that must be asked is, do you want big government to bail you out? If yes, then you must accept government oversight and regulations, violations ought be hash like the wrath of Old Testament gods.

If you do not want big governement, then hold the individuals who profit totally accountable. It doesn't matter if it was preventable or not.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7703 posts)
Robert,

If this accident was the result of negligence on the part of the management, I'll agree with you. But they don't know that yet.

Watch the video. Seriously. It's only 6 minutes long.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20241 posts)
As for FEMA not helping the TX town? What was it that the conservatives said about the east coat problems? About defunding the government? About their demands for smaller government?

Consider this a taste of what smaller government looks like. Live of die on your own.

Want help? Find the owners, investors, walstreet investors, managers, foremen, ect... And ask them for help.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7703 posts)
If I fail to maintain my car and the wheel pops off and causes an accident... I am held accountable.

If my dog which I keep locked in my yard gets loose or the kids next door opens my gate and my dog gets loose, I am held accountable.

If the fuel my parents store for their snowblower, lawn mower causes a fire or contributes to a fire and death or the death if others, my parents are held accountable.

So I ask, why on earth aren't we doing the same to every manager, foreman, and owner of that factory? Take the lot, put them before a court of law and if they are convicted, send them to jail/executioners block.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7703 posts)
The CSB produced a fascinating (well, I think it's fascinating) video of the BP Texas City explosion in Texas, which detailed the events leading up to the disaster.

This case study (and also the infamous Piper Alpha disaster) are excellent examples about how a series of relatively minor problems can escalate into a catastrophe.

w ww.youtube.c om/watch?v=VCcN4SQkb9A

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20241 posts)
Thanks for letting me off the hook, I thought I blew a valve in my head and went Full Retard... I'd just hate myself if I went full retard..

San Antonio TX
Username hidden
(8085 posts)
LOL no. You're way better than that.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20241 posts)
Was it me, I don't recall it, if I did!?

San Antonio TX
Username hidden
(8085 posts)
At the risk of antagonizing a sleeping (or muzzled) dog...

Didn't someone on here know the night that it happened that it was white Republicans that did it?

Forgive me. :)

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20241 posts)
It will have little to do with Texas. This I am sure is being investigated by the CSB (Chemical Safety Board). Strictly speaking, they are independent, but in practice they answer to the EPA, Dept of Labor, etc.

I know this probably means little, and I'm definitely not making excuses for the plant owners/managers/whoever, but I'm telling you that from my own years of personal experience of working at chemical plants, these sort of violations are routine and largely are very minor.

As for the quantity of the chemical on site.....

It wasn't that they had too much, per se. They had what is known as a "reportable quantity" of the material. Meaning that the EPA (and sometimes State regulators) need to know if you have a material above a certain threshold on site. They may then require you to report on the nature of the storage, security, etc, and allow inspection.

Without knowing how they stored the ammonium nitrate, I can't say whether or not it was stored safely (or safely enough in the opinion of regulatory authorities). What I can say is that if they had sent in a piece of paper to the EPA saying "We have this much ammonium nitrate", this would not necessarily have changed anything with respect to the danger.

I certainly want answers too. It will likely be some time before the CSB is finished with their investigation. Those guys are good. I want to know what really happened.

Winter Garden FL
Username hidden
(20241 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3
 1 to 10 of 22   End
TOPIC: It seems FEMA is partial to natural disasters