Israel Palestinian conflict : Swingers Discussion 200102101051
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsIsrael Palestinian conflict
TOPIC: Israel Palestinian conflict
GoTo Page: Less ... 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... More 
Start   1051 to 1060 of 1367   End
User Details are only visible to members.
On Aug. 26, Iran will assume, for the next three years, the Chair of the Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) at a summit in Tehran.

None other than Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad will preside.

Founded five decades ago at the height of the Cold War with a markedly anti-Western tilt, NAM today has 120 member countries and 17 observer states. It includes nearly two-thirds of the UN's member states, including many African, Asian, and Latin American nations.

As NAM has no permanent secretariat, responsibility for its activities rests with the Chair. Iran, seeing a unique chance for itself, is going flat-out.

Kourosh Ziabari, winner of the "Iranian Superior Youth Award" presented by Ahmadinejad, tellingly wrote last month:

While the United States, Israel and their European allies are pulling out all the stops to isolate Iran over its nuclear program, the upcoming meeting of the heads of state of the Non-Aligned Movement in Tehran seems to be throwing a spanner in their works... NAM has the capability of effectively influencing global events. Its members can assist one another in diplomatic lobbying, selecting the non-permanent members of the Security Council and making decisions in the UN Human Rights Council... The upcoming NAM summit in Tehran is an invaluable opportunity for Iran to show its diplomatic prowess and demonstrate that it's impossible for bullying powers and their stooges to isolate it. The event will unquestionably testify that Iran has not become the lonely and friendless country that the United States and its lackeys paint it.

It's well worth asking how in this day and age a global organization can evolve that allows Iran to represent it.

But the more immediate question is what happens next, most specifically in Tehran later this month and beyond.

For Iran, it is vital that as many top leaders as possible from NAM countries show up in Tehran.

In Iranian eyes, this would confer the legitimacy, support and photo ops the country craves. Iranian officials have been fanning out all over the world, using both "carrots" and "sticks" at their disposal, to promote attendance.

Will they succeed?

And if so, at what level -- president, foreign minister, mid-level official, or entry-level bureaucrat?

Right now, Iran's news agency, FNA, not the world's most reliable source, is trumpeting that 30 (of 120) heads of state -- and the UN secretary-general -- are planning to be in Tehran, with many more expected.

Will those who do come allow themselves to be caught on camera smiling, embracing and chitchatting with Ahmadinejad and his cohorts?

What will they say when asked by the regime's journalistic flacks about Iran's policies?

Or, apart from such stalwart friends as Cuba, Syria, Venezuela and Zimbabwe, will countries largely stay away, realizing the trap that's been set for them?

After all, if they go, they will be hard-pressed to explain a few things.

It won't cut it to invoke such self-justifying phrases as "We had no choice as NAM members," or "Don't read anything into our presence there," or, "I spoke up behind closed doors," or "The photo of me hugging Ahmadinejad is meaningless because privately I detest him."

Like it or not, those who go to Tehran for this summit -- and then allow Iran to speak in their name for the next three years, as it will surely seek to do at the UN and elsewhere -- are emboldening the regime.

(End of part 1)

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16378 posts)
I had an interesting exchange with another client today that I originally thought to start a thread on, but on second thought it seems more appropriate here.

As I was leaving after replacing a particularly difficult door (the entire room was silk paneled walls and the door system was installed BEFORE the panels...yay) she said "Your work is exceptional, too many people do such shoddy work, there's no skill anymore. This country is losing it's skills" To which I said "Fair warning, let's not talk politics unless you are prepared for a debate."

Then she got really interesting: Oh? Well if it's politics you want maybe we should discuss something with more meat?"

Let me prface this with a little description of this person;

Scarsdale NY home of 5000 sf (that's a lot there) worth maybe $5 million or so. One of 4 homes, her original home being South Africa. London and Israel (her husbands original home) are where her other homes are. Her husband is a really big shot international corporate attorney. She tells me she is a 'conservative progressive' to coin a phase (so much for the theory that all wealthy corporate types are conservative republikans). In her 60's and obviously Jewish (reformed). VERY wealthy. Why people like this seem eager to talk about weighty things with me is fascinating, but I digress...

So I throw out the gauntlet...

Israel. Romney. Iran. I WAS walking out the door and my crew was waiting for me in the truck....

THEN she says something that pretty much floored me: "If Israel wants to attack another country, ANY country, why do they expect any of their allies to go along with that? Defend from an attack? Of course! Support them in a unilateral attack on ANY other country? Sure, go right ahead, just don't expect any help from anyone else with that!"

I told her that I was surprised at her attitude considering her heritage and position in society. She says "Look, I have citizenship in 4 countries. I spend my time associating with lots of different people all over the world, not just here in this provincial backwater, the US. The ONLY people who want Israel to attack Iran are the hyper conservative war hawk types in the US and in Israel. The rest of the people I talk to in other parts of the world are pretty much appalled at the way Israel's tail can wag the US dog."

I can tell you I wanted to stay and talk, but her driver was waiting to bring her to the airport and my crew wanted to go home after a particularly difficult day. I love to talk politics with my clients. I LEARN so fukin much about people....

East Fishkill NY
Username hidden
(3487 posts)
Ready to eat crowe?

No answer for TB's post of that quote?

Phoenix AZ
Username hidden
(2095 posts)
JERUSALEM -- Israel has upgraded its top-tier Arrow II missile defense, a Defense Ministry official confirmed Sunday, as the country girds for possible attacks from Iran and Syria.

Sensors, command and control equipment and radar have been enhanced to improve reach and accuracy, the official confirmed without elaborating. He would not say how many Arrow II batteries are deployed around the country and spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the military's preparations.

Israel has developed a network of air defense systems to parry various threats it sees from its enemies, including the Arrow, a joint project with the Boeing Co. in the U.S. that is designed to shoot down incoming missiles launched as far away as Iran.

Separately, the Haaretz newspaper reported on Sunday that the Arrow has been configured to take down not only long-range missiles but projectiles fired from closer range, such as neighboring Syria or Lebanon. On Saturday, Iran claimed it successfully test-fired an upgraded version of a ballistic missile with such a range that it said could strike with pin-point precision.

Israel regards Iran as its main enemy and suspects Tehran is building nuclear weapons despite its denials. Last week, in a public appearance in Jerusalem with U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned that time was quickly running out to stop Iran from achieving nuclear capability.

Israel is also rattled by Iran's arsenal of missiles capable of striking the Jewish state, its frequent talk of Israel's annihilation, and its alliances with anti-Israel militants in the Gaza Strip and Lebanon, who control tens of thousands of rockets.

A former director of the Arrow program, Uzi Rubin, told Army Radio on Sunday that the system could handle any missile coming from Iran.

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16378 posts)
Whoa.... TB... Not fair... Using real quotes from ppl in the know. What do they REALLY know? I mean, those words don't comply with the posters in this forum. And not from the periodicals they chose to believe.

Phoenix AZ
Username hidden
(2095 posts)
He's an idiot, he said that when he met Panetta and the world was watching ;)

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16378 posts)
"The relationship between Israel and America in the security field is stronger and tighter than ever."

Ehud Barak, Israeli Defense Minister, August 1, 2012

Lakeside CA
Username hidden
(17345 posts)
This ladies and gentlemen is what people that identify as progressives is all about:

.israpundit.c om/archives/48079#comments

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16378 posts)
The Wordl will rejoice when God shows his Eternal Flush hand.

Treasure Is FL
Username hidden
(6778 posts)
I love how Panetta was catapulted to Israel right after Romney's visit, and the tightening of Iranian sanctions, I'd say Barry is worried, particularly after Adelson pledged $100MM to Romney's campaign ;).

Allenhurst NJ
Username hidden
(16378 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... More 
Start   1051 to 1060 of 1367   End
TOPIC: Israel Palestinian conflict