Is the regular Joe better off : Swingers Discussion 899851071
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsIs the regular Joe better off
TOPIC: Is the regular Joe better off
GoTo Page: Less ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... More 
Start   71 to 80 of 179   End
User Details are only visible to members.
I can't argue with that too much.

However, the undocumented immigrant problem is shared by both parties. The Dems want to be inclusive and the Repubs want cheap labor.

I agree with Thom Hartmann, we don't have an illegal immigrant problem, we have an illegal employment problem. Until we do something about the demand side, the supply side will continue to be a problem.

IMHO, we need to continue border enforcement. However, we also need to have some serious employment enforcement. Social Security verification, large fines, zero tolerance.

And increased worker protection. One of the reasons this happens is because undocumented workers don't go to the authorities for workplace violations. So employers feel free to break the laws regarding safety. Then if the low wage documented workers complain, they will be replaced by undocumenteds.

And the wheel goes round and round.

Lakeside CA
Username hidden
(17349 posts)
here's is a little history of the income tax in america.

The federal government of the United States imposes a progressive tax on the taxable income of individuals, corporations, trusts, decedents' estates, and certain bankruptcy estates. Some state and municipal governments also impose income taxes. The first Federal income tax was imposed (under Article I, section 8, clause 1 of the U.S. Constitution) during the Civil War, then again in the 1890s, and again after the Sixteenth Amendment was ratified in 1913. Current income taxes are imposed under these constitutional provisions and various sections of Subtitle A of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, including 26 U.S.C. § 1 (imposing income tax on the taxable income of individuals, estates and trusts) and 26 U.S.C. § 11 (imposing income tax on the taxable income of corporations).

Lake Worth FL
Username hidden
(7207 posts)
AMEN, Scotty!

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
There was a time and we should get back to it, that the average person didn't pay taxes. Taxes were only on the very wealthy. And most of the federal income came from tariffs on trade.

Is there a need for taxes... yes. With you derive equal benefits for dollar paid NO. Are we taxed to much... without a doubt.

Just an article in the journal today about hospitals in AZ. THe US taxpayer paid AZ hospitals 92 million dollars for care to illegal aliens ( i refuse to use the word immigrant, imho that implys someone doing something lawfully). 92 million dollars for one state to care for illegals. Now if i'm going to be taxed and my money spent... i want that 92 million dollars to go to americans not illegals.

Lake Worth FL
Username hidden
(7207 posts)
I agree some taxation needs to provide infrastructure, a military and normal federal functions. What pisses me off are the things the government does that are not a federal function and 1/2 the budget is that now or more.

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
Scotty - you agree with e r: No mercy killing required.

I, wholeheartedly, agree with tbr - he's right on message.

You see, strange things can happen in the Political Forum.

I may advocate lower taxes, but there is a critical need for taxation and I "ditto" what tbr said in his recent post. So, no need to repeat it.

Fairfield CA
Username hidden
(575 posts)
I wasn't going to touch this one, but I'm on cold medicine, so I'm slightly more out of my mind.

"Taxation is theft."

Taxation is your cost of living in this society. If you don't like it, there are plenty of other countries where the tax rates are lower. Rwanda, Anyone?

"I don't know anyone who gets worth returned proportional to the amount of taxes they pay, even people without taxable income."

I don't know very many people who get their money out of car insurance, health insurance, life insurance, and lots and lots of other things.

"Everybody pays taxes on the food they eat, the clothes they wear, the property they buy, the gas they use. If someone in this forum believes they get their money's worth out of the taxes they pay, I wish that person would step up and explain how so. Especially with the income tax. That money goes to a big pie fund that lobbyist fight over, and the common man receives little benefit from it."

OK. Your first error is the expectation that you will receive more in benefits than you pay in. Life doesn't work that way. Your second error is that you seem to only include things for today. A short list of what your taxes pay for:

Your house does not fall down around you. Building codes and enforcement paid by your tax dollars.

You do not usually question the safety of your food. Food inspection an regulation paid by your tax dollars.

Roads. I can go places in hours that would take days without our road system. Paid for by your tax dollars.

You are not speaking British English, Spanish, German, or Japanese. Paid for by your tax dollars.

You have a reasonable expectation of safety from others. Police and fire paid for by your tax dollars.

You can petition a court for redress of grievances. Court system paid for by your tax dollars.

That's probably enough for now. But I could go on all day.

Lakeside CA
Username hidden
(17349 posts)
oh god... someone shoot me. I agree with er. it would be a mercey killing. Just do it.

Lake Worth FL
Username hidden
(7207 posts)
Pete,

There is nothing wrong with "tax harvesting" a portfolio. THere is no capital gain due on a stock until it's sold. If you're an accountant and don't know that Remind me not to hire you.

Here's how "tax harvesting' works

you own IBM that is currently down.

you also on MSFT which is up. you sell part of MSFT which will generate capital gains. you offset part of those capital gains with the sale of IBM. You take the proceeds from the sale of IBM and buy ETFs incase the market rallies toward the end of the year. You sell off the ETFs and buy back IBM.

There is nothing criminal about that.. it's just smart business. Why shouldn't someone offset capital gains. As an accountant i'm sure you've heard the quote by Ben Franklin?

"it is the RIGHT of every taxpayer to pay the least amount of taxes possible".

notice the word RIGHT.

Lake Worth FL
Username hidden
(7207 posts)
And people shouldn't have to carry a personal accountant around with them, talk business at every meal, keep receipts for everything, or find other ways to violate the spirit of tax laws just to save on their annual tax bills. This is not in keeping with the idea that humans have the right to pursue life, liberty, and happiness. It only makes us full time employees of the government. And it's not a realistic solution for the common folk. Most people are struggling to make ends meet with their meager paychecks right now; they ought not have to battle their own governments just to keep their hard earned cash.

Goose Creek SC
Username hidden
(1690 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... More 
Start   71 to 80 of 179   End
TOPIC: Is the regular Joe better off