Is the Pledge a prayer : Swingers Discussion 2097471061
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsIs the Pledge a prayer
TOPIC: Is the Pledge a prayer
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Start   61 to 64 of 64 
User Details are only visible to members.
Pledging to support one's country, symbolized in the presence of a flag, is a promissory commitment to one's civic representative duty. Adding reference to 'god' makes it an appeal to a divine being, making it a prayer.

Whatever the name or title or location of that 'god' prayed to is a mystery unless an entire document of representation by that deity is presented.

Religion in America has evolved beyond that of a community of trust about an atavistic belief that has become the basis of many denominations, all of whom have different interpretations and theological claims about their religion and deity. Many of those denominations have become as interested in the politics of their 'faith' than demonstrating the reality and supremacy of their 'deity.'

I would never pray to the god of Mormonism, and would reject prayer to god that included the crazy false claims of the Book of Mormon. The insane claims of Mormonism should be kept out of American politics entirely. Since today's pledge of allegiance includes any concept of 'god' it has been construed into a political/religious amalgam of pretentious supremacy.

NASA could be god. It has given America a view of our galaxy that shows a deep space not explained in any way by any world relilgion. I want a relgion that demonstrates the reality of a divine being, or no religion at all.

Treasure Is FL
Username hidden
(6780 posts)
More much ado about nothing. Just skip the words "under God". I know plenty of people who do.

Chesapeake VA
Username hidden
(18765 posts)
This is a hard thing to answer directly. Can one phrase make an entire statement mean something totally different? Can one word addressed to a nameless being corrupt the entire idea of freedom of religion?

Personally I find it to be a double prayer, one to the nation and one asking God (any god) to help protect the nation.

The pledge with under god is the newest version of the pledge which was written in 1892. (the newest version being rewritten in 1954)

Given the time period and our enemy at the time (communism) and how religious we are (where) at the time, the addition of under god could be considered an attempt to steer the nation away from any similarities of communism.

In my view, this over reaction has now back fired upon those who installed this rewrite as more and more people across the US are refusing to say the pledge out of a single phrase.

Simple fix? Remove the words "under god" and now it is a prayer to big government only.

Personally I do not like the fact that in court we must pray to a Christian god when we are sworn in, or how our elected officals often must use a bible to be sworn in. As if a being that ignored the events of WWII and didn't send its army of immortal angles to descend upon the beeches of Normandy... Is even going to care that we lie to it. (After all, we rape, pillage and all around break every one of those 10 commandments daily... or at the very least a number of them daily.)

But sadly the religious right would have a fit if we actually had a real separation of church and state.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7245 posts)
A Pennsylvania lawmaker is coming under fire after refusing to say the Pledge of Allegiance at a recent house committee meeting.

Democratic Rep. Babette Josephs said the words "under God" in the Pledge make it a prayer, and she refused to say it.

When Republican Chairman Darryl Metcalfe, who represents Butler, asked Josephs to lead the pledge, she refused.

As everyone was standing to say the pledge, Josephs said, "Based on my First Amendment rights and based on the fact that I really think it's a prayer, I don't pray in public."

After the incident, Metcalfe told reporters, "I think it is shocking that any elected official would not pledge allegiance to the flag. It's a person's right to not say the pledge, but I don't believe anybody should be in elected office that holds that position, and I think a majority of Americans wouldn't elect somebody if they held that position."

Josephs, who represents the Philadelphia area, is retiring in a few days.

So is it a prayer in your opinions?

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(2640 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Start   61 to 64 of 64 
TOPIC: Is the Pledge a prayer