Is the Pledge a prayer : Swingers Discussion 2097471031
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsIs the Pledge a prayer
TOPIC: Is the Pledge a prayer
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Start   31 to 40 of 64   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Reading these forums is depressing. You all are the reason this country is in the toilet, and you're all too fucking stupid to realize it.

Pittsburgh PA
Username hidden
(16713 posts)
A flag might be an inanimate object, but the republic for which it stands is quite animated. Especially during election season.

Belle Chasse LA
Username hidden
(10769 posts)
Never thought of it that way, but pledging allegiance to a flag does seem to be pretty goofy. But hey, there's people out there who believe a book that was written 2000 years ago about a guy who turned water into wine and another guy who actually parted the sea. So I guess talking to a flag for 10 seconds may actually be a step in the right direction.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3199 posts)
A pledge and a prayer are not the same thing.

It seems silly bordering on the absurd to pledge allegiance to an inanimate object.

No country that proudly proclaims itself "sweet land of liberty" should ever require its ordinary citizens to take an oath or allegiance.

I am okay with requiring elected officials and military members take an oath to the U.S. Constitution.

Amherst Canada
Username hidden
(2362 posts)
It's not a prayer. And on the rare occasion that I find myself saying the Pledge, I simply skip the "under god" part. When in the military I always asked the officer administering my oath to exclude "so help me god."

That said, I fully support having the phrase completely eliminated from the Pledge of Allegiance and returning it to its original form.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3199 posts)
Joan:

My problem personally is that such words are involved at all. Then we as a nation use the bible ti swear in at court hearings or when taking positions of power.

Nothing that our government is involved in, should be asking god for anything... Let alone using the fear of god to prevent people from lying. (such as being sworn in at court)

This only serves to reinforce the idea that we are not a multi religion nation but a nation backing a single religion.

Instead of swearing in on a bible, we should swear in on a copy of the constitution or some such... And instead of using god, using terminology where it is a treasonious act to the country to lie under oath.

Government and human justice is a human matter, leave religion to be confined to the church and home ONLY.

That means no school events, or other government funded programs.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7251 posts)
Outdoors:

Look up coal miners rebellion. The US government had to step in and put an end to miners being paid in company money only good in company stores, worth only what the company said it was worth... To say nothing about company police throwing thr greaving families who lost loved ones in mining accidents into the cold street the day of or after.

there were many more abuses which lead miners to start armed rebellions... Which had the miners and coal cops shooting each other, raiding camps, ect...

All thanks to the robber Barron's.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7251 posts)
"... we almost had a second civil war just before the first world war..."

Is this true?

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
ONLY for you folks who believe in God my friend, as for me I don't believe, so how could be anything other than a oath and a pledge. And if the words Under God bother you so much just dont use those 2 words, it was writen with out them first. Jim

Keller TX
Username hidden
(555 posts)
Joan:

Remove under god and be becomes a prayer to big government only. Currently it is a prayer to big government under god.

Think about it, what is a prayer? Nothing more than a deceleration of loyalty. There for any statements of loyalty could be considered to be a prayer.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7251 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Start   31 to 40 of 64   End
TOPIC: Is the Pledge a prayer