Is man capable of selfless acts of altruism : Swingers Discussion 775151091
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsIs man capable of selfless acts of altruism
TOPIC: Is man capable of selfless acts of altruism
GoTo Page: Less ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Start   91 to 100 of 114   End
User Details are only visible to members.
All this justification of selfishness being inherent and the dominant human trait makes me wonder what life would be like if everyone just gave into it. I mean, it's human right? Why not fully embrace selfishness and just become apathetic towards any and everyone that is not in your immediate inner circle of friends and family? Fuck the world, so to speak ... bellum omnium contra omnes.

I really don't see how a world like that -- one dominated by selfish people -- could be good.

Goose Creek SC
Username hidden
(1690 posts)
Objektivists would argue that selfishness is a good thing.

(no that's not a spelling error, I lost the letter after "B" on my komputer)

Palm Beach Gardens FL
Username hidden
(1095 posts)
Very good points, Angel. The human species would have never survived had it been innately selfless. A species has to be selfish to survive...and be on top of the food chain.

Mountain Ranch CA
Username hidden
(8696 posts)
"But people perform acts of drudgery all the time. "

Like what? Every act of drudgery I have ....does have a benefit tied to it.

Mountain Ranch CA
Username hidden
(8696 posts)
"The Patient" by TOOL comes to mind. "If there was no reward to gain, I certainly would have walked away". We are human. No need to be ashamed of that selfish aspect of ourselves. Life would be no fun if we were robots. Free Will requires a selfishness in order for us to rise above ourselves during our "Golden Moments". Why continue to "look the gift horse in the mouth"? I mean look at where we are posting for crying out loud? This lifestyle isn't about necessity it's about personal pleasure. It's doesn't mean that we are "bad" human beings because we think about reward or get a gratifying feeling concerning our good deeds. Humans will be Human, and when I die I would love to be Human again.

Arlington TX
Username hidden
(2284 posts)
I guess I don't look at it as bleak. People are innately weak in a number of ways and someone that would be selfless is a much stronger person in some aspects. Is THAT strength better? Not necessarily. Just different. Whether its from their genetics or their hard knocks in life or terrible childhood or great childhood....whatever the case... some people are able and some people are not able to be selfless. One has evolved to the point of discounting himself and being selfless.... others haven't made it there yet. Eventually maybe they will....eventually maybe they won't. Everyone has their own tasks, their own quests and luckily there are people that are selfless, however, due to timing or background and teaching I don't look on people that aren't selfless any less important in society. They may bring other special skills to the table than selflessness.

Mountain Ranch CA
Username hidden
(8696 posts)
The problem with the psychological egoism perspective is that it is justified with circular logic. "If a person willingly performs an act, that means he expects to derive personal gain/enjoyment from it; therefore, people only perform acts that give them personal gain/enjoyment".

But people perform acts of drudgery all the time.

Goose Creek SC
Username hidden
(1690 posts)
That's a pretty bleak perspective ya got there Simba. Wish I could say you were wrong ...

Goose Creek SC
Username hidden
(1690 posts)
ER.... I don't think most people in those positions of doctors, nurses etc... are selfless. I have seen a lot of selfish doctors. LOL! I think if there were more unselfish motivations we would have waiting lines for doctors to go to foreign countries and treat people that have no money no means. Sure....there are plenty of doctors that do ,but not nearly enough compared to how many there are in the world. People like to think they are selfless but when push comes to shove.... usually money or the instinct for self survival wins in the end (two things selflessness must overcome).

Mountain Ranch CA
Username hidden
(8696 posts)
Admittedly, sacrificing oneself for another is the ultimate act of altruism, but it's hardly the metric of man's capability of selflessness.

The question is whether or not man in general is capable of random acts of kindness, love, compassion, etc. without the desire for personal gain biasing him.

Goose Creek SC
Username hidden
(1690 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Start   91 to 100 of 114   End
TOPIC: Is man capable of selfless acts of altruism