Is man capable of selfless acts of altruism : Swingers Discussion 7751510111
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsIs man capable of selfless acts of altruism
TOPIC: Is man capable of selfless acts of altruism
GoTo Page: Less ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Start   111 to 114 of 114 
User Details are only visible to members.
"... but many times what seemingly is a selfless act has a root in selfishness."

So Simba would you conclude then that it is in general human nature for man to be selfish?

You mentioned also that most often when you've demonstrated selfless acts that it was primarily for personal loved ones. But even then some of those instances could be subscribed to selfishness. It sounds like you subscribe the the worldview of psychological egoists...

Goose Creek SC
Username hidden
(1690 posts)
"I find the "selfless acts" that libs like to engage in almost always require other peoples money.... "

I can't think of many things that require money that are truly selfless....usually there is another motivation involved.

Mountain Ranch CA
Username hidden
(8696 posts)
I believe man is capable of selfless acts, but many times what seemingly is a selfless act has a root in selfishness. Even to do something for someone because you receive a good feeling from it....is selfish. You enjoy the good feeling...it's the reward. You do something because you know you will feel good about it... even though that stems from a great heart, has a lace of selfishness in it. I had to think a long time as to whether I have actually done things that were 100% selfless..... the answer is yes, but they were only with loved ones. At initial glance, I would think that the teacher that held the door shut for the students to climb out the window ....sacrificing his life in the meantime would be a selfless act. I can't see any selfish motivations there....except maybe to keep himself alive too....thats a fine line.

Mountain Ranch CA
Username hidden
(8696 posts)
I've lately been re-visiting my Thomas Hobbes and John Locke, re-reading Leviathan and rediscovering the philosophies for and against the social contract that humankind has established and is the basis for government.

One question that has come to mind is in regards to psychological egoism (or the study that man is motivated only by self-interest) is whether or not you all believe that man is capable of selfless acts of altruism.

Do you believe that all men are motivated only by selfishness? I mean, I'm sure we'd all agree that men are capable of good deeds, that is not the question. The question is whether the man that comitts the good deed is capable of doing so strictly out of the goodness of his heart, or whether he intends to always be rewarded in some way for it, whether that reward be something big (wealth, prestige) or small (such as pride in himself for having done good).

I think even the neocons here would admit that a soldier is capable of throwing himself on a grenade in order to save his comrades. Is it an act of selfless altruism or is it motivated by rational self-interest?

I *am* going somewhere with this....

Goose Creek SC
Username hidden
(1690 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Start   111 to 114 of 114 
TOPIC: Is man capable of selfless acts of altruism