Increased Minimum Wage : Swingers Discussion 83103
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsIncreased Minimum Wage
TOPIC: Increased Minimum Wage
Created by: dzzyred
Original Starting post for this thread:
Well the first new increase goes into play on tuesday raising the federal minimum wage from 5.15 to 5.85. Minimum wage workers will get an additional 70-cent boost each summer for the next two years, ending in 2009 at $7.25 an hour. That comes to just above $15,000 yearly before taxes for a 52-week work year.

my thoughts are that this is a good thing athough it probably won't have much effect for the employee or employer despite the complaints from small business owners. opposing views?

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5
 1 to 10 of 46   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Yep, good idea...wonder where he is anyway???

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
JMN - I going to make this simple: I have always been able to reconcile differences with people who do not agree with me. You are an exception. You don't understand it because you do not relate to individuals willing to take the risk of opening a business - and we're not talking about an AMWAY distribution. It is the small business entrepreneur who is willing to take a chance at hiring unskilled labor. It is the entrepreneur who takes care of his own family and adopts those of his employees. It is the small business owners who will take the fall because they have to close their business; thus unemploying everyone - including themselves. You see, you just don't get it...and it's sad. So my comments to you will now cease.

Fairfield CA
Username hidden
(575 posts)
saying a minimum wage increase helps the worker is a lie and all the libs are doing is "buying" poor votes. They know it, we know it and the poor know it. Pandering, plain and simple!

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
the minimum wage increase is a joke We pay 9 to11 at a fast food joint for a guy to mop the floors and take out the trash.

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
My argument about the minimum wage increase is about the additional payroll costs that are associated and mandated by the government. You see, it is simple to agree a need for increased pay. What is not taken into account are all the other increased cost: workers' compensation, payroll taxes, other business employee related insurance etc... All this has a MATERIAL impact on the small business owners. Anyone in business can attest to this. Business owners are in business to beat the competitors with its product or service. It is also in competition to attract the best candidates; if the competitor does better...oh well.

With respects to restaurant workers: in California, the minimum wage they earn is mandated by the state not the federal because it is higher here. Beginning January 2008 the minimum wage goes to $8.00/hour plus tips if you're in the tipping type industry.

Fairfield CA
Username hidden
(575 posts)
boycott hersheys and buy another American brand!

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
No we didn't blame republican but Destin is correct. She blamed the Canadian and the French. The Canadians because they (if I remember correctly) are used to the tip being included in the bill. However, even after educating them that the tip was not included.....the Canadian were still low tippers and the French....just low tipping assholes in her opinion.

There are only two reasons I can think of for companies to move their operations to any country and they both involve money. The either get cheaper labor, lower taxes from the host country or both. Now that being said and since companies are moving their operations to other countries now running on about 20 years I don't personally believe the minimum wage increase of August 2007 has much of a bearing if at all. For one manufacturing workers union or nonunion don't typically work for minimum wage. In fact most industry workers work "piece work". As their production (personally) increases toward a "standard quantity" established by the manufacturer their hourly rate goes up. For example, the wife again, worked for Levi Strauss many many years ago. They had a standard # of bundles that they thought a person sewing should be able to sew. During training they do not expect the "standard quantity" to be met but as your expertise increases toward that standard you make more money. The key to higher pay was sewing speed. Some people although good employees cannot sew fast or at least as fast as they want. That person's job might only be sewing the crouch but Levi expected a trained person to be able to sew so many bundles of pants for say the crouch sewing.

St Petersburg FL
Username hidden
(989 posts)
no jnm, she complained about jerk customers and bad tippers...you know, people just like you. LOL well at least unless you had gotten illegal contributions from a crook.

Destin FL
Username hidden
(14562 posts)
Lucky

I assume maybe incorrectly that you are anti-union based on your willingness to blame all unions for economic problems. That just seems to go the way you post.

I was not implying that there were not other reasons other than wages that you lost 2 employees. There are certainly other factors that go into consideration such as poor work, attitude, etc. All businesses have that problem.

I would likely not have a contrary post to your's if you sited an article that "specifically" blames an increase in minimum wage a "the" reason for layoffs, cutbacks etc. However, to date, you have not. You have quoted 2 articles of late (Walmart & now UAW) blaming minimum wage increases when the articles mentioned nothing about minimum wage as a cause but other factors.

It further seems contrary to months ago stating you (not necessarily you per sae) know no one that earns minimum wage or stating that no one except teenages earn minimum wage and then blame every economic woe on such an increase.

Someone earlier mentioned restaurant workers....they are exempt from minimum wage. Waiters and waitresses generally make about 2.35 an hour and get the rest of their money from tips which the employer reports. The tips generally reported by these employers are generally a % of sales as that is the "safe harbor" reporting for these employers so they do not have to keep track of all tips to the dollar. If you are a waiter working in a business where tips are not that great (let's say undertipping patrons - my wife did) you as the worker may end up having to claim more income than you actually collected in tips while good tipping environments the employee generally will have less income reported than they actually collected.

Example. My wife worked as a bartender years ago. She worked at a small restaurant bar where the tips were very bad. She blamed it on tourist Canadians and French who did not tip. Her W-2 indicated that she had more in tips than she actually collected because her employer reported that her tips were 10% of her sales. Was not the case. My son in his college days worked at Applebees, 10% of sales was reported on his W-2 as tips and he probably did a little better than that.

St Petersburg FL
Username hidden
(989 posts)
You are correct in one aspect they did offer a higher wage than I did. However they soon discovered Why I was not gonna piss over these two traitor bastards. One is on adminitrative leave for failing a piss test and the other quit and asked me to take him back. Not gonna happen...Fuck him. I hired one experienced and one needing extensive training. The cost of training him certainly out weighs rehiring the experienced worker. But it will be worth it. He has a degree and is extremely safe and drug free.

The last time uaw finished negotiations was 8 years ago St. pete close enough.The one for years ago was so that GM and chrysler were considering plant closures like the GM plant that close here in St. Louis and New York. And as I have been saying this is the tip and begining of the end for all munufacturing jobs in the US. It Actually started when the teamsters took the textiles industry 20+ years ago. And shut down a mainstay in American culture and put its constituates out of work sending thousands of jobs overseas. Transpertation is next to go. I believe it will be in november. Pilots and airlines are due in december.Just in time for the holiday season. Keep assuming I hate Unions this is not true, I dont trust they are in it for the worker they are in it to line their pockets...

Imperial MO
Username hidden
(12441 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5
 1 to 10 of 46   End
TOPIC: Increased Minimum Wage