Immigration Compromise - Good Thing : Swingers Discussion 79255
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsImmigration Compromise - Good Thing
TOPIC: Immigration Compromise - Good Thing
Created by: dzzyred
Original Starting post for this thread:
In a striking reach across party lines, the White House and key lawmakers agreed Thursday on a sweeping immigration plan to grant legal status to millions of people in the country unlawfully. Sealed after months of secretive bargaining, the deal mandates bolstered border security and a high-tech employment verification system to prevent illegal workers from getting jobs.

President Bush said the proposal would "help enforce our borders but equally importantly, it'll treat people with respect."

The compromise brought together an unlikely alliance of liberal Democrats such as Sen. Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts and conservative Republicans such as Sen. Jon Kyl of Arizona on an issue that carries heavy potential risks and rewards for all involved.

GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
 1 to 10 of 52   End
User Details are only visible to members.
Lucky

And exactly where do you differ on what I said?

I specifically stated that the democrat senators would have blamed him!

What I said is the "democrat voters" not senators would have probably given him praise if he had been against it. Kinda of a mute point don't you think as he fervently backed this bill.

St Petersburg FL
Username hidden
(989 posts)
BS they would have flipped it and you know it, this President is damned if he does and damned if he doesnt. Dems would have rallied on it and said he doesnt care about reform or the Illegal Aliens in the country. LOL I know exactly what would have happened.Please keep in mind, I said I did not like the bill, No one did.

Saint Louis MO
Username hidden
(12440 posts)
Lucky

"And if Bush didnt support this bill how much hate would have gone his way? I can only imagine... "

From the citizens of this country? Probably would have been praised for beating it down by republicans and democrats alike. Out of the senate, probably a 33% minority blaming him with 67% supporting him. But you know he runs the country from his heart and stands his ground, not opinions expressed by his constituents (sp).

St Petersburg FL
Username hidden
(989 posts)
Lucky

See how much of a decider...oops divider this president is. Here you have an issue in which 75% of the public are in agreement. You are obviously happy the bill is defeated and so am I. Baaaaaddddd Bill....should not have become law. And you get hung up on me or the press claiming it to be Bush's bill. As angel said we all know that he didn't introduce the bill and I'll say again it was the 30+ democrat with which I am dissappointed in as well but he did however back the hell out of it and push, push, push for its passage and then finally in it's defeat he's on tv sounding all disappointed that it was beat back claiming what a mistake the senate has made.

St Petersburg FL
Username hidden
(989 posts)
And if Bush didnt support this bill how much hate would have gone his way? I can only imagine...

Saint Louis MO
Username hidden
(12440 posts)
Ok Lets call it the "Bush Supported Immigration Bill" then..

From your lips to the liberal press ear. Nope Se. Pete it is all bushs fault...Right? That was your contention earlier.And I Was just quoting the press. It was his baby right? Bad bill yes but it was not his bill he supported it he didnt write it. But headlines like this mislead the public. "The Bush Immagration Bill"... A quote from the NY Times...PFT

Saint Louis MO
Username hidden
(12440 posts)
sounds fair to me Angel

St Petersburg FL
Username hidden
(989 posts)
Sen

"StPete,

Pointing fingers at just one i.e; Bush, Kennedy, McCain, Fienstien or Reid is incorrect."

Ok, I'll admit that I didn't make myself totalling clear on this. Believe me, as a democrat, I was pissed at the approximate 33 democrats that were pushing for this bill (and praise the 15 that voted against it). However, my point is/was Bush was looking for this bill passage to calculate into his "legacy". And ultimately it would have been him to sign such a fucked up bill into law and therefore again ultimately he owns the bill, especially after it's dead he "vows" overseas or anywhere for that matter to revive it by twisting arms of republican senators who were keeping it from passing.

"I agree with you that I do not trust polls."

I don't think I exactly said that. I was making a point of hypocracy. Take for example the opinion polls concerning the war in Iraq. You have approximately 70% give or take that wanted something else to happen other than a surge (take that as getting out if you like). The people which seem to make up the 25% minority say "you can't run the government on polls". That is to say that the majority are dead wrong and we 25%ers know better. Then the percentages are flip flopped concerning immigration, 25% in favor and 75% against and it is said "majority" knows best.

I could be wrong but I feel "both" opinion polls, that being war approval and immigration approval......is "measuring the pulse of the citizens of this country" and therefore should be acknowledged.

St Petersburg FL
Username hidden
(989 posts)
StPete,

Pointing fingers at just one i.e; Bush, Kennedy, McCain, Fienstien or Reid is incorrect. This bill, which I agree with Lou Dobbs on, was just horrible. It's language and proposals solved nothing. The people that supported it and kept amending it into an even more ridiculous concept were from "both sides of the isle".

I agree with you that I do not trust polls. Most of the times they are biased in their questions and who is polled. Most polls are based on some type of demograhics i.e., where you live, heritage, political registration, religious beliefs etc. The poll reflecting this bill was not directed at a specific group, but was based on Americans across the country and covered all ethnic, political, religious and regional areas.

Minden NV
Username hidden
(4041 posts)
I hate to say this but Bush might be the biggest factor in getting Hillary elected. The Bush presidents have not had the best reputations as Presidents. Clinton will milk her husbands legacy and use the illogical argument that it will be all good as long as a Clinton is President. And that may work, especially if Iraq is still an issue by election time. As far as Immigration, I don't see her getting it done either. In fact if she does win, I would be amazed if she does more than 1 term. Of course she still has Obama to worry about.....but I have a feeling that he's really shooting for VP.

Arlington TX
Username hidden
(2284 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
 1 to 10 of 52   End
TOPIC: Immigration Compromise - Good Thing