Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Politics › IS OWEBAMA-CARE SCREWING YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW
TOPIC: IS_OWEBAMA-CARE_SCREWING_YOU_OR_SOMEONE_YOU_KNOW
Created by: HavingFunTogether2113 The original post for this thread was deleted.
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 205  Next »
1 to 10 of 2048
User Details are only visible to members.
I haven't been in that world since the late 1980's, so I have no idea on the pricing now...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19520 posts)
Correct re: the reinsurance, and yes that's what it was there for. But I'm not sure it was designed to be depleted as fast as it could be fed.

I have much more insiderish info with some companies than others. I am not a true insider with any, but I get to hear the grumblings of many.

Certain Medicaids plans could save a fucking fortune by hiring me to do their claims pricing instead of whatever band of monkeys they've got doing it.... I really need to revive my idea of going out on my own with that.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24831 posts)
The reinsurance fund was for exactly this contingency.

No one really knew how many and how sick the people would be that signed up. In exchange for forcing the insurance companies to sign up these people, the government would backstop their losses until they had enough claims history to price the policies accurately.

Both Anthem and Aetna (where I was a financial analyst) predict they will make money on the exchanges this year.

So we will see...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19520 posts)
Yes, I knew that.

And yes, we shall see.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19520 posts)
Did you know that the plans were backed by a reinsurance fund by the Feds to protect them from losses?

That fund was $25 billion. It will run out this year.

How many people have ACA plans (NOT Medicaid)? You're looking at a loss in the neighborhood of $10,000 per enrollee.

We personally had UHC plans when we were buying on the open market. Until the ACA declared that policy illegal.

I don't think ACA plans count as "individual" in the sense that they are tailored to the buyer. But, ok.

We shall see, won't we? Or will it even matter?

Kind of like Tesla. Anything can be "profitable" if you dump enough government money behind it.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24831 posts)
Well, it is widely speculated that United, while good at large group policies, sucks at almost every aspect of the individual market.

You have got 4 other companies in Arkansas that are presumably making money, since they are staying in the market.

To paraphrase Eastwood, a company's got to know it's limitations...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19520 posts)
United has forecast losses on ACA plans of $500 million for 2016. Unless the 500 sickest people in the world live in Arkansas and all signed up, those losses are coming from other states.

These are just the first two states; I am certain there will be more. It's easier to separate yourself from 500 enrollees instead of 200,000.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24831 posts)
I read somewhere that United had just over 500 Obama care policies in Arkansas. No way to have a risk pool with that number.

If that us the case, it is logical for them to drop out of that market.

But since there are 4 other players in the market (and 8 others in GA) I am inclined to think it a problem on United's side and not Obamacare.

But I could be wrong...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19520 posts)
Robert is onto something.

Even a broken clock...

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(24831 posts)
Let them leave, let every health insurer leave, and let the door hit them on their way out. Then we can finally turn to a national healthcare system, which will provide for the peoples needs. Despite what the media would have you believe, the Military has one of the best systems going. Any time I am sick, any time I am injured or in need, the VA has been there for me. Do I have to wait? Sure, no loner than I have had to wait for a private doctor in any particular case.

I once stepped on a nail while in the national guard, it went through my boot and into my foot. The private hospital I was ordered to, kept me waiting without medication for six hours as it treated people in the order in which they came. I had already removed the nail, boot and bandaged myself up, but the nail might have caused an infection, or i might have gotten lock jaw from the nail.

What was my wait time in the VA, at 10 PM at night? 2 hours, and that was because there were emergency cases of veterans with breathing and heart related problems, while I sat there with extreme pain. Pain doesn't kill you, not breathing or having a pulse does.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(8416 posts)
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 205  Next »
1 to 10 of 2048
TOPIC: IS OWEBAMA-CARE SCREWING YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.