Help
FORUMS › General Discussions › Politics › IRiS the Tax Dog, biting at the buttocks of those running away
TOPIC: IRiS_the_Tax_Dog,_biting_at_the_buttocks_of_those_running_away
Created by: vabeachcouple33
Original Starting post for this thread:
Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin renounced his US citizenship in 2011 and now lives in Singapore. He made this move shortly before Facebook announced its IPO intentions, on which Saverin stands to make around $4 billion in capital gains (the capital gains tax rate in Singapore is 0%).

Sens. Schumer and Bob Casey, D-Pa., will unveil the “Ex-PATRIOT Act” – “Expatriation Prevention by Abolishing Tax-Related Incentives for Offshore Tenancy”.

The senators call Saverin’s move an “outrage” and will outline their plan to re-impose taxes on expatriates like Saverin even after they flee the United States and take up residence in a foreign country. Their proposal would also impose a mandatory 30 percent tax on the capital gains of anybody who renounces their U.S. citizenship.

The plan would bar individuals like Saverin from ever reentering the United States again. ----------------- *cough cough*

Anyone want to ask me again why I continue to plod along in Green Card mode?

Rather than ask why some of the wealthy flee the country with their wealth, the focus is on how to obstruct them from doing so.

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 28  Next »
1 to 10 of 271
User Details are only visible to members.
IDIOT aka MORON

Thornton CO
Username hidden
(2708 posts)
Having:

Instead of me pointlessly trying to explain to you why a flat tax fails to provide for the nation, enough revenue as to enable the government to function, I'll instead give you this.

I'll look at your flat tax based ideals, once you embrace the idea of taxing poverty wage employers who's employees qualify for government aid, while raising 2 children, providing for their old age needs/savings/investments, while also providing meaningful medical (full coverage to include preventive and emergency care), from one 40 hour a week wage.

Stand up for basic human dignity, and I'll look at your evidence for a flat tax.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(8416 posts)
Well folks it's TAX TIME. If we had a FLAT TAX you wouldn't have to go through all of this. To start, how much does it cost you to prepare and file your income tax? Waste of money! A flat tax you would file a 3 line tax return. No deductions for anything. Everybody pays the same percentage. Just like a sales tax on things you purchase. IRS, reduced by 99%. Being a Entrepreneur all my life I know. "A good tax plan is a bad business plan and a good business plan is a bad tax plan". I know I've been there. Vote for a FLAT TAX and make your life easier.

Thornton CO
Username hidden
(2708 posts)
Jinx:

"Maybe, maybe not, but when you pay none you surely should then keep your piehole close about what others pay."

When you actually earn that money you make, then you can start taking this kind of attitude, but that would require this nation to embrace the idea of paying a living wage for all labor, as to disqualify the working man or woman from the government aid provided to people who work. Anything less than this, is a economy reliant upon redistribution of wealth, to justify the existence of walmart and such related employers.

If one followed the welfare money from the immediate recipient through the economy they would see the following.

generation from taxation --> government --> government employees and related distrution cost (support businesses which maintain the government buildings --> Low income Recipiant --> first business (walmart and such) --> management and investors

All along the way, the money you pay in taxes, that changes hands from the government to other buisnesses and the government employees, maintain other businesses which are receiving your tax dollars. Had you stood strong in demanding that the poverty wage employer be made to pay a living wage in the first place, these taxes would not exist or would be lowered. Their continued existance, is your fault for wanting to deny another person a fair wage for labors provided to a person who is profiting off the very systems put into place to enable people to live better than the Iraqi's and Afghani my family watched starve to death and so become motivated to take up arms against their established governments.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(8416 posts)
jinx, you got that right on

Christoval TX
Username hidden
(1144 posts)
I don't know that people who don't share an attribute should be prevented from commenting about that attribute.

I would likely never seek to prevent anyone. However, that doesn't mean i don't wish they would shut their piehole. Of course they are welcome to their opinion but this rich v. not rich thing has taken on a life of its own in America and I find it amazing when a guy who pays zero tries to tell a guy who pays about $500,000 in taxes that he is not paying his fair share.

Philadelphia PA
Username hidden
(2405 posts)
Re: withholding:

I don't think I've ever agreed with you so strongly.

Most people are completely unaware of what they pay in taxes. If you were to ask someone how much they paid this year, most would say "I didn't have to pay - I got a refund!". Oh God.

Can you imagine if everyone had to cut a check every year (or quarterly) for their social security, Medicare and income taxes? We had to for a time and trust me - writing checks for many thousands of dollars has a way of impressing upon you.

I mean, that's the way it USED to be for everyone, up until 1942 I think. Then Donald Duck came along and changed everything under the guise of defeating the Nazis. Thing is the Nazis went away but withholding didn't.

Ahhh.... The Spirit of '43.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25007 posts)
"We have lots of men giving their opinion about pregnancy and plenty of people who have never been poor telling poor people how they should live."

That's a fair comparison.

We also have lots of poor people telling rich people how they should live, women telling men they have no right to an opinion on pregnancy, and Californians telling Georgians how they should live.

Windermere FL
Username hidden
(25007 posts)
Most people don't really think about the implications of taxation. They get their paycheck, and other than maybe a little grumbling about the dollars, they don't think about what their money goes to.

So I don't think that $100 would materially change anyone's perspective. They never see the money, so they don't miss it.

Now if there were no withholding, them you would see a serious discussion about taxes...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19605 posts)
I don't know that people who don't share an attribute should be prevented from commenting about that attribute.

We have lots of men giving their opinion about pregnancy and plenty of people who have never been poor telling poor people how they should live.

The list is pretty much endless. All I ask is that these people at least try to understand the other side so they don't end up as a one trick pony...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(19605 posts)
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ... 28  Next »
1 to 10 of 271
TOPIC: IRiS the Tax Dog, biting at the buttocks of those running away
This site does not contain sexually explicit images as defined in 18 U.S.C. 2256.
Accordingly, neither this site nor the contents contained herein are covered by the record-keeping provisions of 18 USC 2257(a)-(c).
Disclaimer: This website contains adult material. You must be over 18 to enter or 21 where applicable by law.
All Members are over 18 years of age.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1998-2016 DashBoardHosting, LLC. All Rights Reserved.