Hold the Door Open or Walk Through and Let it Slam : Swingers Discussion 208735
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsHold the Door Open or Walk Through and Let it Slam
TOPIC: Hold the Door Open or Walk Through and Let it Slam
Created by: TheGhost_and_MrsMuir
Original Starting post for this thread:
Some of you have seen me tell my story. I came from nothing, foster homes and reformatories. I've educated myself, started and built several successful businesses and now working on my fourth. All my life I have been helped along by people along the way, strangers. A little help writing a bid, a connection, a heads up on business, forbearance on a bill; small things and large that we all experience during our lives. All these noble people asked but one thing of me; pass it on. Hold open the door for those coming up behind you as they did for me. It's called community. Being your brother's keeper.

Recently I have been blessed with a booming business and have found my greatest problem is finding 'good' people. I was using all the tools I had been taught over the years to hire but had little luck until I decided one interview to go with my gut. I hired a guy I swore I wouldn't.

This guy heard from a guy I rejected that I was looking for someone. I usually don't consider someone that applies like this for too many reasons to list, but this time I decided to make an exception. He had followed ALL the directions in the original ad (two weeks old) that his friend had NOT. Ok, I was 'impressed' enough to interview him. During the interview I tried to keep an open mind as asked my questions and listened to his answers.

My interview style is irreverent and offbeat, a method I learned when in my 'corporate' past from a really insightful CEO. My questions are unusual and candid, very probing in a friendly manner. During the interview he revealed he had a record, a felony, and 4 kids. He was divorced from two women and paying child support to both via the state because both where on TANF. I loath hiring people like this for many reasons, all the additional office work to name one, drama and 'relapse' another, but this guy seemed different. At one point I think he got the idea he was on the out says to me; " look, I want this job. I KNOW I can work hard and make myself valuable to you. I have four kids and all I want to do is be able to provide for them. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a job as a felon?"

Again, I was 'impressed' with his earnestness and his drive. I asked him to tell me more about himself and over the next 30 minutes he told me he was an Army vet and former MP. After discharge he was going to school to become a State cop and pretty much getting his shit together when his girlfriend got pregnant. Thinking he needed to make some fast money to get ahead of the situation he did a stupid thing and tried to pass a bad check with his old friends from the 'hood' and got busted.

After serving a small amount of time he has been struggling ever since. I went with my gut and hired him.

Well, in the last two weeks this guy HAS impressed me with his work ethic. He needs training and is a bit of a clutz (costing me a couple hundred in lost profit) but he takes responsibiulity for his shit at every turn and works like a demon. I'm going to keep him on staff and see foreman in him.

Glad I took a chance but if I had been a Republican, would I have done that? Would the meme coming down from the right have even allowed me to consider it?

Hold the door open. Why can't Republicans wrap their minds around this? How self serving and selfish can you be and retain your humanity and humility?

GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 5 of 5 
User Details are only visible to members.
Robert

Once again you would have been better off silent...

Felons are not a protected class of people. As a business I am fully allowed to 'discriminate' against felons if I choose to.

In fact I can and do 'discriminate' for things such as attitude, safety, ability and personal appearance as well. This is fully within my 'rights' as a business owner, to choose who I am willing to allow represent me and my business.

East Fishkill NY
Username hidden
(3579 posts)
Depending upon what your business is, some could say that your hiring practices could be biased against those with criminal records, (if the job he was applying for dealt with money... that would be a different story given his past) those with kids. (nothing could get you around this) and those who apply based upon referrals from those you declined employment for.

All of which just about every employer does anyway, but don't admit to it. So I would say that your candor is the only thing not done by most. Most just talk a nice talk and then say that they'll get back to you. (which you immediately know that you didn't get the job... and that this was the polite way of saying don't apply again.)

Glade he worked out for you... or seems to be working out for you.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7366 posts)
Does ANYONE else here operate like this or know someone who do? Results?

I consider this the cutting edge of how companies will operate in the next 15 years....

East Fishkill NY
Username hidden
(3579 posts)
This week I decided to finally start up a new division to the company and hire a ‘manager’ to develop it. Understand my ‘managers’ get just as dirty or more so than my labor does…

I put out an ad and immediately got a resume that intrigued me. I’m NOT looking for someone to soak up a paycheck and get along. I’m looking for an entrepenure that wants to get out of doing the books. No guarrenties, lots of support in advertising, front and back office and regulation compliance.

We talked for a couple of hours and had a good feeling about each other. This guy has chops, his own tools AND a ‘book’ of his own clients. I gave him my usual choice. “Go home, talk with your family, see if you still want to take the jump…

Today we have been hammering out the details. I don’t need to make all the money or ‘be the boss’ in my business. I MUCH prefer to give someone with a fire in their belly their head of steam and support them than manage with an iron fist from the top down.

So far it’s done rather well for me, but I wonder; could a Republican even consider operating like this? Could any Republican in THIS forum be willing to hold open such a big door?

Somehow I doubt that…

East Fishkill NY
Username hidden
(3579 posts)
Some of you have seen me tell my story. I came from nothing, foster homes and reformatories. I've educated myself, started and built several successful businesses and now working on my fourth. All my life I have been helped along by people along the way, strangers. A little help writing a bid, a connection, a heads up on business, forbearance on a bill; small things and large that we all experience during our lives. All these noble people asked but one thing of me; pass it on. Hold open the door for those coming up behind you as they did for me. It's called community. Being your brother's keeper.

Recently I have been blessed with a booming business and have found my greatest problem is finding 'good' people. I was using all the tools I had been taught over the years to hire but had little luck until I decided one interview to go with my gut. I hired a guy I swore I wouldn't.

This guy heard from a guy I rejected that I was looking for someone. I usually don't consider someone that applies like this for too many reasons to list, but this time I decided to make an exception. He had followed ALL the directions in the original ad (two weeks old) that his friend had NOT. Ok, I was 'impressed' enough to interview him. During the interview I tried to keep an open mind as asked my questions and listened to his answers.

My interview style is irreverent and offbeat, a method I learned when in my 'corporate' past from a really insightful CEO. My questions are unusual and candid, very probing in a friendly manner. During the interview he revealed he had a record, a felony, and 4 kids. He was divorced from two women and paying child support to both via the state because both where on TANF. I loath hiring people like this for many reasons, all the additional office work to name one, drama and 'relapse' another, but this guy seemed different. At one point I think he got the idea he was on the out says to me; " look, I want this job. I KNOW I can work hard and make myself valuable to you. I have four kids and all I want to do is be able to provide for them. Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a job as a felon?"

Again, I was 'impressed' with his earnestness and his drive. I asked him to tell me more about himself and over the next 30 minutes he told me he was an Army vet and former MP. After discharge he was going to school to become a State cop and pretty much getting his shit together when his girlfriend got pregnant. Thinking he needed to make some fast money to get ahead of the situation he did a stupid thing and tried to pass a bad check with his old friends from the 'hood' and got busted.

After serving a small amount of time he has been struggling ever since. I went with my gut and hired him.

Well, in the last two weeks this guy HAS impressed me with his work ethic. He needs training and is a bit of a clutz (costing me a couple hundred in lost profit) but he takes responsibiulity for his shit at every turn and works like a demon. I'm going to keep him on staff and see foreman in him.

Glad I took a chance but if I had been a Republican, would I have done that? Would the meme coming down from the right have even allowed me to consider it?

Hold the door open. Why can't Republicans wrap their minds around this? How self serving and selfish can you be and retain your humanity and humility?

East Fishkill NY
Username hidden
(3579 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 ... More 
 1 to 5 of 5 
TOPIC: Hold the Door Open or Walk Through and Let it Slam