High School Student Disarms Gunman – Gets Suspended For ‘Involvement in Violent Incident’ : Swingers Discussion 2180171021
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsHigh School Student Disarms Gunman – Gets Suspended For ‘Involvement in Violent Incident’
TOPIC: High School Student Disarms Gunman – Gets Suspended For ‘Involvement in Violent Incident’
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 ... More 
Start   21 to 30 of 30 
User Details are only visible to members.
cplo:

The school districts will never learn to do better until they lose something of importance. A career is important, money (more so in tough times) is important.

You don't damage someones reputation and not lose something huge.

Even if you fix the record, the colleges can find the old records... With the advancement of tech, this becomes easier to do. Further the very fact that their names were put into the paper as suspended, the fact that this information is on the net adds to the likelihood of the colleges finding out about it during a simple electronic background check cross referencing names on data bases.

High end businesses do this kind of thing, high end colleges will be the next to adopt its use.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7576 posts)
Out: Your analogy reads like this: Doctor to patient: Well I have really good news but I also have some bad news. The bad news is: You have stage 4 cancer. The really good news is: You have about six more weeks to live! Goodness man. Those kids are suspended! Now they have to defend themselves against a permanent record on their school files. I guess in your way of thinking, it is more moral to sit and do nothing. More moral to be a victim than it is to be fighter. More moral to be dead than alive. Dude that is fucked up.

Tulare CA
Username hidden
(1880 posts)
Christ, the school doesn't owe the kid or his parents a dime. There is no mental anguish or pain and suffering.

They owe him an apology, then a thank you for preventing a murder on their bus, and then removing the blemish from his transcripts/student record. Then they give him an appropriate amount of time to make up the work he missed during his suspension so he can get caught up. That's it.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3203 posts)
While I can not read out's postings, I must say that I agree with cplo and Vacp in this regard. The suspensions were wrong, they were an example of bad judgment on the schools part.

Make no mistake, what the principle to the highest school official do, is the doings of the entire school district.

As for suspensions not hurting these students? False. If you aren't in class, you aren't learning. That does hurt. Worst yet, the student doesn't live in a bubble where if found to have taken the correct action, they won't be jaded by the experience of the suspension.

Not only do you suffer immediately with the missed classwork, but colleges will be more likely to deny your application on the grounds that you are a bad student. (the best colleges won't even consider you if you have any blemish what so ever) So a suspension is also a long term detriment to the good student.

Personally i would sue the entire school district for something in the ball park of 100,000 damages or more. Plus the demand that the hired officials who suspended my child be fired and or if elected, that they must step down from the school board.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7576 posts)
Just because it's "better" doesn't mean it's right.

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3203 posts)
What part of "Being suspended a few days is a lot better than being dead forever." is unclear?

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
Out, so it would have been better for him to sit there and maybe get killed?? He stood up and took charge. He decided not to be a victim. He may have saved several lives and he is being punished for it. It kinda reminds me of Flight 93. It's better to go down fighting than to be slaughtered like a sheep.

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
You may rest assured that this is really "suspension pending an investigation". No point in imagining you know the whole story. It could be that some kids provoked other kids, someone was bullying, someone was over-reacting to bullying, etc.

Being suspended a few days is a lot better than being dead forever. Saving your own life isn't necessarily "heroism".

Flat Rock NC
Username hidden
(2984 posts)
WTF? Once that kid pulled his gun, EVERY student on that bus was part of an incident that involved a weapon. So why not suspend the whole lot of them? These kids are basically being suspended for having a gun pulled on them. Reminds me of Beverly Hills Cop when Foley gets arrested for Disorderly Conduct after being thrown out of a window and he asks the cop "What's the charge for getting thrown out of a moving car? Jaywalking?"

I don't think too many of us would ever really encourage our kids to play the hero in that type of situation because none of us would want our kids to put themselves in harms way, but how the hell do you justify punishing kids for potentially saving lives?

T

Danville PA
Username hidden
(3203 posts)
A Florida high school student and his friends discovered the truth of the cynical adage that “no good deed goes unpunished” when he was suspended for disarming a fellow student on the school bus. The teens, all students at Cypress Lake High School in Fort Myers, Florida, were on a school bus when two students got into a heated argument. One of them then pulled a loaded .22 caliber revolver on the other, and aimed it at his head.

One of the suspended students, who spoke later with WFTX-TV news, knew instantly that this was no prank.

“I think he was really going to shoot him right then and there,” said the unnamed student, whose identity is being kept secret for his safety. “Not taking no pity.”

Witnessing this life-threatening situation, the teen and two others tackled and disarmed the suspect. When the police arrived at the scene, they arrested the gun-wielding student, Quadryle Davis, and charged him with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon “without intent” to kill.

If the teens who stopped this aggravated assault expected to be hailed as heroes when they returned to school, they were certainly in for a surprise. What actually happened was that, the very next day, the school suspended all three of them. The teen who spoke to WFTX-TV news was shocked.

“How they going to suspend me for doing the right thing?”

The school justified the suspension, which lasted for the rest of the week, on the ground that the students who prevented a deadly shooting were part of an “incident” involving a weapon. Alberto Rodriquez, speaking on behalf of the Lee County School District, stated that “If there is a potentially dangerous situation, Florida law allows the principal to suspend a student immediately pending hearing.”

The unnamed student’s mother was disgusted with the whole thing. “Those kids had to fight for their lives,” she said. “All the kids that was involved in this, they should have a pat on their backs because they did the right thing to save someone from burying their child.”

Those who pay attention to the news might be a little less surprised than, although quite as disgusted as, the young man’s mother. In the wake of the Sandy Hook shooting, schools around the country have reacted with unseemly hysteria at the slightest hint of “gun thinking.” No guns need actually be involved for the schools to act.

In mid-February, a seven-year-old boy in Loveland, Colorado was suspended from school after he entertained himself by throwing an imaginary grenade at a box that he had peopled with equally imaginary bad guys. According to Mary Blair Elementary School, the boy broke the school’s rigid rule against pretend weapons and pretend fighting. One assumes that those activities take the children’s attention away from the pretend learning that goes on in too many American public schools.

One would think that this “imaginary grenade” event, which was widely mocked, would have stopped schools in their mad rush to imagine guns into oblivion, but such was not the case.

Berryville VA
Username hidden
(1750 posts)
GoTo Page: 1 2 3 ... More 
Start   21 to 30 of 30 
TOPIC: High School Student Disarms Gunman – Gets Suspended For ‘Involvement in Violent Incident’