Here is why banning weapons won't set us free from fear : Swingers Discussion 2139541011
Busy Swingers Forum - everything you always wanted to know about swingers.
SwingLifeStyle Swingers Personal Ads. | SwingLifeStyle Swingers Clubs

Busy Swingers Forum

Everything you always wanted to know about swingers.

Create A Free Account

HELP
FORUMSGeneral DiscussionsPoliticsHere is why banning weapons won't set us free from fear
TOPIC: Here is why banning weapons won't set us free from fear
GoTo Page: Less ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... More 
Start   11 to 20 of 167   End
User Details are only visible to members.
The Ghost_, the only thing a corporation can do to you is take a product away or try to sell you an inferior one. You then have the privildge of not doing business with them. It is your choice. A government may take from you and then force you by fine, tax or imprisonment to accept the decision they have made for you. Your beliefs are yours and you are entitled to them but don't try force those ideas on us that believe differently. Those of us who beieve in our Constitution and the Bill of Rights deserve to hold them dearly, just as we do our guns and bibles.

Spring Branch TX
Username hidden
(323 posts)
I agree. There isn't much we can do about both of TBR's examples and as near as I can tell, they are the majority of the murders which occur and make the statistics.

Take their guns and they will use the next best thing. The problem remains, man kills man... Often only 1-2 men, not 30.

Can you stop this? No.

Can you reduce the numbers with fire arm bans? Sure... At the cost of someone else's freedom that they value... Someone who won't be there when someone else comes for your valued freedom.

Will mental health solve all? No. But it will paint us a better picture of what is wrong with many of these mass killers, what triggers them, and most importantly, how to prevent or treat them.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7576 posts)
I believe that in most murders, the killer knew the victim. Those don't make the news like the murder of someone who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and is killed by a total stranger.

Brooklyn Park MN
Username hidden
(3843 posts)
Robert actually makes a good point here.

We tend to take notice and get the vapors when some guy goes out and shoots multie people.

However, that is not the norm.

IMHO, the majority of gun murders fall into two categories.

First are the crime related killings, which we probably can't do much about.

The other main category are those mostly law abiding, regular Joe's who have some major stressor, such as a divorce or job loss, and cant handle it. Or maybe they get liquored up, and something pisses them off, and they react without thinking.

I dont know that there is much we can do about that, either.

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17357 posts)
Jack:

Actually I never said to tax weapon owners more for the extra security. Mostly because the extra security isn't going to work to make us more safe and the nuts who commi these crimes often illegally aquire the weapons.

If you make the school safe, the nut hits a hospital. Make the school and hospital safe, the nut hits a day care center. Make all three safe, the nut starts hitting church services.

Safety is the illusion, I never felt safe growing up... I learned to feel safe within the confines of my own mind for that is the only safe place we actually have.

More guns isn't the answer, it isn't even a stop gap. I have nothing against someone owning any kind of weapon so long as they can deploy it safely. An at-15 inside a city is over powered and if you are under attack by those using such weapons... Rest assured that in a city the police response is swift.

In the country or other areas, you have the freedom to use a weapon which will shoot through walls, but in a city you must remain concerned about those who aren't involved and are in their own homes... You are responsible for each and every round you fire... No matter if the red army is invading or not.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7576 posts)
We may need a new gov agency that monitors how much violent video time one experiences ! ! ! LOL

Greenville SC
Username hidden
(363 posts)
Robert has been playing too many video games, they tend to skew a weak mind to warped sense of state.

Sanford NC
Username hidden
(19410 posts)
Robert Hil does raise some interesting points on here. His points may not be mine, but I listen openly to the ideas from others. He may not be pro-gun, but I think he is offering some interesting thoughts from one who isn't in the gun camp. In one case for example, I agree, an AR-15 would only do so much against a real invader. But the middle east and Viet Nam has shown us that guerilla tactics by enough local insurgents can ruin the occupying country's plans.

I am not as worried about being invaded by another country as I am seeing an attack by one or more criminals. But the again who knows... Things change. The Roman Empire did not last forever.

If one looks at a county map of the USA, Obama won the most populated areas. Almost all the rural places went republican. In rural places, where the county sheriff's department has a response time of 2 hours, you better have an instrument with which you can protect yourself. Sometimes I think it may be no better in the cities. But people live under the illusion that the police will be right there if they need them. I remember some law suits against some urban LE agencies in the early 80's, when they did not show up in time to protect somebody. The result was that the lawsuits failed. So you have to protect yourself.

(I think it was Robert who) asked if I would be willing to pay a tax on weapons and ammo. There already is a federal tax on both. I personally would not rule out a small tax if that money were used to enhance safety at schools, large assemblies. What the hell, the price of ammo might actually go down.

Of course, any new ammo and gun tax would have other earmarks and pork attached to it; most of which would rub my fur the wrong way. So again, I am open minded, but necessarily in agreement with such a tax.

I think this discussion has been good on here. I think most of us agree that we need some improved security for our schools and assemblies without them turning into little prison-like facilities.

As a gun owner, I just don't want to see us go down the slippery slope of banning the 'worst/scariest weapon available' one at a time.

For what it's worth in regard to incidents that I directly know about first or second hand (not stuff from the news media)... either friends, family or just one step removed from that.. I know of many more cases of firearms being used in legal self defense than of them used in crimes or even suicides.

Sadly, I do know of guns being stolen from homes (and one case of a National Guard Armory.) I don't think that we need more legislation in this regard. But I do urge every gun owner to periodically check their security so that we do minimize guns getting into the wrong hands.

Greenville SC
Username hidden
(363 posts)
Nor:

You speak of small worlds? That is cute. No really it is. First if you have been reading what I write... I am not trying to take your guns from you... I simply denounce your warped sense of power and control that those guns give you.

A small mind needs a gun to protect themselves... A weak person needs to live day to day in fear, and only cowards live long lives.

As for the power you and your pales think you command with your guns... No matter how many you have, no matter what kind your have... Your piss ass AR-15 isn't going to stop a wired controlled, toe launched rocket from smashing through your front door and turning your entire home into a creator.

So no. I have no fear that you and your pales as you call them can overthrow our democratically elected government should it decide to take away your second amendment.

Though politically I protect your right to own every form of weapon on earth. (so long as you show propped care for it.) I do not take part in ownership of such weapons... And my protection of your rights are more driven out if using you as a pawn to protect my games and other media from equally fearful cowards on the left who would after baning your guns, ban my media... Just to feel more safe.

So go right on ahead and have your guns. Shoot them all you want. In fact you keep people employed by owning and using them... Good job. That is about the only that a boy you will get from me as I reject your more guns make us safer theory...

If it worked, Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, libya, and somolia would be very safe countries to live in.

Hazle Township PA
Username hidden
(7576 posts)
"It's a cultural problem........created with good intent and FEELINGS by Democrats."

That can't be. It has to be gun control...

Fullerton CA
Username hidden
(17357 posts)
GoTo Page: Less ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... More 
Start   11 to 20 of 167   End
TOPIC: Here is why banning weapons won't set us free from fear